1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic FZ5 initial observations + a quick question

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by kbfern, Sep 5, 2005.

1. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,148
    Hi Guys

Bought a Z5 from Jessop's today for £295,couldn't play with it till 9pm tonight as I needed to charge the battery first.Ran off a quick 30/40 shots mainly inside, in low light with and without flash in zoom and macro mode, picture quality looks pretty good.

Jessops did me a good deal and came within £13 of the best internet price I could find (£274 + £8 shipping)and was able to pick it up today.If I'm not happy with the camera within 30 days they will refund purchase price so that seems a pretty good deal to me.

I still have a lot to find out about the camera (haven't looked at the manual yet) but after I have taken some more pics tommorow in daylight I will know whether it's a keeper or not.

Only reservations so far are size,it feels a bit dinky and my 20 yearold daughter thought it was a toy camera!!!!!!!!!

The other thing is when you rock the camera back and forth you can hear something sliding/moving inside (I am assuming this is the lens)can anyone with a Z5 confirm if you hear this noise aswell and is it normal?.

2. alastair

alastair
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont rock mine back and forth myself and dont plan on it! Haven't heard anything from normal use.

3. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,148
    Alistair

When I say rock back and forth I am not being rough with the camera. nothing more than you would normally get from handling the camera while moving around.It sounds like the lens is moving a small distance back and forth inside the camera.

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,884
    I wouldn't worry about this as the DMC-FZ20 (which I have) does it as well and it is normal.
    If you look under the "Troubleshooting" bit at the back of the user manual there is a remark about it and it is due to the lens movement.

For the record I try not to shake mine (just in case :smashin: )

5. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its the OIS. Normal operation. RTFM

6. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,148
    Thanks for the reply guys,just wanted to make sure that it was normal,as I said havn't had time to read the manual yet only had the camera a couple of hours when I noticed the noise.

Also please note I am not shaking the camera just rocking it I am not being rough with the camera.You should not have to treat a camera with kid gloves as it is an item you carry around with you.Up mountains on a beach at the zoo and adventure park etc.The way some of you are talking sounds like you have yours wrapped in cotton wool :)

I treat all my gear with respect,most of it has cost a lot of money but it has to be fit for the purpose it has been bought for.

7. sorbiegunner

sorbiegunner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My c770 does the same and I found it a bit disconcerting as well, til I found out it was normal. Must be a thing with ultra zooms.