Panasonic G20 or G30?

matt_griff

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, im looking for a new tv and after reading through loads of reviews i have narrowed it down to a few.

Panasonic TX-P50G20B or the TX-P50G30B

now i know there is a couple of hundred difference between the two as the the G30 is the newest model but is there much difference between the two and is it worth the extra?

is the G30 released yet as i can only find it for sale in a handfull of shops. if not when is it released?

would you choose another tv and why?

:smashin:

Hi, im looking for a new tv and after reading through loads of reviews i have narrowed it down to a few.

now i know there is a couple of hundred difference between the two as the the G30 is the newest model but is there much difference between the two and is it worth the extra?

is the G30 released yet as i can only find it for sale in a handfull of shops. if not when is it released?

Although some people don't suffer, the G20 can be plauged with problems - most common are the 50hz motion bug (do a search on this forum for more info on that one) floating blacks, loud audio buzz, bad DFC/posterisation and screen flicker sometimes....

As I say some say they don't suffer with any of these issues, but because I know of (and have a V20 - very similar which also has these issues) all these problems or "issues" as Panasonic call them, I would be tempted to wait for the newer G30....

The G20 is only "plagued with problems" insofar as most other sets are; if you buy it you'll be getting an excellent set which won't be equalled price/feature wise (freesat etc) until Samsung release their new sets, or possibly until the G30 hits Christmas price reductions. There are plenty of much worse options and most considered better would be down to personal preference: If you need decent mll and you're worried about floating blacks just try watching most LCDs!

If I was you I would wait till the G30 reviews start to pop up and the user threads. Nobody can say the G30 will be better untill there released.
If you cant wait go for the G20 but they do have there issues as stated above.

The problem with waiting for the G30 is that stocks of the G20 are running low and the best deals may not be around for long, right now it costs £799 for the 50G20 which puts it in competition with the 50c3, which is no competition.

The real question is whether for £800 you'd rather have the g20 now, the free-satless S30 in 3-5 months or the G30 around Christmas.

There's always Samsung or LG but their price/performance superiority falls apart a little once you hit the top end.

The G20 is only "plagued with problems" insofar as most other sets are; if you buy it you'll be getting an excellent set which won't be equalled price/feature wise (freesat etc) until Samsung release their new sets, or possibly until the G30 hits Christmas price reductions. There are plenty of much worse options and most considered better would be down to personal preference: If you need decent mll and you're worried about floating blacks just try watching most LCDs!

Point taken, but if you have a set like mine (V20, so very similar set) with some of the common issue's then you'll know what I mean!

Obviously the G20, like the V20 is an excellent tv. But, as I suppose applies to many brands and models, if you end up with a "dud" like I have that is supposedly "within spec" then you'll be pretty peed off!

ok thanks for the replys.

i want to buy within the next 2 months Max.
dont really want to spend over a £1000 to be honest.

so what would you choose?

I was hoping for one of the new VT range but it would appear the prices are bit shocking (for me anyway).

So I'm waiting to see how the G30 fairs once its been released, might have to go down that route now.

If you think something like floating blacks will bother you then don't risk it with the G20. If you have an eye for things like that you will not be able to live with it. Definitely wait for the G30

yes if you look back at the thread, csbiow wrote it (8.3.11 at 5.04 pm ) and I was just wondering where that member saw it because I'm also wondering which one to get out of those two.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Scoobs,

This deal has been posted many times already, in the V20 thread and the Panasonic 2011 thread for example. I got John Lewis to price match it. I live in London, but I don't know if that mattered as far as price-matching goes, as I'm probably over 15 miles away from RGB.

Do you read anything here, or just post? :devil:

Scoobs,

This deal has been posted many times already, in the V20 thread and the Panasonic 2011 thread for example. I got John Lewis to price match it. I live in London, but I don't know if that mattered as far as price-matching goes, as I'm probably over 15 miles away from RGB.

Do you read anything here, or just post? :devil:

What can I say, I'm a chatterbox:laugh:.......oh, and DOH!......mind you OP may like to know anyway.;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom