Panasonic G10 Owners Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D Tele - weve had this discussion in the blu-ray movies thread...basically there are those who buy blu-rays that look amazing (but theyre not too worried about the film ;)) and then there are those who are more interested in the quality of the film with excellent PQ/AQ being of secondary importance.

Im with the latter! ;) I might rent Baraka but I never blind-buy blu-rays (or dvds) without knowing I really like them already.
I quite agree ,this is something to show off Blu-Ray at it's best.
Buy the way 2001,I Robot look superb.:)

Everyone (almost anyway) will see it in the video on youtube since the problem was captured by a camera!
That is not the same as saying that everyone will see it on a TV that has that problem. All eyes don't work the same way and they definitely doesn't work like a camera does.

I can pretty much guarantee that your eyeballs work the same as mine do unless you're a Cyborg :D. It must've been pretty bad to his eye for him to bother filming it and uploading it to youtube. Plus, It also looks exactly like my TV does to the naked eye.

Ps, if you are a Cyborg, please don't kill me for doubting your theory :rolleyes:

If the only noticeable difference in having IFC switched on is a positive one, why is it so often recommended that IFC should be switched off? :confused:

I've never seen any difference, positive or negative between on and off but if you're saying it was slightly better with it on, it may as well just be left on then!?

What are the 'problems' caused by having it switched on?

Well some people reported that (during Wimbledon I think) with IFC on, the balls were moving strangely across the screen - or it might have been a football match I cant remember!

I need to do some more real testing with this - especially seeing as my set has had a good two months plus of use now.

Id be interested to read other peoples testing with this...preferably people whove had the set a good while...tele/hodg100/rewerb for instance.

I can pretty much guarantee that your eyeballs work the same as mine do unless you're a Cyborg :D. It must've been pretty bad to his eye for him to bother filming it and uploading it to youtube. Plus, It also looks exactly like my TV does to the naked eye.

Ps, if you are a Cyborg, please don't kill me for doubting your theory :rolleyes:

People's eyes do see things differently. Some people see certain affect and others don't. Some people see a CRT TV screen flickering at 50Hz and others don't. We have all have different brains that process things slightly differently as well.

When you say Cyborg all I can thing of is that Van Damme film! :rotfl:

Boris - have you considered the fact that we might all be replicants and thats why we cant see this green phosphor stuff and you can? ;)

But that also means we only have about four years to live...damn I knew there was a downside...:)

It's more likely to be certain G10s. I've shown mine to a few people and they can all see it. You'd have to be blind not to see it on my set when COD4 is playing because it's really bad. I've just tried COD4 on it and it's exactly the same as it was when it was new. There's no point in filming it because it looks identical to that youtube clip that was posted a couple of pages ago.

Presumably, the people that say they can't see phosphur lag on their G10s can see it on that youtube clip?! Surely?

it is apparent on ALL plasmas - you either see it or you do not.

GOW and COD are quite bad for it due to the types of contrast.

Play Street Fighter 4 though with fast moving characters and nothing is discernable.

I would say my latest G10 has slightly worse phospohor trails than the last - BUT i also think its not as bright so its more likely to be paranoia!

Id be interested to read other peoples testing with this...preferably people whove had the set a good while...tele/hodg100/rewerb for instance.

I'll have a tinker with the IFC myself then, I've had my set a while now too.

Use 1080i John, Whilst perhaps the upscaler in Sky is not the best it is IMO better than the built in Panasonic one, certainly my V10 looks better being fed with 1080i as did my previous set.
You certainly want to feed HD programs at 1080i. HDTVtest commented that the V10 SD interlaced upscaling was very good and the progressive signal upscaling was even better.
SKY "Auto" mode will pass 576p to the TV for SD programs and 1080i for HD programs.

Try both and go with what your eyes tell you.

You certainly want to feed HD programs at 1080i. HDTVtest commented that the V10 SD interlaced upscaling was very good and the progressive signal upscaling was even better.
SKY "Auto" mode will pass 576p to the TV for SD programs and 1080i for HD programs.

Try both and go with what your eyes tell you.

I have & when it sends 576P it looks awful, hence 1080i :)

:hiya:
New AVForum member. Have been lurking and turning to the forum on many occasions for info/reviews etc.

At present I'm waiting for a TX42G10 to arrive, bought from Dixons for £789 incl delivery. Had I known that delivery was going to take five days and up to 21.45 this evening I would have bought elsewhere! Cant see it happening now, most delivery bods are not interested in working this late on poets day, we'll see.

Well, my first Plasma/big telly having de-comissioned my Sony CRT KV28LS, a good TV but got fed up with coming back from friends/rellys houses and sat looking at what seems like a portable TV screen. No other fancy kit, just SD $ky, Wii console and a Phillips DVP5960 up scaling DVD player, so I'm looking forward to seeing if this upscaling thing works.

Quess I'll probably just unpack it and go for the quick set up option but ought to perhaps take heed of warnings regarding running these things in on cinema/warm settings first.

Anyway, I'm rambling/killing time till it arrives.

Cheers
:smoke:

Home from work - no playing for me today :(

Mind set the Harmony up and seems to be working fine

Still happy with the picture - not eye blinding bright but thats due to low contrast at moment

Will probably look at increasing settings somewhat towards my second of my 4 rest days next week - should have 80 or so hours on it by then

Think IR is not a huge issue with the G10 anyway

Slow and steady will win the race

5 year warranty sent off today as well

Yip, as I thought... "Sorry sir, the van broke down, is Sunday OK?"
Good grief, beer time...

Off to pick mine up from RS tomorrow, SHMBO has finallly seen the light :clap:

Anybody care to share the box dimensions?

Don't think my Freelander could take it but have access to a campervan if needed.

Tony

:D Tele - weve had this discussion in the blu-ray movies thread...basically there are those who buy blu-rays that look amazing (but theyre not too worried about the film ;)) and then there are those who are more interested in the quality of the film with excellent PQ/AQ being of secondary importance.

Im with the latter! ;) I might rent Baraka but I never blind-buy blu-rays (or dvds) without knowing I really like them already.
Baraka is a superb film/documentry that has a hypnotic sort of feel to it,it's worth a rental.:thumbsup:

My G10 arrived yesterday :thumbsup:

First thing I tried was hooking my standard sky box cable to the freesat connection on TV and let the panny do all its tuning in. At first I was not impressed with the picture on these channels but was not expecting to be really. Need to get the dish and cable upgraded to use hd freesat.

Then I hooked the cable back to my sky box and some channels were pretty good. But nothing stunning at first.

Later when my daughters were home we tried some DVD's including Matrix & Xmen 3 using the BD60

The TV really came into its own here, we put one of our favourite Matrix scenes on and it was truly jaw dropping. For the first time I thought "I love this TV"
At times it was almost 3D, as if there were layers if that makes sense.

Sadly I have no Blu Ray content to throw at it yet. Can anyone recommend a Movie to buy that will show it to its best?? Please.

The funny thing is after a few hours of viewing (now I am back on my SD sky box) the picture has just got better and better.

Hubby was watching one of his boring Documentaries last night and the water in one scene was so sharp and clear it was as if you could just put your hand into the TV and get wet. He is pretty impressed.

So far no regrets at all. Might get one of the kids to bring their PS3 down sometime to try that out of curiosity.

When you say at times it was almost 3D, which picture setting were you using when watching?

:hiya:
New AVForum member. Have been lurking and turning to the forum on many occasions for info/reviews etc.

At present I'm waiting for a TX42G10 to arrive, bought from Dixons for £789 incl delivery. Had I known that delivery was going to take five days and up to 21.45 this evening I would have bought elsewhere! Cant see it happening now, most delivery bods are not interested in working this late on poets day, we'll see.

Well, my first Plasma/big telly having de-comissioned my Sony CRT KV28LS, a good TV but got fed up with coming back from friends/rellys houses and sat looking at what seems like a portable TV screen. No other fancy kit, just SD $ky, Wii console and a Phillips DVP5960 up scaling DVD player, so I'm looking forward to seeing if this upscaling thing works.

Quess I'll probably just unpack it and go for the quick set up option but ought to perhaps take heed of warnings regarding running these things in on cinema/warm settings first.

Anyway, I'm rambling/killing time till it arrives.

Cheers
:smoke:

Welcome to the forums :hiya: Hope you like your new telly, I find it more than acceptable - just give it time for you to get used to it :)

My G10 arrived yesterday :thumbsup:

Gratz :)

The most impressive title I've watched so far has been Van Helsing; not to everyones tastes of course but it has been the first piece of 1080p content to blow me away.

Truth here? I actually thought I had made a mistake with my G10 for the first couple of weeks. Flicker, heavy dither...and my eyes were actually hurting after watching for a few hours :eek:

A month in the flicker is only barely perceptible on near full-screen patches of white, the dither is much reduced and my eyes have grown accustomed to the screen. It really does improve over time.

I've "borrowed" my sons 360 and played through a few games I havnt played in years - quite incredible stuff.

How bad was the flicker when you first got the TV and how long did it take until it was nearly gone?

I have a G10E and I keep IFC ON always as it improves the image clarity i.e. motion handling in any other case except with 1080p24 input signals when it has no effect even if the setting is on. Overscanning degrades the PQ so I keep that OFF.

It is easy to see the effects using test signals but much more difficult with live signal if one does not have two identical tv sets that can be compared side by side.

It could be that some previous models suffered from artifacts caused by IFC and that is why reviewers recommended to set it off.

I found a test that supports these findings: TELEVISIONS COM: Panasonic TX-P 42 GW 10 TV Review | Plasma TV | Flat-panel | Introduction

Hi everybody,

I got my 46" G10E yesterday and my initial review is...

1. Very very good SD image , my digital box scales the SD signal to 720p and feeds to the G10 producing DVD like quality of the SD programmes. I have also tried playing back some poor quality AVI's and to my surprise they look alot better on the G10 ( alot less visible mpeg blocks ) than they did on my LCD screen.

2. HD is very good, deep blacks and crisp image, simply stunning.

3. I was also impressed with the box it came in! :) pretty clever system used there to allow installation and avoid having to lay the tv flat when unboxing, but perhaps all plasma's come in such boxes? (this is my first plasma..)

Negatives so far,

1. Quality of the sound was not so great.
2. The remote feels cheap and the engineer that decided to put the "N" button next to the Menu button should be taken out back and ...be yelled at I recommend getting the Harmony One very nice remote.
3. I sometimes notice a slight flickering when the screen is mostly white , it does seem like im getting used to it though as it seems to be decreasing.

All in all Im very happy with my G10 and the upgrade from an older LCD screen seems massive to me. The PQ of my SD is far better on the 46" G10 than on my older 40" LCD.

I now realise I should have gone for the 50" :smashin:

/Markus

For people interested these are my settings I came up after hours of amateur calibration. Also still adjusted color a bit, because of the settings Tele1962 came up with after his pro calibration. I have to say I am very happy with these and will probably stop tweakin now and just start enjoying my telly.

Not that in the first column is the value in the menu I have (I have the P42G10 E(U)-model, therefore most of the time a scale of 60 or -30 to +30). To make it understandable for you guys I put the percentages behind it. Hope it helps someone, if not: I tried...

[Normal] PVR-SD [Cinema] PS3-HD [Game] PS3-HD
Kontrast 39 65% 38 63% 34 57%
Brightness 1 52% -2 47% 1 52%
Colour 28 47% 32 53% 30 50%
Sharpness 4 40% 2 20% 2 20%
Temperature Warm Warm Normal
Gamma 2.2 2.2 N/A
IFC On On N/A
Other Enhancements Off Off Off

These [Game] settings are superb on my Xbox 360, only thing i've changed is Colour Balance to Warm.

Steve

These [Game] settings are superb on my Xbox 360, only thing i've changed is Colour Balance to Warm.

Steve

Happy it was useful for someone...
I keep changing from normal to warm in game mode.. Don't know which is better..

Furthermore decided to leave IFC on for the other modes, I think it has some small benefits without sacrifices. Don't have any problem with sports. IFC is automatically switched off for 24P sources. 24P overrules the IFC.

Finally I found at that the EU model probably saves the settings per input, So now I am on Cinema on both my SD-PVR and HD-PS3... Only difference I have is the sharpness...

Last edited:
Happy it was useful for someone...
I keep changing from normal to warm in game mode.. Don't know which is better..

Furthermore decided to leave IFC on for the other modes, I think it has some small benefits without sacrifices. Don't have any problem with sports. IFC is automatically switched off for 24P sources. 24P overrules the IFC.

Finally I found at that the EU model probably saves the settings per input, So now I am on Cinema on both my SD-PVR and HD-PS3... Only difference I have is the sharpness...

Which setting do you use for playing games? I was using your [Game] mode settings, but have been trying it with the [Cinema] settings and it seems great on my 360 also?

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom