Panasonic G20 Owners Thread - part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pixmania have the 42" for £883 and the 46" for £983 plus discount codes available to take another £25 off. They don't have the 46" in stock until 9th April.

Seems they have noticed an error as 42" has now gone up to £987.55 but they still have the 46" advertised at £983. ???? something a little strange there me thinks.

In regards to THX I keep it on all the time although i find that it is at its best on an evening, i watched both toy story 1&2 the other evening and i was gobsmacked at how good the picture was i just couldnt stop grinning. however when watching the same during daylight i found the picture whilst good, it wasnt bright enough and looked a llittle washed out, notch the brightness up a little tho and looks great again! so overall im very happy with this mode, plus its great for gaming

regards

Musicville

TV is all but 24 hours old and already I'm impressed... SD is almost HD!

I seem to have a similar white line thing going on as 'rchads89' and 'deckardian' in 16:9 (part 1 thread). It only happens on the AV1 input/SCART (don’t laugh!) starting on the top left and is like the line in the middle of the road, extending to 1/2 of the screen. AV2 is fine... and I'm not happy enabling 16:9 Overscan...

Any other suggestions? Is this usual behaviour? I may put a call into Panny.
This is not a fault. This happens with SD broadcasts, the top/bottom pixels contain "data" for teletext etc. Your old CRT would overscan automatically. Now you have the option. You wont see it on HD broadcasts.

Try adjusting the overscan settings on your computer (e.g. if it's ATI).
It's Nvidia....there has to be a setting somewhere but I can't find it. it's annoying not beeing able to see the entire desktop.

Im thinking of setting up a freesat dish for freesat HD as my aerial for freeview is rubbish!!! It gets the channels but its not really that good its like 20 year old!

So my question is if i buy a dish and the cable does the G20 already have a good high end reciever inbuilt?

This is not a fault. This happens with SD broadcasts, the top/bottom pixels contain "data" for teletext etc. Your old CRT would overscan automatically. Now you have the option. You wont see it on HD broadcasts.

Hi rewerb,

This is not from SD or Freeview, it’s from whichever device is attached to AV1. I.e. attach a PVR to AV1 and the line is there. Move the PVR to AV2 and the line is not there. Move the DVD from AV2 to AV1 and the line is there....

I have now had my G20 for about three weeks, and I'm very happy with the set bar a few things:

1 - The black level on the set is nowhere near what I was hoping for; when the lights are off for a movie (or game) and the screen goes black the set produces a noticeable glow - more so than my older Philips PFL9632 LCD set.

2 - The set buzzes loud enough to affect my enjoyment of a movie with a quiet score and lots of dialogue. It's fine when there's lots of action but otherwise I can easily hear plasma buzz from my sofa (2 metres from the set). The buzz noticeably changes pitch from bright to dark scenes.

I have the TV set to THX mode with noise reduction and CATS off, gamma set to 2.2 with small adjustments to improve colour reproduction, IFC is also off.

Do you think if I ring Panasonic they will claim the set to be working to spec? I sell TVs for a living, and I've had a listen to all plasma sets in our store - our display G20 is the only one that I can hear producing a buzzing sound, but it seems less evident than on my set at home, even accounting for the noisier environment. I've had a read on here about the sets buzzing but few people seem to notice it at any distance from their sets.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Last edited:
If it helps mine is noticeable from 3 meters away... which is a lot noisier than the CRT it replaced... :(

If it helps mine is noticeable from 3 meters away... which is a lot noisier than the CRT it replaced... :(

I used to own an older Plasma that buzzed a lot louder but after inspection by a local "Panasonic" certified engineer it was found to be "in spec". The TV I replaced it with buzzed a whole lot less. Seems to be the luck of the draw :mad:

I used to own an older Plasma that buzzed a lot louder but after inspection by a local "Panasonic" certified engineer it was found to be "in spec". The TV I replaced it with buzzed a whole lot less. Seems to be the luck of the draw :mad:

Thanks Tutu.

Blackbartblues - may be worth us contacting Panny to see what they say. Nothing ventured nothing gained... I chose the 42G40 knowing there may be a slight buzz, like the CRT it replaced, but mines like having a wasp trapped in a tin can....

Im thinking of setting up a freesat dish for freesat HD as my aerial for freeview is rubbish!!! It gets the channels but its not really that good its like 20 year old!

So my question is if i buy a dish and the cable does the G20 already have a good high end reciever inbuilt?

Anyone???

:D

Intelligent Frame Creation: Has any tried the G20 with IFC on and off? How effective is it at reducing judder? IFC on the S10 seems to make barely any difference.

It has a satellite receiver that is capable of receiving HD broadcasts. Not sure what you mean by 'high end' though?

I mean if i buy a dish and put it on and run the cable into the tv is that all i need to recieve freesat HD?

I mean if i buy a dish and put it on and run the cable into the tv is that all i need to recieve freesat HD?

yes(though obviously you will need to align it and buy a LNB too,unless i comes with the dish)

yes(though obviously you will need to align it and buy a LNB too,unless i comes with the dish)

You can get a complete kit for about £30 off eBay. Pretty easy to do but you will ideally need a compass or iPhone (yes, there is an app for that). Personally I would get a new aerial though.

Intelligent Frame Creation: Has any tried the G20 with IFC on and off? How effective is it at reducing judder? IFC on the S10 seems to make barely any difference.

I dont have G20 only G10 but like your S10 IFC has little or no effect,
Had a play with a G20 and the input actually dissapears when toggling IFC on/off like something is actually happening ;):)

Is it me or is Panasonics £1099 RRP for the 42" looking a bit overpriced now - the Samsung 50" with Freeview HD is £949 at JL :rolleyes:

I was going to wait to get a new TV but oh my a Bush 32" LCD is doing my head in.... (it's not mine).

IFC:
I tried playing about with this the other day when the football was on and i actually found the motion to be worse with this on as it was causing the ball when moving across the screen to have a noticable blurring or trail. When reading around this I read somewhere that this is due to the television inserting an extra frame which it can sometimes get wrong resulting in unnatural motion and strange things being noticed on screen. I cant remember where i read this though :facepalm: think it is a similar thing to LCD Hz rates though. Hope that helps,

Regards

Musicville

Has anyone checked the service menu for a secret "enable MKV support" option :rotfl:

I've had no answer from Panasonic UK.

In regards to THX I keep it on all the time although i find that it is at its best on an evening, i watched both toy story 1&2 the other evening and i was gobsmacked at how good the picture was i just couldnt stop grinning. however when watching the same during daylight i found the picture whilst good, it wasnt bright enough and looked a llittle washed out, notch the brightness up a little tho and looks great again! so overall im very happy with this mode, plus its great for gaming

regards

Musicville

Ive found this also. Probably the ambient light in the room making the picture and contrast seem less effective during daylight.

Alright cool... Yeah was looking at this kit for £40 that has a LMB etc it can get SKYHD channels so it should be no problem for FREESAT HD....

SO i just need the DISH/LMB/CABLE and then plug into the back of the tv?

It's pretty good. I think it's limited by the general upscaling quality of the set . I connected my Sky+ via RGB to my Panasonic DVD recorder, which has an upscaled HDMI output and I think this is a slightly better picture that the native freesat in the G20. Having said that I resurected my S-VHS recorder today ( since I at last have two scarts, RGB /and/ one with Super video inputs LOL ) and it's looks pretty dam good with that too !

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom