Panasonic G10

Tigerman007

Standard Member
Hi

I've had my Panasonic G10 for about 6 months now and am very impressed with it.

Lately I have noticed that the picture isn't as good as it has been.

When there are bright sections of a particular program the shading is very noticeable rather than having it gradual (I hope I've described this in a way that someone knows what I'm on about)

Is this something to worry about or not?

Thanks

Dave

Tigerman007

Standard Member
Thanks Ben but looking at the posts on the thread this relates to black level problems. My black levels appear ok though!

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Do you mean your shades appear to be in bands and not blended in togeather to create a smooth shade?

Tigerman007

Standard Member
Do you mean your shades appear to be in bands and not blended in togeather to create a smooth shade?
That's it exactly. I didn't explain it too well.

My G10 has been fine up until recently so I don't know what has caused it.

Is it something to worry about?

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
I would contact your retailer mate. If it wasnt like that before and its started getting worse then theres maybe a fault. Best just to play it safe mate.
But to be honest I noticed some slight banding on my G10 when I had it, but if yours is getting worse then its best to get it looked at. :smashin:

Tigerman007

Standard Member
I've been onto Panasonic and also Comet where I purchased my G10.

Comet have advised that it will be repaired FOC.

As it is a known problem (inherent fault) with G10's can I demand or request a replacement? I would expect a tv costing almost £1000 to last more than 6 months. I would be happier with a newer model especially with this known fault. BTW my previous tv also a Panasonic lasted 12 years and was still going strong when given away to make room for this one.

Any advice given will be appreciated.

Cheers

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
I've been onto Panasonic and also Comet where I purchased my G10.

Comet have advised that it will be repaired FOC.

As it is a known problem (inherent fault) with G10's can I demand or request a replacement? I would expect a tv costing almost £1000 to last more than 6 months. I would be happier with a newer model especially with this known fault. BTW my previous tv also a Panasonic lasted 12 years and was still going strong when given away to make room for this one.

Any advice given will be appreciated.

Cheers
Try saying to them you have looked online into this fault and it seems its a fault with all G10s. And see what they say. Worth a shot mate. Also try using they SOGA (sales of good act) to your advantage. If your unsure of this feel free to ask us theres a few on us on here now who have used it. :smashin:

Tigerman007

Standard Member
Try saying to them you have looked online into this fault and it seems its a fault with all G10s. And see what they say. Worth a shot mate. Also try using they SOGA (sales of good act) to your advantage. If your unsure of this feel free to ask us theres a few on us on here now who have used it. :smashin:
At the moment Comet won't budge and will only offer a repair!!!

I've emailed Panasonic about the issue etc and said had I known about the banding issue etc I would have never bought this particular model.

I did state the SOGA and asked for a replacement rather than a repair and if necessary will be more than prepared to pay the difference for a newer model.

Supposing Panasonic agree to this what would be a good replacement for the G10? A G20 I assume?

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
G20s are very nice tvs mate. I have one and its great. :smashin:
Keep fighting them or go in on a very busy day with the tv and make a fuss :laugh:;)

Tigerman007

Standard Member
Just had a reply back from Panasonic.

They have said that they are sorry etc, etc but to arrange for a repair with an authorised service agent!!

Panasonic have also said that they are not aware of banding issues on the G10!!

As the tv is barely 6 months old I don't want a repair but a replacement. I appreciate if it was a few years old for example I would get it repaired but as it is so new I don't want to be left with a tv which doesn't last.

Any advice where I go from here?

Thanks

Tigerman007

Standard Member
Hmm. Just contacted Comet following Panasonic's advice. Told Comet that I am not at all happy and that I am rejecting the tv under the SOGA. Comet told me that as it is classed as a "portable" tv I will need to return it to the store! I told them that it is a 42" and not portable but apparently Comet's definition of portable is that it can be easily lifted by 1 person!!!!

I'm not at all happy. Will have to wait until later in the week to return to the store when I'll have more time free.

Del45

Novice Member
Comet told me that as it is classed as a "portable" tv I will need to return it to the store! I told them that it is a 42" and not portable but apparently Comet's definition of portable is that it can be easily lifted by 1 person!!!!
You will find that the box it came in indicates that it should be lifted by 2 people.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
I need to get it back to them though. Comet really seem to be digging their heels in! :mad:
tell them its a 2 man lift as show on the box and your not prepaired to take the risk of doing your back in as THEY want it returned to store. Also ask for there head office phone number and address as they clearly cant understand this issue you have which is quite simple to resolve.

Tigerman007

Standard Member
tell them its a 2 man lift as show on the box and your not prepaired to take the risk of doing your back in as THEY want it returned to store. Also ask for there head office phone number and address as they clearly cant understand this issue you have which is quite simple to resolve.
It seems quite simple to me to resolve too!!!

Fingers crossed it will be sorted.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
I hope so mate. Dont take then nonsence it maybe worth your while to write to there CEO at
Comet Group plc
Comet House
Three Rivers Court
Rickmansworth,
Hertfordshire,
WD3 1FX
Also it would be worth contacting Consumer Direct there advice is spot on if you need it. ;)

Tigerman007

Standard Member
I hope so mate. Dont take then nonsence it maybe worth your while to write to there CEO at Comet Group Plc, Criterion House. George Street Hull. HU1 3AU.
Also it would be worth contacting Consumer Direct there advice is spot on if you need it. ;)
Funnily enough I've just emailed Comet's MD. Lets hope he can get it sorted.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
I posted the wrong address first time round sorry mate but edited my post :blush:

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Funnily enough I've just emailed Comet's MD. Lets hope he can get it sorted.
If you cotact Consumer Direct and get a ref number from them, you can then finish a email with this

I do not find this an acceptable state of affairs and, furthermore, I am of the belief that the Sales of Goods Act, as amended 1994, reinforces my wish to reject the goods and claim a replacement.
Please respond to my complaint within 14 days from the date of this letter or I will be left no alternative but to seek further legal advices. For your information, I have this case open with Consumer Direct/Trading Standards.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Also in your email if you state the model number, time of purchase etc etc then list the issue/s that is wrong with your tv, then end it with that paragraph that shows you know what your talking about. Also if you used a credit card you can use the consumer credit act section 74 (i think thats the right section) that means your card provider is also liable for any faults with the tv. You just send your credit card company letter saying about the issues your having with the tv and that under section 74 of the consumer credit act you are holding them joint responsible for the faulty tv. And include the email to currys.
The card company will also contact comet and tell them to sort this out, as they wont want to return your money. ;)

Tigerman007

Standard Member
Well I've put what you have said into an email to Comet & my credit card company.

Just had a call from Comet Head Office who are going to arrange for an engineer to inspect tv. I made it perfectly clear that I won't accept a repair.

Will keep you updated on progress.

Thanks for your help so far. :)

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Well I've put what you have said into an email to Comet & my credit card company.

Just had a call from Comet Head Office who are going to arrange for an engineer to inspect tv. I made it perfectly clear that I won't accept a repair.

Will keep you updated on progress.

Thanks for your help so far. :)
No problem mate. My Credit card company sent me a letter asking for a copy of email etc I sent to Dixons....only thing was my email to dixons with the above info worked and I got a G20 as a exchange on my G10 at no extra cost. Then I got the credit card company letter lol.

Good luck mate. And dont take no nonsense. :smashin:

Tigerman007

Standard Member
No problem mate. My Credit card company sent me a letter asking for a copy of email etc I sent to Dixons....only thing was my email to dixons with the above info worked and I got a G20 as a exchange on my G10 at no extra cost. Then I got the credit card company letter lol.

Good luck mate. And dont take no nonsense. :smashin:
Just hope there is sufficient banding when the engineer calls!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Fyne Audio adds new standmounts to F1 speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mark Levinson expands 5000 Series with amplifiers and players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton