Question Panasonic FZ802 inbuilt Netflix app superior picture quality in contrast to Xbox One 4K disc or app

Scoutfinch

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a fix I require for my Xbox source material in comparison to the the superior picture quality on content I am seeing when using the Panasonic FZ802 inbuilt Netflix app.

To explain the problem/issue I am trying to resolve: I understand playing a 4K blu-ray disc is always going to be superior in picture quality compared to viewing through a streaming service like Netflix due to the lower bitrate, hence why I thought I would compare. However, I am perplexed because in a side by side comparison of the BladeRunner 2049 4K Blu-ray [reference disc] compared to the Netflix release this week of the same 4K film, the Panasonic's inbuilt app picture quality is far superior. In spite of toggling through different picture modes and copying the same picture settings to the HDMI 1 port I am using for my Xbox One, I can evidently a difference when switching between the TV app and the Xbox source.

Both the Xbox One Netflix inbuilt app and 4K Blu-Ray version I own (played through the Xbox) has the same lower level of brightness and clarity but is of a much lower standard when compared to the inbuilt Panasonic Netflix app. For example, a scene with an explosive background fire is far brighter and impactful when viewing it using the the Panasonic Netflix app. This is all the more surprising given the HDR logo doesn't appear on the Netflix 2049 4K version (even thought it appears to be and Netflix are very good at labelling correctly).

I am therefore led to believe this is an issue with the connection or set-up functions on either the Panasonic FZ TV or Xbox i.e. I am aware the Xbox reviews for picture quality were largely positive and all of my firmware and updates are current on both the TV and Xbox.

For your background, my Xbox connection is simple as follows:
I am connecting my Xbox using a current HDMI cable to HMDI port 1 of my Panasonic TV. I have checked all the 4K settings, including HDR options which are ticked, but I cannot seem to get a comparable or better picture, as most of us would expect when playing a disc.

I have also followed HDTV's advice video here (), but I can see no obvious gaps. Please note. I am receiving the Dolby Atmos option through certain Netflix content on my Xbox which indicates the set-up option selections I have saved are correct.

Grateful for advice you can offer to rectify this discrepancy given the marked lower picture quality when using the Xbox source (4K disc or Netflix App) against the in-built Panasonic app.

Finally, please note, no doubt this issue is not exclusive to Netflix content, but I am unable to make similar 4K quality content comparisons due to the discs I own and what is being streamed currently.

Many thanks in advance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom