Panasonic G10 Problems Thread - Part 1

So does your G10 have a problem

• No problems at all

Votes: 112 67.9%
  • Problem

Votes: 38 23.0%
  • Problem AND Replacement (same make / model)

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Problem AND Replacement (different make / model)

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In no way intended as a replacement for the excellent and informative "owners thread" but just designed to get all the lists of problems in one place

Im expecting mine Thursday so will have to wait til then to find if I have a perfect set

If you could give an idea of problem (ideally with photo if it can show problem) along with

size of screen
date purchased
etc

Dunkle - these polls are often useless. People are not looking for faults, only some of us freaks find them, and less report them.

Often in my years on here too many people refuse to admit their set has any issues - rightly so considering they have shelled out over a grand etc.

More often many people find no problems at all. Take a look at the LCD forums and see how many owners of lagging sets refuse to admit any problems.

Go see one - if you like it buy it. If there are problems, return it.

Dunkle - I said it on another thread, youre worrying about a TV that you havent actually got in your house yet! :eek:

Thats rather obsessive to be honest. Seems to me like you will be looking for faults rather than actually (god forbid) watching the TV! ;)

And, like I said on another thread, I bet you will get the TV on Thursday and youll be very happy with it. :)

Ive had my G10 since May 21st and Ive had no problems whatsoever - Ive even looked for problems. Im sitting pretty close so I would have seen these 'problems' if they applied to every G10 that has been made.

Last edited:
Lets make the thread constructive and post your problems with little description:thumbsup:

My problem
model: TX-P42G10E
Purchase date: 14-06-2009 at Foka in Rotterdam, The Netherlands
problem: Jumping/flickering screen when input is 1080p 60/50 hz.
Used source: Xtreamer (mediaplayer)

what i have done so far that does not work:
- Change resolution to 1080p 60hz, 1080p 50hz, - no change.
- Pause movie -no change
- Watch movie from usb - no change.
- Other 1080p movie - no change
- 720p movie played at 1080p- no change
- Change audio source to spdif - no change.
- Change fan speed , middle to high - no changeC
- Run video on background for 30 min, than turn on tv. - immediate flickering
- Tried three different HDMI cables - no change
- Tried all the HDMI ports- no change

What does work:
- I tried the Xtreamer with the same cable on a Philips PF9603D and it worked Like a charm. I hope it is not my tv that is causing the trouble.
- When a change tv to composite, witch is connected at the same time, that channel has no interference. not an acceptable solution
- When i set resolution to 1080i, or 720 p the flickering does not occur. but this is not an acceptable solution.

So what could be the problem?
- TV
- HDMI cable
- Xtreamer
- combination of above

I eliminated the possibility that it might be an heat related problem of the Xtreamer . I took the Xtreamer apart and turned it on while blowing a big fan over it.
Almost Certain it cant be the Cable either, tested three on my tv, with every one giving problems. Then i tested them all on the Philips and they all worked perfect!
I went to the TV-shops and tested some tv's there with my xtreamer, weird thing was that i tested two TX-P42G10E's and they both displayed the same problem. I also tested a bunch of other TV's and they did not display any problem.

maybe the just send a bad batch to The Netherlands:eek:

So almost certain it must be my tv :? or the combining of the three elements.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v86XvAWW-LI[/youtube]

Those of us on these forums, by nature, are the obsessive ones.
I have closely checked my TV, where I could, for the issues reported.
I am relieved to say I haven't seen them.

If all those with no issues report here, and they turn out to be a sizeable majority, it indicates that the basic TV is fine, and that some TVs are not performing correctly.

Well I am sorry that this thread seems unconstructive to some of you but it was my intention to try and get all the faults and niggles into one place, thus allowing the owners thread to focus more on the good things.

Also having them in one place may proove usueful for those who have the problems and thus find a solution

You are correct in saying that I dont have my set yet, but to be honest even if not buying I would at least try and help those people unlucky enough to have problems

If this thread helps one of them then its done its job

Those of us on these forums, by nature, are the obsessive ones.
I have closely checked my TV, where I could, for the issues reported.
I am relieved to say I haven't seen them.

If all those with no issues report here, and they turn out to be a sizeable majority, it indicates that the basic TV is fine, and that some TVs are not performing correctly.

Cheers

What was hoping for is EVERY owner to at very least post in the poll - if 90% or so are good then it is just going to be minor set specific issues

I have an Xtreamer (god knows why) and to help with the above I will try mine when able

Just out of interest the 1080p flickering issue
Is this upscaling to 1080p ?
I see from your clip its Futrurama, dont know the show well enough to know if thats a rip from a 1080p Blu or just an upscaled image

Are you able to get hold of a true 1080p file and play that ?

Not had my 42G10 for long, but I can say that i've not had a single problem with it, picture is beautifull and no problems with my Xbox 360 at 1080p.

Steve

as far as i know it is the 1080p rip of the bluray,:rotfl:
It displays these defects whenever the xtreamer is outputting 1080p, so only when the tv displays in the righthandtopcorner input: 1080p.
so it does not mater if i watch 720p show or scroll the menu, as long as the Xtreamer outputs 1080p and the tv receives that the problems occur.
It does not occur all the time that is the most strange of al, it seems like it is heat related, because it gets worse when the tv is on for a while.

Cheers

What was hoping for is EVERY owner to at very least post in the poll - if 90% or so are good then it is just going to be minor set specific issues

I have an Xtreamer (god knows why) and to help with the above I will try mine when able

Just out of interest the 1080p flickering issue
Is this upscaling to 1080p ?
I see from your clip its Futrurama, dont know the show well enough to know if thats a rip from a 1080p Blu or just an upscaled image

Are you able to get hold of a true 1080p file and play that ?

as far as i know it is the 1080p rip of the bluray,:rotfl:
It displays these defects whenever the xtreamer is outputting 1080p, so only when the tv displays in the righthandtopcorner input: 1080p.
so it does not mater if i watch 720p show or scroll the menu, as long as the Xtreamer outputs 1080p and the tv receives that the problems occur.
It does not occur all the time that is the most strange of al, it seems like it is heat related, because it gets worse when the tv is on for a while.

Ah ok
Just from this and the Xbox problems I did think it may have had something to do with upscaling as from what I have read is that true 1080p material on blu rays is fine

Have you got a dedciated blu ray player ?
Be interesting to see if does that when upscaling DVDs

Ah ok
Just from this and the Xbox problems I did think it may have had something to do with upscaling as from what I have read is that true 1080p material on blu rays is fine

Have you got a dedciated blu ray player ?
Be interesting to see if does that when upscaling DVDs

How does the TV know the picture is being upscaled by the xtreamer?

Im just a little worried that this thread might put people off buying this excellent tv...

All the problems above seem to relate to the G10 being used with the Xtreamer?

Now I have no idea what this Xtreamer is - I freely admit that - but maybe this thread should have been called..

'G10 problems with Xtreamer' :confused:

Hi

I have ordered the 50 inch G10 and it is going to be delivered Thursday along with a Panasonic BD60 Blu Ray player. I will certainly report if I find any problems with it (or not) as I am expecting a great TV after everything I have read about it.

I currently have the Panasonic TH42PE50 which has been flawless for the four years I have had it. In fact even now when certain DVD's etc are on I am sometimes blown away at just how good the picture can be.

I am hoping that the G10 is going to be even better.....if not I will be seriously disappointed.

Debbie

Well as those following the G10 owners thread will know I have experienced problems of faint lines on bright moving pictures and picture jumping on 1080p output from an Xbox 360. Others have reported similar issues, in fact at least two posters have seen the faint lines on several different TVs. So I think the current thread title is about right.

I am unsatisfied with the G10 and so am going to replace it with another TV. I accept though that I am fussy and other may be able to live with these faults or not even notice them.

Im just a little worried that this thread might put people off buying this excellent tv...

Now I have no idea what this Xtreamer is - I freely admit that - but maybe this thread should have been called..

Yes thats right what is Xtreamer :confused:

i got TX-P46G10 from John Lewis, over a month ago i paid £999 & loving it :thumbsup:

No problems :smashin:

I really love my tv!

But only this *** problem messes it up for me. Hope to solve it quickly!

Xtreamer is not the only one causing trouble:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...-onkyo-receiver-hdcp-issues.html#post10066655
http://www.avforums.com/forums/plas...ox-tv-causing-1080p-flicker.html#post10066662

Xtreamer is an very neat media streamer: check xtreamer.net

Havent noticed this 1080p flicker with the xbox 360 at all.

Has anyone (with the problem) tried putting it into 720p for xbox 360 instead? After all - hardly any games actually use 1080p on the xbox 360.

To the earlier poster who is having the G10 and BD60 delivered Thursday....dont worry, you are going to be very pleased when you watch some blu-rays and dvds on that set-up! :thumbsup: I thought my old PX60 looked great with blu-rays and dvds (and it still does) but the G10 looks even better...

No 1080p flickering for me (SO FAR!! :rolleyes:)

Are the Euro versions the only ones affected? or are there reports of British B series G10s having the issue?

Are the Euro versions the only ones affected? or are there reports of British B series G10s having the issue?

Think (although not sure) there was at least one report of a UK set but not sure, hence trying to get all reports here - that info may result in a solution for the sufferers and the thread would be well worth it

I plan, on thursday, to set up, quick initial calibration with dve then play some 360, PS3 and watch first episode of BoB on Blu Ray - if time allows may also try watch a film recorded off Sky HD

I've got the Euro version and can confirm the problem. (PS3 1080p/60hz)
The reason Blu-Ray is not affected might be because it's not the same mode, it's 24hz.
1080p/24hz and 1080i are both not affected.

I'll try testing blu-ray with 24hz output disabled (forcing 1080p/60hz).

yes please try!:)

The reason Blu-Ray is not affected might be because it's not the same mode, it's 24hz.

Hi Guys!

So I've had my TV for about two weeks loving the blu ray on it, but then i was watching so SD freeview on it and was getting some jumping every now and then, but as its probably my aerial I didn't think mush of it! got sky 4days ago and it was a rubbish contrast Amstrad box! sky are coming to replace that in bout 10 days! but i noticed the flicker on that too! nothing on bluray and not be able to check my HDMI xbox yet but my component Xbox 1080i seemed fine on it???

anyone else getting jumping on it

Plus to make matters worse i bought a Onkyo AV amp DOH!!!

any advice would be helpful! That way I can ask the sky engineer for a good box?

I can confirm this on a European version too. P42G10E.
I get it from two different sources. One is an upscaling avr (denon avr-1910) and the other is a dvd-player (philips something).
It is only present when feeding the TV with 1080p/50. 720p and 1080i is ok.
I've tried two different cables and with one of them it got better, but not OK. The reason that 720p, 1080i and 1080p/24 is ok is probably that those resolutions need lower bandwidth.
If I connect the DVD player directly to the TV it is actually worse than if I connect it through the avr. :confused:

What was your result when forcing the blu-ray to output 1080p/60 ?

I get some very strange effects on the screen of my 42" G10 under the following circumstances:-

If I drink a few cans of Special Brew and lie flat on my back looking up towards the screen it's all rather blurred and appears to be spinning round.

:D Seriously though, I've not noticed anything wrong on this screen, but have deliberately not been looking too hard for problems. For the price I paid I think this is one hell of a lot of television and well worth it :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom