Panasonic G10 or S10

Bigadz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi :hiya:

I have been researching the new 42" Panasonic range and was comparing the G10 against the S10 and wondered how much better the G10 was over the S10.

Comparing specs I can see that the S10 doesnt have the full Neo panel technology and is 400Hz (G10-600hz). Also I can see it doesnt have the Freesat, the graduation is less detailed and the contrast is lower. Moving res is 900 (G10- 1080). I think the G10 also has a swivel base (15deg)

Overall though is the G10 worth the extra £125ish??

I have also read of slight SD viewing issues with the G10, I have a Sky+ box at the moment and I am planning on getting the DB35 Bluray player to compliment the tv, will this setup work alright?

Many thanks :thumbsup:

No SD viewing issues on freeview with me - but i have got a maximum full strength freeview signal. Im watching a 50" G10 at 6-7 ft so I would notice if there were trust me! TV is 2 weeks old and the picture is improving day by day - i couldnt believe how good BBC1 and even ITV looked earlier today. :D Even my brother who doesnt notice things like this commented that the TV was looking better and better by the day.

I dont know where these stupid "dodgy SD" stories come from but as far as I can see - its nonsense.

Get the G10 or youll constantly be thinking you should have paid a bit more. And get the 50" or youll constantly be thinking "should have got the bigger one". LOTS of people think this after buying a set trust me!

Also....I know youre after 42" not 50" but Digital Direct (where I got my 50" from) are actually selling the 50" G10 a good £100 cheaper than the 50" S10 right now!!! Go and check....3 year warranty too.... (I dont work for them in case youre wondering! but they did have the best price when I bought mine. If I had held on until now I could have got it for £80 cheaper too!)

Get the biggest TV you can afford and worry about it dominating the room later (you will at first, for a day - and then you wont! :D)

Oh yeah - TV does swivel on the pedestal, enough for me to get behind the TV now and then when I need to!

Last edited:
Thanks for that Jim, I did notice that Digital Direct were one of the cheapest, you was happy with the service and the 3 year warranty then I take it?

Overall though is the G10 worth the extra £125ish??
Definitely. Irrespective of the better blacks/contrast/colours/motion etc, it willl save you money on electricity:thumbsup:

I have to say I have just been to have a look at both of these sets and I am still unsure on this.

from digital direct:

G10 £919
S10 £769

In store the G10 seemed to have stronger colors, I am not sure what setting it was on (comparing spider man). The tones on the S10 appeared less vivid is this in keeping with other peoples opinions?

Secondly how much power difference is there between the two exactly, would it really add up to a massive difference over the year?

I have to say I have just been to have a look at both of these sets and I am still unsure on this.

from digital direct:

G10 £919
S10 £769

In store the G10 seemed to have stronger colors, I am not sure what setting it was on (comparing spider man). The tones on the S10 appeared less vivid is this in keeping with other peoples opinions?

Secondly how much power difference is there between the two exactly, would it really add up to a massive difference over the year?
G10 is £869 at Dixons (code 5TV at checkout). It really is the better set. Reviews of the S10 have been OK-ish. The G10 is excellent.

Over three years you could save the £100 difference in lower electric bills, no brainer.

G10 is £869 at Dixons (code 5TV at checkout). It really is the better set. Reviews of the S10 have been OK-ish. The G10 is excellent.

Over three years you could save the £100 difference in lower electric bills, no brainer.

The 42 inch S10 has lower power consumption, no fans and no freesat Tuner. Assumed power consumption is 175w(rated 295w) v G10's 200w(rated 350w). I don't like fans and don't have a satellite dish so the S10 is a no brainer for me.:hiya:

Last edited:
The 42 inch S10 has lower power consumption, no fans and no freesat Tuner. Assumed power consumption is 175w(rated 295w) v G10's 200w(rated 350w). I don't like fans and don't have a satellite dish so the S10 is a no brainer for me.:hiya:

When calibrated to the same picture brightness/contrast, the G10 with its Neo-PDP panel uses less power than the S10. The reason the S10 appears to use less power is the very dark picture settings out of the box, whereas the G10 has very bright settings out of the box. The SD picture is not as sharp on the S10 and the black levels not quite as good as the G10.

Actually the G10 with the same brightness as the S10 uses less electricity. The S10 panel is similar to last years PZ80. The reason panasonic quote such a low rated usuage for the S10 is that the default contrast is set low. In reality the neo-PDP panel will save around 40% electricity for the same brightness.

Edit: Oops, Alsina beat me to it.

Interesting, so effectively when setup the same (or as similar image as possible) the G10 will use around 40% less power. This seems quite a lot and would lead me to thinking that this coupled to the better contrasts the G10 is indeed worth the extra pennies.

I am going to another Currys later where they have them side by side and I can compare.

The S10 uses v real 3 pro while the G10 uses a new V real 4 Pro. That's just a different chip so PQ may be better on the G10, have a look side by side:)
There will be a cheaper version of the S10- the U10 which is a bit like the C10 but 1080p. This will only be available at some parts of the year though.

The fans are only noticeable from either 50cm away in a normal room or more far away in a really quiet room:eek:( i have sensitive ears:rolleyes:)
The G10 also has an Ethernet port, because of the freesat tuner.

Thanks for that Jim, I did notice that Digital Direct were one of the cheapest, you was happy with the service and the 3 year warranty then I take it?

Well they did take a while to deliver it but I suspect that might be because I live in the West of Wales and they use their own couriers - and obviously they probably wouldnt come my way too often compared to cities etc!

Delivery guys knew exactly what they were doing which was a relief (knew about not laying plasmas flat, knew about getting the box off with the plastic handles fast - they'd obviously done this a million times by the seem of it!)

Customer service were very quick to answer the phone and answered all my questions fast enough - they also gave me two days warning about delivery. I took the day off work but as it turned out there was no need as they turned up when they said they would - 7.45 in the morning! :thumbsup:

I think they are doing the 50" G10 for about £1140 now which is a fair bit less than I paid (£1230) just three weeks ago - I should have waited!

Oh and for those considering the S10? Like I said before - Digital Direct are selling the 50" S10 for MORE than the G10.....god knows why but its a no-brainer really! :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom