Panasonic G15 Series Thread

Richdog

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I haven't seen these discussed much lately, i'm not sure whether that's because they aren't as cost-effective as the G10 or as well-featured as the V10.

TX-P42G15 & TX-P46G15

• Full HD Plasma TV
  • Thinner 2" Bezel
  • Receives freesat (free digital satellite broadcasts)
  • 600Hz Sub-field Drive Intelligent Frame Creation Pro
  • Infinite Black with over 2,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast (Native 40,000:1)
  • VIERA CAST
  • DLNA (DviX/JPEG/MPEG2)
  • Smart Networking with VIERA Link and VIERA Image Viewer (AVCHD/DviX/JPEG)
  • V-Audio ProSurround

Panasonic specs page: VIERA Plasma and LCD TVs - VIERA Plasma TV - TX-P42G15 - Overview - UK & Ireland

AVForums Official Review: http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-TX-P46G15-Plasma-HDTV-Review.html

For me the difference where i live in the EU is only £85 or so, and for the sake of an extra HDMI port, extra networking features and a 50% thinner bezel/frame I think it's worth it personally. Seems like it's only coming in 42" and 46" sizes though, no 50" planned.

So what's peoples thoughts on this. Anyone know if the EU version will have the advanced calibration options enabled like the EU G10 models? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if the EU version will have the advanced calibration options enabled like the EU G10 models? :)
No reason to suppse the E versions wont have the white balance/gamma controls. The G10E and V10E do.

[*]Thinner 2" Bezel
... and a 50% thinner bezel/frame ...

Hello,

I have been watching with interest the release of the newest Viera plasmas and am repeatedly stumped by this point. I don't understand where this information comes from. According to the specs the height/width of the 42" G15 is the same as the equivalent G10 so the bezel surely can't be narrower. If we mean thinner, then why do Panasonic indicate that the set has a depth of 97mm? This is a long way off 2". Are they only referring to the bezel (i.e. outer edge of the chassis)?

If it is only the bezel which is 50% thinner then what difference does it make when the deepest point of the chassis is only 9% thinner (i.e. 9mm - half the width of my little finger!)?

Is this just marketing guff?

Sorry if I am being a complete dolt and for all the questions but I am seriously baffled.

Cheers,
Dave

I checked the G15 before buying my 50" G10 as I considered the 46" G15. But then I realised the 50" G10 was actually cheaper so no contest...and there is no 50" G15 anyway.

thinner bezel etc? doesnt bother me. how many times will you go round the side of the tv to check how thin it is? :rolleyes:

Well I suppose a few people might. Me? Ill be watching the screen! ;)

Hello,

I have been watching with interest the release of the newest Viera plasmas and am repeatedly stumped by this point. I don't understand where this information comes from. According to the specs the height/width of the 42" G15 is the same as the equivalent G10 so the bezel surely can't be narrower. If we mean thinner, then why do Panasonic indicate that the set has a depth of 97mm? This is a long way off 2". Are they only referring to the bezel (i.e. outer edge of the chassis)?

If it is only the bezel which is 50% thinner then what difference does it make when the deepest point of the chassis is only 9% thinner (i.e. 9mm - half the width of my little finger!)?

Is this just marketing guff?

Sorry if I am being a complete dolt and for all the questions but I am seriously baffled.

Cheers,
Dave

Ahh, so the depth of the actual TV unist in relaiton to how far it comes out from the wall will be the same?

Ahh, so the depth of the actual TV unist in relaiton to how far it comes out from the wall will be the same?
Yes. the bulk of the TV is 2" thick, but the bit at the back where all the connections are is approx. 4" thick.

thinner bezel etc? doesnt bother me. how many times will you go round the side of the tv to check how thin it is? :rolleyes:

If you wall mount it it does make a difference. My PX600 sticks out far too far from the wall imho. It just doesn't look quite right.

Last edited:
Yes. the bulk of the TV is 2" thick, but the bit at the back where all the connections are is approx. 4" thick.

Cheers. :smashin:

This set is going to look ridiculous when wall mounted. If anything the thinner edge will only serve to make it look like it's standing further off the wall!

I only hope there aren't too many punters who buy the G15 online (i.e. unseen) based on the misleading onfo that is floating around!!

Dave.

Can I just comment on the thread title?:)

When you're scrolling down the various sub fora from the main page, if this one's at the top the title of the thread looks like -

**** The Panasonic G15.. - which looks less than complimentary, to my eyes at least:D

Last edited:
Cheers. :smashin:

This set is going to look ridiculous when wall mounted. If anything the thinner edge will only serve to make it look like it's standing further off the wall!

Good point actually, but i have said for a while that panasonic seem to design TV's for sitting on a stand rather then on a wall.

anyone got any dates for when the g15 is released

TXP-G15 are already in the market - has anybody got any views to enable me to decide to buy G15 or G10 in 46"?

I'm a 42" G15 owner and am very happy with it so far. Only one problem I have found so far is the optical output.

I have tried connecting my Sky HD, Panasonic BD35 and Xbox 360 via HDMI and have the optical out going to my Denon AVR1906 yet this only receives a Stereo signal and not 5.1 as I would expect.

Does anyone know if there's some simple setting I have missed which would cure this or is this a problem others have experienced ?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I'm a 42" G15 owner and am very happy with it so far. Only one problem I have found so far is the optical output.

I have tried connecting my Sky HD, Panasonic BD35 and Xbox 360 via HDMI and have the optical out going to my Denon AVR1906 yet this only receives a Stereo signal and not 5.1 as I would expect.

Does anyone know if there's some simple setting I have missed which would cure this or is this a problem others have experienced ?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I found the same with the G10.
The optical seems only to output 5.1 from its internal tuners, which at this moment is only Freesat BBC HD, ITV HD and LUXE HD.

Hi!

One question.

What about DivX playing. It supports forward and rewind the movies?

It supports Xvid also?

Thx.

Quick Q....can I output a PC at 1900x1080 to this screen or am I limited to a lower res?

Cheers for that response rewerb.

I dug some more and came up with this from the AVForums G10 review:

"Handling of PC content via one of the set HDMI is very good - resolving every single bit in a 1920 x 1080 pixel image without any overscan. Instead, when using the set VGA PC input, PC image resolution is limited to 1366 x 768 pixels - with an image that looks somewhat softer".

Spose the kicker is I'd need a PC with a HDMI output!

Owners of 46G15 using the supplied pedestal stand...

Could someone be kind enough and measure the clearance between the acutal bottonm of the viewable screen and the base of the cabinet it's stitting on.
I need to know how much clearance I have for my centre speaker which sits on the same cabinet in front of my TV.

Thanks

Owners of 46G15 using the supplied pedestal stand...

Could someone be kind enough and measure the clearance between the acutal bottonm of the viewable screen and the base of the cabinet it's stitting on.
I need to know how much clearance I have for my centre speaker which sits on the same cabinet in front of my TV.

Thanks

I can't tell you off hand but I think the dimensions are the same as the G10, and there's only clearance for a very low centre speaker with that, I've had to move mine and balance it on the back of the stand when not in use as it blocks the IR receiver. I'll check the actual when I'm home if noone has got back to you beforehand but it's somewhere around 10cm or below, to give you an idea.

EDIT: It's more than that for the viewable screen but like I say, your IR receiver will be blocked at a lower height.

I can't tell you off hand but I think the dimensions are the same as the G10, and there's only clearance for a very low centre speaker with that, I've had to move mine and balance it on the back of the stand when not in use as it blocks the IR receiver. I'll check the actual when I'm home if noone has got back to you beforehand but it's somewhere around 10cm or below, to give you an idea.

EDIT: It's more than that for the viewable screen but like I say, your IR receiver will be blocked at a lower height.

Thanks

My current Panny plasma is a 42" (PV500) but with a big border round it and gives me ample clearance for my 19cm Wharfdale centre spkr (why did I buy the curved shape one that give it even more height :rolleyes: )

However, the 46G15/G10 is actually physically smaller all round!

12.5cm from base of stand to edge of frame and 13.75m to actual screen Kevo:)

Could I just trouble you once more and ask for the max width and length of the actual pedestal. I've placed an order with Sound & Vision in Bolton and i'm off to B&Q tomorrow to see i f I can something close to the dimensions of the stand and extra height.

Many Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom