Panasonic G10 Owners Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Julie, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PuntNL

PuntNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    http://vimeo.com/4913119

And this is the test done with the earlier posted calibrated settings (see my earlier post) and not using the dedicated game mode and the intelligent frame creation is turned on...

2. Fozzyhair

Fozzyhair
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Woah:eek: wait a minute, so what happens when you turn on game mode then?

I thought I read a review posted somewhere in part 1 that said the set was good for gaming? or is that only with the game mode on?does game mode make a difference?

3. Boris360

Boris360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    I'll be well cheesed off if it doesn't. I've ordered a G10 for gaming.

This is what does my head in! I've read something that says that the G10 is 21ms quicker than the Samsung LED (not much use as they don't tell you the figure for the Samsung) and now I've seen that the G10 has 40ms of input lag with IFC switched on and game mode off. If someone is going to bother measuring input lag then why don't they do it in game mode where it is most relevant:confused:

4. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    IFC will add a big amount of lag, so turning this off and using game mode should reduce the lag massively.

5. PuntNL

PuntNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Hold on guys... a couple of things on the input lag:

1) Input lag on calibrated settings with IFC on is 40ms (http://vimeo.com/4913119), which is very good for a lcd/plasma television, New tv's with this kind of lag are still pretty rare. Yesterday I tested this with Singstar and it was very very playable.

2) When choosing the game mode, choosing the IFC on or off is not possible anymore, it is automatically removed from the menus and therefore turned off.

3) HDTVtest compared the tv in game mode to their 'home' tv of Samsung the F96. This Samsung is tested as a great gaming LCD with input lag of somewhere around 30-40ms, something the G10 also provided in normal settings.

4) In the comparison of HDTVtest they measured a difference of 22ms, which the G10 was faster in the game mode than the Samsung.

Conclusion: Normal settings of choice will have an input lag of around 40ms --> very playable.
    Game mode will have an input lag of <20ms --> perfectly playable, better said, this kind of responsiveness will even give you an advantage to most console gamers online, because it is one of the fastest telly's on the market when it comes to input lag.

Enjoy!

6. Boris360

Boris360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    Thanks for the info PuntNL:smashin:

This is exactly why the G10 was selected as my gaming TV.

The doubt has arisen from so many conflicting stories on game mode and input lag on the G10. It doesn't help that some of these people on the net don't even know what input lag is! I'd read that game mode was more of a picture mode and not there to reduce input lag on this particular model because it was already so low. I was always suspicious of this because I know that game mode normally reduces processing time. There are loads of people saying it's "virtually non existent" or "1ms" (confusing it with pixel response time I think).

Your figure of "below 20 ms" seems more plausible and yeah, will give some online advantage!

The Input lag test you referred to sounds like the same one I read about. It's just bizarre that the test was done against another flat panel TV (the Samsung). CRT should always be the reference when measuring input lag.:rolleyes:

7. tele1962

tele1962
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    i feel these settings are way to dark for the uk model with just everyday calibration but maybe with pro.calibration the story might be slightly different:clap:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +977
    That's seriously disappointing, the Vieras always looked completely washed out to me. Not being about to quickly adjust the gamma is fine, if it is right out the box!! :rolleyes:

Does anyone know any UK suppliers selling the Euro version??

9. rewerb

rewerb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Buy the V10. Gamma is great. Out of the box. G10 is next.

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +977
    I would rather spend the extra and get the PF11 if going to that price.

Plus the V10 sonds like a mare adjusting in the service menu, the old PX60 screens used to have a different setting in the service menu, so you had to adjust by guessing and then come out to take readings, it was a right pain.
    I'm not into it all enough anymore to be bothered with it all to be honest, things that I don't like though is soft image, noise, and too low a gamma.

I have a 500M and it is riddled with noise and very soft, and the G10s I have seen seem to have the gamma around 2.0 or even lower.

11. PuntNL

PuntNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    But you had almost all your settings < 50%? Or am I wrong? Note that in the EU model Brightness is set between -30 and +30 so 0 is 50%..

12. tele1962

tele1962
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    :oops: sorry about that you are right:D

13. PuntNL

PuntNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Probably those settings which I use are brighter than yours :)?

Still feel that the picture is a little to soft and dark on cinema/warm, but you guys tell that it brings more depth to the picture? Of course its a matter of taste..

14. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,556
    I dont suppose you would like to give us a nice easy step by step guide to doing this on our menus-crippled UK G10's ?? ;)

I thought Id be cheeky and ask anyway! :D :lease:

15. typhon

typhon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone. I desperately need help! While I was configuring my panasonic g10e(european model) I thought I should check out the Service menu. Well I entered the SM and navigated using only buttons 1 and 2 on the remote(so as not to change anything). However, weird menus kept popping up(including one with a picture of some sort), that didn't look like the main menus(service, adjust, wb adj etc) I got too scared and turned it off from the power button. Is it possible that I messed a contrast or black level setting accidentally? Because the darkest black I have ever been able to achieve, in completely dark environment, was so bright that you could see the difference from a mile away. It is not at all similar to the pictures I see posted here where the bars blend with the surrounding. Also, I can't see anything in dark scenes. The movies that I have tested were displayed from a laptop. Is there a way to fix this myself? Is there some menu responsible for contrast? Did I make a mistake with 1 and 2 (I thought they were for navigating the main menus). Any help would be greatly appreciated!!:lease:

16. PuntNL

PuntNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    After 3 days of playing around with all the settings, I came up with the following. I found the calibrated settings just a little to dim and not sparkling enough. For gaming I just use the default gaming mode, for all other things I currently use the settings below

[NORMAL] MODE
    Contrast 42 (out of 60)
    Brightness 0 (on a scale of -30 to 30+)
    Colour 30 (out of 60)
    Sharpness 5 / HD:6 (out of 10)
    Temp Normal
    Color Mng Off
    Eco-Mode Off
    x.v. colour Off
    P-NR Off

High End Blue -4
    High End Red 0
    Low End Blue -6
    Low End Red 0
    Gamma 2.2

Intelligent Frame Creation On

Some other people who are already getting satisfied with their settings and can post them?

17. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +977
    What was it like before??

You sure you're not just sending the screen a PC level when it expects a video level??
    This would caused a very raised black level.

18. typhon

typhon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well this was one of the first things I did so I can't tell if there was a difference. What do you mean by video level? I have connected the pc's dvi-out connector to the hdmi 3 connector on the side of the tv, with a dvi-to-hdmi converter and an hdmi cable. The refresh rate of the laptop is 50hz(there is also a 60hz selection) because the TV is in pal mode. The graphics card is an intel embedded (945 i think) and doesn't offer many options. There is a huge tearing issue, only when ffdshow is used(powerdvd displays just fine) so I think that's a codec issue. Then again maybe my black level standards are too high. I expected the bars in 16:9 to blend with the frame but they stand out clearly. I even tried setting brightness to -30 but there was no difference. Is it supposed to be like that? Do the photos differ from reality? Because black is obviously illuminated. By the way, the service menu contrast in my tv is 206. Is that correct?

19. rewerb

rewerb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    The black bars will not blend in with the black frame. (a £2K Pioneer might in the dark..)

20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +977
    Put a film up using the sat or aerial signal.

You are inputting a PC signal into a video port, your brightness will be far too high.

Is there not a setting in the menu to tell the screen you are inputting a full range signal??

I have found that on my Pioneer if I output from a PC or mac I have to manually change the setting to get correct black levels, if I send it a full range signal from a PS3 or Blu Ray player however it changes automatically.

Pioneers are not much darker and you would only tell in a completely black room anyway.

21. Sonic-dk

Sonic-dk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had my 42G10E for some weeks now, and have some questions about different things.

1) In normal mode I seem to get the colors I like best. However, in that mode, there seems to be slight posterazation here and there. Is there any way to make that go away, since it's annoying to look at.

2) Does 24p work in game mode? I am running my PS3 in game mode, and am watching blurays in that mode also. So, does 24p work in that mode, or do I have to use some other mode to make advantage of 24p? I can't seem to find any menu option for this, so I guess the TV displayes in 24p automatically when the source puts out 24p?

Cheers.

22. cwog

cwog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am getting very close to getting TX-p42 family Plasma set - most likely a V10 model.

I have downloaded the user manual but so far have not seen if it is possible to disable the builtin speakers but still have audio out via the phono sockets so that I can feed it into my audio system.

or will I have to try and cut the wire to the speakers

Thanks for any knowledge.

23. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +977
    Ummm?? turn the volume down?? ;)

24. cwog

cwog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks
    Turning down the built in speaker volume is OK if it does not alter the volume out thru the phono connection.

I expect that one would be able to store zero volume as a default setting so that the set would never make any sound through the speakers.

Detachable speakers would be even better, then one could remove them from the room to avoid them flapping in time to the main audio system.

25. gary965

gary965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    On my G10 the TV's speakers automatically turn off when the surround sound system is turned on. The sound comes direct from my Sky HD box via optical into the amp. If I then turn the surround sound off the TV starts again.

26. rewerb

rewerb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    It doesnt, neither does it affect the volume through the headphone connection, which has a seperate volume control.

27. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +977
    It is a line level out, it will be fixed.

Maybe consider the PF11 instead, just a panel, no speakers, no tuner and a much sharper image.

28. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I was 99% certain i was going for the 50X10 set when we have the cash, but im selling my 1080p PJ so thinking of getting the G10 50".

Watch loads of SD DVD(and freview) stuff includng old BBC classics and wondered what the performance would be like with the G10 over the X10?
    Using a Oppo DVD scaling to 1080p for dvds so maybe this would match the X10 in this respect?

Any opinions welcomed.

29. Fattage

Fattage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Unless you have funding issues I would opt for the G10... the X10 is only HD ready and although the pic quality is still very good and has recevied some great reviews i went for the G10 for the full HD. I am in a similar situation to you, Sky+ (not HD), a raft of standard DVDs and only a few Blu Ray at the moment. the upscalling is very good on my Pany HDD DVD player and the quality of image is clearly better than on a standard DVD player (I'm sad enough to have tried it back to back... )

Te G10 also has more gradiation scale so you are less likely to see "sunburst" effect.

IMO the G10 is fairly future proof where as with the X10 I probably would have been kicking myself at some point for not going Full HD.. but then as my wife points out, I'm a bit of a saddo like that!!! :rolleyes:

30. PuntNL

PuntNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Too bad nobody is posting their favourite setting on the G10.. I just keep posting my updates, in the hope for feedback and other settings..

I contacted the guys of HDTelevizija and asked them about the calibrated settings in normal. They told me for the normal settings I should not use their white balance corrections because of the fact that those are based on Cinema mode with Warm temperature. Gamma 2.2 should always be set they told me..

So small update of my settings.. Still going with contrast from 39 to 42 and back..

[NORMAL] MODE
    Contrast 42 (out of 60)
    Brightness 0 (on a scale of -30 to 30+)
    Colour 30 (out of 60)
    Sharpness 5 / HD:6 (out of 10)
    Temp Normal
    Color Mng Off
    Eco-Mode Off
    x.v. colour Off
    P-NR Off

High End Blue 0
    High End Red 0