Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie

Part 1 ended here

Welcome to part 2.

Last edited:

pwood

To DACOLE and any other PV500 owners

Freeview is just as good noise wise considering the increase in screen size. With the black level giving the picture more depth. This stands for SKY HD as well with the picture appearing more 3D with little or no noise in dark areas of the screen.

1080p blue ray is a vast improvement regards screen judder. I used the first scene in the Dark Knight as my PV500 struggled with that. Noise levels were also noticeably reduced watching the same movie and the detail in the dark areas a vast improvement. I was always aware of noise in black areas before unless the brightness was reduced so much that any detail was crushed...not anymore:smashin:

I have posted one issue regards locking onto an upscaled 1080p picture via my Onkyo 875 amp which i am looking into. I was hoping to upscale the 1080i to 1080p. It always comes up eventually but I need to mess about with settings a bit to work out exactly whats the cause. I think it will be the amp as another 876 owner seems to be having issue of a similar nature.

So to sum up the upgrade is worthwhile especially via Blueray. I have not tried freesat yet. One last thing to note and its a big one the G10 despite the size does not buzz as loudly as my PV500. The fans can be heard but only a dull whir which is not distracting and nowhere near as loud as SKY HD box or indeed a PS3.

gbjbaanb

And now the G15 is coming out for about £100 extra. The difference seems to be Deep Colour, an extra HDMI port, and LAN/DNLA/DivX/VieraCast.

Worth waiting to see if the G10 drops in price?

PuntNL

All setting posted in part 1 of this thread.. Are those on a scale of 100 or on 60..? My Panasonic had contrast, brightness etc at 60 as maximum...

PuntNL

Ok thanks mate!.. I notice that I am coming of an LCD.. Finding most settings to dark.. Another point is that I am on light room now..

Have to say that I am liking the Normal tint over the Warm tint.. And turning all enhancement including Eco-mode off, except the intelligent frame creation..

I have put Gamma on 2.2..

Still tweaking the other things..

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Ok thanks mate!.. I notice that I am coming of an LCD.. Finding most settings to dark.. Another point is that I am on light room now..

Have to say that I am liking the Normal tint over the Warm tint.. And turning all enhancement including Eco-mode off, except the intelligent frame creation..

I have put Gamma on 2.2..

Still tweaking the other things..
i came off lcd to, it does seem a bit darker but its probobly best for the first 200 hours:thumbsup:

Last edited:

PuntNL

Okay, so this are the so called break in settings you guys are using? Will you bump things up in a couple of weeks or so?

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Okay, so this are the so called break in settings you guys are using? Will you bump things up in a couple of weeks or so?
i like these settings so i have left mine .remember that the run in is just a guide line and not set in stone go with what you are happy with.:):D

DaCole

Standard Member
To DACOLE and any other PV500 owners

Freeview is just as good noise wise considering the increase in screen size. With the black level giving the picture more depth. This stands for SKY HD as well with the picture appearing more 3D with little or no noise in dark areas of the screen.

1080p blue ray is a vast improvement regards screen judder. I used the first scene in the Dark Knight as my PV500 struggled with that. Noise levels were also noticeably reduced watching the same movie and the detail in the dark areas a vast improvement. I was always aware of noise in black areas before unless the brightness was reduced so much that any detail was crushed...not anymore:smashin:

I have posted one issue regards locking onto an upscaled 1080p picture via my Onkyo 875 amp which i am looking into. I was hoping to upscale the 1080i to 1080p. It always comes up eventually but I need to mess about with settings a bit to work out exactly whats the cause. I think it will be the amp as another 876 owner seems to be having issue of a similar nature.

So to sum up the upgrade is worthwhile especially via Blueray. I have not tried freesat yet. One last thing to note and its a big one the G10 despite the size does not buzz as loudly as my PV500. The fans can be heard but only a dull whir which is not distracting and nowhere near as loud as SKY HD box or indeed a PS3.

I Really appreciate you posting your thoughts....helps a great deal as i've arranged a demo at my local dealer for next week to look at the G10 and V10 side by side so I can make my final decision. Now I know its worth the time and effort to look at them.

I will post what I think and which one i've purchased.

I hope you get your issue with your Onkyo sorted , i don't have one myself so not much use to you there i'm afraid.

Thanks again for the feedback. Very useful!

PuntNL

Thanks for the help!

First impressions: Digital SD (Humax PVR) is pretty good, better than expected. If i had to rate it probably an 8/10. HD is absolutely stunning, Blu-ray is spot on and responsiveness in gaming is ridiculously good. Still have to test some more now, but will not use it for gaming to much in its first hours, but I don't take the break in period to serious. I really think its something from the past. Technology improved over the years, but that is my opinion.

I am currently on the following settings (still tweaking):

Contrast 45 (out of 60)
Brightness 0
Colour 32 (out of 60)
Sharpness 5 (out of 10)
Temp Normal
Color Mng Off
Eco-Mode Off
x.v. colour Off
P-NR Minimum (PS3: Off)
Gamma 2.2
Intelligent Frame Creation On

Are you guys using [Game] for gaming or just using your preset of choice?

EDIT AT THE END OF MY EVENING:

[NORMAL] AND [GAME] MODE
Contrast 39 (out of 60)
Brightness 0
Colour 32 (out of 60)
Sharpness 5 (out of 10)
Temp Normal
Color Mng Off
Eco-Mode Off
x.v. colour Off
Gamma 2.2

[CINEMA] MODE
Contrast 39 (out of 60)
Brightness 0
Colour 30 (out of 60)
Sharpness 4 (out of 10)
Temp Warm
Color Mng Off
Eco-Mode Off
x.v. colour Off
Gamma 2.2

I'll probably be using the normal and game modes, but have the cinema set-up just to keep comparing to what is stated on some sites as calibrated values..

Last edited:

Oggie

Distinguished Member
Whats internal freeview like, heard its not too great. I'm looking at this or Samsung LED 7000 or 8000

pwood

Whats internal freeview like, heard its not too great. I'm looking at this or Samsung LED 7000 or 8000

Freeview in my opinion is very good. poor stuff like Eastenders is handled well. The Samy you mention handles noise very well but has an odd colour balance and costs more for a smaller screen.

Woolybully

Mods,We seem to have a problem getting to Part one of this thread,it goes to Big Brother for some reason.Could you check it out please.

PuntNL

How do you access the gamma controls on this set? I can't find it :confused:

The British models have to go through the service menu I suppose.. The European models just have it in the advanced picture settings..

Woolybully

Thanks guys,sorted now...shame about the Gamma control, however it still gives a great picture.I got my 50G10B up and running yesterday and after the usual fiddling with the settings settled down to watch a couple of Blurays,Wall-E and Australia......WOW and WOW the PQ blew me away,Rich life-like colour's amazing contrast and deep blacks. The whole experience was much more "Cinematic" than I ever had with my old 42" plasma,and that was no sloutch in the picture department so thus far I'm very pleased with it. One question,I've been reading a few Freesat forums and from what I can gather we should be able to receive Luxe TV in HD.I didn't notice this after my initial tuning so can it be added some how and if so how do I go about it?

Last edited:

PuntNL

a very extensive review with professional calibration by a croation site can be found here (translated by google).. I found it very useful..

Google Vertaling

maxipax

can anyone please advise on "running in a new G10 tv" I recall reading that it advisable to run it in for a few hours first! If so can anybody advise on how and what I need to do? I am taking deliver this week, and cant wait!!
many thanks

PuntNL

from the translation.. the professional calibrated setting:

RECOMMENDED PREFERENCES by HD Television (SD, HD, PS3 and PC)
Calibrated settings for the picture are:

Mode: Cinema
Contrast: 36
Brightness: 0
Color: 30
Sharpness: 7
Color Temperature: Warm
Color Management: off
xvColour: off
Eco mode: off
Picture Noise: off
Inteligent Frame Creation: On

Under Advanced Settings, Image, Picture-Advanced to set the following:

High End Blue: 4 click to the left
High End Red: Leave at 0
Low End Blue: 6 clicks left
Low End Red: Leave at 0
Gamma: 2.2

These settings are applicable for each entry and will give the best picture regardless of the type of content with the HD signal (Blu-ray, mkv, PS3, PC). When SD signals to reduce the sharpness 5th

Last edited:

rewerb

One question,I've been reading a few Freesat forums and from what I can gather we should be able to receive Luxe TV in HD.I didn't notice this after my initial tuning so can it be added some how and if so how do I go about it?
It's an extra option in the tuning menu (Other sat. services). It wont be tuned in if you just did a Freesat tune.

Autotec

Standard Member
I have the Panasonic 42G10L Irish model which has the grey scale controls and Mpeg 4 Digital Terrestial Tuner.

Has anyone noticed any difference in picture colour turning this on and off, it made a difference on the 37LZD80, and 42PV80EY I had. Mostly viewing SKY SC via RGB at the moment, and DVD via RGB. Is there something wrong with the set I used to notice it on green grass before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution