Panasonic G20 Owners Thread - part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing with the settings on different inputs and it definitely isn't just THX Mode that is universal to all inputs, it seems if you change the any Presets levels (brightness for example) it changes across all inputs. I really thought the G20 had a per-input memory for settings.

I guess it doesn't really matter to be honest anyway because I typically use THX for almost everything with the sharpness knocked down a bit.

I'm pretty sure it's only the two Professional modes that are "per input"

Did somebody already calibrate his pana G20?
Do you clearly see the difference?

I have an engineer coming to look at mine next Tuesday. No doubt they won't see the phosphor trails but at least I can demonstrate the unbalanced phosphor decay (which is what I think is happening) on the computer games.

Pity because the TV is just starting to produce some beautiful pictures in HD.

Got my G20 yesterday. Quick setup. Very impressed with picture quality in SD.
Connect up humax setbox box and DVD player...

Has anyone bought the panasonic dongle? Where is cheapest place ot get it?
Which one of the picture presets would you guys recommend for watching sport i.e. world cup..
How many hours do I need to wait to run it in before attempting calibration...

Thanks.

Has anyone bought the panasonic dongle? Where is cheapest place ot get it?

There seems to be some sort of price fixing going on with the dongle. Either that or a very slim margin for retailers as it's going for ~£80 everywhere I've looked. One option is to get it from the States but you may get hit with import duty and VAT.

I'm going to run a network cable to the TV first to see of the online functions are actually worth £80. Somehow I don't think they are, plus I think it will only play mpeg files via DLNA which is pretty poor.

Last edited:
Just going to take my Wii round to a Panasonic store and see what happens on their G20, V20, and VT20. Will be interesting to see how the VT20 reacts with its faster phosphors.

Had a look at the running time on mine and it's now at 80 hrs. Up close, the white text on the black background in the service menu made me feel ill.

Up close, the white text on the black background in the service menu made me feel ill.

Don't understand this bit.

Green flashes with the contrasting on the small white text against the black background.

Green flashes with the contrasting on the small white text against the black background.
But this is up close, right, not normal viewing distances?

It's worse up close, yes. But, I've just stood at the doorway of my lounge which is probably 17-18 feet away and I see flashes.

No-one else sees them. Showed my wife a B&W movie this morning and she thought she saw a bit of green, once.

It's maddening and Colonel Basic is right, it is an obsession. I've been dreaming about it.:eek:

It's worse up close, yes. But, I've just stood at the doorway of my lounge which is probably 17-18 feet away and I see flashes.

No-one else sees them. Showed my wife a B&W movie this morning and she thought she saw a bit of green, once.

It's maddening and Colonel Basic is right, it is an obsession. I've been dreaming about it.:eek:

The only green your wife seen was probably looking at you turn into the hulk :rotfl:

There are effects like that, with white on black, just due to our eyes. And in any case, you don't seem to have mentioned this before, so I'm guessing you didn't notice it playing games or watching movies. I wouldn't worry about this one. I certainly wouldn't worry about a problem I have to look for to see.

The blue/yellow separation is another thing. It sounds like you can't help but see that, like I can't help seeing the slight red/green tint in bland scenes and on faces.

I think I saw floating blacks the other night. That's another one I'm not going to be losing sleep over: it's almost never happening where I'm actually looking.

Go speak with the retailer and tell them all your problems explain you can’t take it anymore and see if you can get a refund, you obviously don’t like the set so just try and get a refund or a credit for something else.
You are obsessed about it.

Go speak with the retailer and tell them all your problems explain you can’t take it anymore and see if you can get a refund, you obviously don’t like the set so just try and get a refund or a credit for something else.
You are obsessed about it.

You could be more helpful than that: I'd have thought you'd offer to swap your Kuro for his G20! Though actually, I think I may be even more obsessed than he, so maybe let me have it... ah, go on! :laugh:

You could be more helpful than that: I'd have thought you'd offer to swap your Kuro for his G20! Though actually, I think I may be even more obsessed than he, so maybe let me have it... ah, go on! :laugh:
Would you like the wall bracket too????
Oh and ive just sent off for some appollos, how about i redirect them to your place.
Do you like single malt ;)

:laugh: at (I mean with, no at) you two.

I did ring the dealer and I'm going to view some sets this afternoon to see if they have the phosphor decay issue and also see if I get trailing on them. An engineer is coming out on Tuesday (although that might change depending on how I get on this afternoon).

Will see what happens.

Would you like the wall bracket too????
Oh and ive just sent off for some appollos, how about i redirect them to your place.
Do you like single malt ;)

Oh no, never let it be said that I'm greedy. Just the Kuro will do fine. :D

Just going to take my Wii round to a Panasonic store and see what happens on their G20, V20, and VT20. Will be interesting to see how the VT20 reacts with its faster phosphors.

Had a look at the running time on mine and it's now at 80 hrs. Up close, the white text on the black background in the service menu made me feel ill.

It wil be even worse for you in the SM as it auto switches to Dynamic when you enter:eek:

To be honest mate I don't think these TV's are for you, get it returned asap and start looking in to other brands/technologies. You'll be a difficult customer to please, whatever you choose, but best of luck:)

You'll be a difficult customer to please, whatever you choose, but best of luck:)
Oh marky mark, you’re not my boss from work nom de plume are you :eek:
you are just like him :D

For mrsmr2 - good luck fella. Let is know how you get on, especially with the engineer as would like to hear what the official line is. Also curious whether you notice the problems when you demo.

I have come across an issue - when on the HDD menu/ list of recordings I have noticed that the brightness starts jumping around all over the place really rapidly. Like floating blacks but the entire screen. Anyone else had this? Doesn't do it on any other inputs.

PLEASE do that!:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom