Panasonic FZ series (802 & 952) OLED Owners Thread

Have you retuned? Lots of HD channels moved to different frequencies last week.

Yea I know it's not that. It's been doing that this for about 6 weeks now. A factory reset cured it for all of about 30 minutes. I'm pretty sure the in built tuner is being over sensitive about the "lower end HD channels"

I've raised a ticket with support. Let's see what they say.

Just had my Panasonic FX802b screen replaced after this appeared last week, horizonal line about 5" from the top going across but fading just past the middle with a discoloured band on the left all the way down. Its from John Lewis and well done the the repairer WD Panasonic Sheffield who inspected it last week ordered the screen collected Saturday PM and returned it Monday afternoon.

Also lots of Panasonic TVs getting a recent firmware update Inc this one, output to Bluetooth headphones and speakers now works, could never get it working before.

Si
IMG_20200617_224438.jpg
IMG_20200619_213134.jpg

I know this has been asked a million times, but I can’t find the info when I’ve googled and searched this thread, but which of the statuses reflect how many full compensation cycles have been started and completed properly?

My set has just clocked up 2000 hours and I’ve magically just noticed a band appear on the left of the screen. Don’t remember being told about the compensation cycle last time I turned it off though, so want to check.

Last edited:
I want to remove tv from my network is there an easy on off toggle somewhere or how do I stop it updating the firmware
I have it set to show message when software is available
Weirdest thing is that now apps are not accessible due to firmware needing to be updated my picture quality is so much better blacks are back, I know it's not a placebo effect.

So I want to make sure it doesn't auto update in the future or one of the family presses yes or something

I know this has been asked a million times, but I can’t find the info when I’ve googled and searched this thread, but which of the statuses reflect how many full compensation cycles have been started and completed properly?

My set has just clocked up 2000 hours and I’ve magically just noticed a band appear on the left of the screen. Don’t remember being told about the compensation cycle last time I turned it off though, so want to check.
Do you use the Panny remote or are you a Harmony user?

I clocked 3000 hours last week and I didn't see the big cycle notification until about the 3015hr mark. I also switched from the Harmony to the Panny remote after the 3K'hr mark, as I believe powering off with the Harmony remote doesn't present the big cycle pop-up when due.

Edit: Regarding cycles it's Status 8. I took a photo before and after a big cycle and the very last digit of Status 8 went from 2 to 3 after my recent big cycle. (After 3000+ hours).

Last edited:
I want to remove tv from my network is there an easy on off toggle somewhere or how do I stop it updating the firmware
I have it set to show message when software is available
Weirdest thing is that now apps are not accessible due to firmware needing to be updated my picture quality is so much better blacks are back, I know it's not a placebo effect

So I want to make sure it doesn't auto update in the future or one of the family presses yes or something
If connected by Ethernet, unplug the Ethernet cable. If you are connected wirelessly, go to network settings and select a wired connection and as long as you don’t have an Ethernet cable connected, the set can’t connect to the internet.

If connected by Ethernet, unplug the Ethernet cable. If you are connected wirelessly, go to network settings and select a wired connection and as long as you don’t have an Ethernet cable connected, the set can’t connect to the internet.
Brilliant thank you

Do you use the Panny remote or are you a Harmony user?

I clocked 3000 hours last week and I didn't see the big cycle notification until about the 3015hr mark. I also switched from the Harmony to the Panny remote after the 3K'hr mark, as I believe powering off with the Harmony remote doesn't present the big cycle pop-up when due.

Edit: Regarding cycles it's Status 8. I took a photo before and after a big cycle and the very last digit of Status 8 went from 2 to 3 after my recent big cycle. (After 3000+ hours).
Thanks, will check it later. I use the Panasonic remote.

What I’m concerned about is that if it did run, I didn’t know andI’m likely to have turned the TV back on in the middle. Anyone know the implications of that?

Thanks, will check it later. I use the Panasonic remote.

What I’m concerned about is that if it did run, I didn’t know andI’m likely to have turned the TV back on in the middle. Anyone know the implications of that?
I can't advise regarding any implications for interrupting a big cycle, someone else might be able to answer that.

However, I am confident the big cycle does not run at all without you first being made aware of it. What I mean is, if the big cycle is due and you go to power down then you get the notification telling you it will take 80 mins or so. So with that said, I've always just left it. You can decline it too, and it will ask again later.

I would normally just keep declining it throughout the day until it finally goes off for the evening and then let it do its thing overnight.

I can't advise regarding any implications for interrupting a big cycle, someone else might be able to answer that.

However, I am confident the big cycle does not run at all without you first being made aware of it. What I mean is, if the big cycle is due and you go to power down then you get the notification telling you it will take 80 mins or so. So with that said, I've always just left it. You can decline it too, and it will ask again later.

I would normally just keep declining it throughout the day until it finally goes off for the evening and then let it do its thing overnight.
Well, how odd, I've just checked and it hasn't run yet, I'm still on only 1. Hopefully when it does it may reduce the band in question......... or make it worse. I'll report back.

Well, how odd, I've just checked and it hasn't run yet, I'm still on only 1. Hopefully when it does it may reduce the band in question......... or make it worse. I'll report back.
Your big cycle number sounds fine, as you said previously you only just recently hit 2000 hours, so a big cycle is due.

My 3rd one didn't throw up the notification until after 3015 hours. Not sure why it doesn't just trigger bang on the thousand mark though.

If you go to Picture, Screen Settings you can double check that Panel Maintenance Message is set to On. It should be on by default anyway. You can also run a manual panel maintenance from here too, although I've never personally used this.

Thanks for that. I’m slightly dubious about panel maintenance. On my E6 I ran the 1 hour cycle, and it brought out a band. My FZ was bandless (viewing a 5% grey slide to check) until the first maintenance cycle, and then it had a very feint one. I’m just hoping the fact that it has got worse in the last day or so isn’t worsened by the next main one, which will obviously happen imminently. 🤔

I am still losing all the HD channels after 105. No sooner does the TV pick them up again they are gone. I'm pretty sure it's not a local or recepetion related issue. Going to have to get onto support.
It almost certainly is a problem with your aerial, the channels in question are on one of the higher frequency multiplexes. If you're still using an aerial that was designed for narrow-band reception of your local transmitter band in the analogue days, it's likely that the multiplex in question is outside of the passband of the aerial. For example, I'm looking at Crystal Palace, which used to transmit analogue TV in the channel 30 - 39 block, so that's what my old aerial was tuned to receive. However, the multiplex in question is up around 55 / 57, so it's outside the aerial's passband. You really need a modern wideband aerial. Mine reception on these channels is often a bit iffy with the weather and the birds bouncing on the aerial. :) I need to get mine changed for a wideband one at some point...

For anyone that cares. Tonight I had the chance to do a quick comparison between my new GZ and the FZ. Both are 65”.
I played the lion king(2019) which to me is reference material. It was running via the Apple TV 4K simultaneously on both (I have 2 Apple TV 4K) The GZ was playing it in native Dolby vision(Dolby vision dark picture mode) and the FZ was playing the converted HDR10 version(prof2)
I simply pressed play at the same time as they are in adjoining rooms so I can watch them at the same time from an equal distance(albeit at an angle to both)

I can honestly say that the picture quality is excellent on both and the differences are negligible. I would give the edge to the GZ at a push. it just looked a Little bit more natural in the brightest highlights but honestly I’m splitting hairs.
considering the FZ was displaying an on the fly conversion by the Apple TV I was impressed how close it came.
ive attached a photo of my view but obviously any difference in picture quality isn’t the same as I would see it.
FZ left GZ right.

brand-dark.svg
About our ads
You may also like

Attachments

• FF176F48-F691-4B86-9F61-D34FAF259BDD.jpeg
    FF176F48-F691-4B86-9F61-D34FAF259BDD.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 104
For anyone that cares. Tonight I had the chance to do a quick comparison between my new GZ and the FZ. Both are 65”.
I played the lion king(2019) which to me is reference material. It was running via the Apple TV 4K simultaneously on both (I have 2 Apple TV 4K) The GZ was playing it in native Dolby vision(Dolby vision dark picture mode) and the FZ was playing the converted HDR10 version(prof2)
I simply pressed play at the same time as they are in adjoining rooms so I can watch them at the same time from an equal distance(albeit at an angle to both)

I can honestly say that the picture quality is excellent on both and the differences are negligible. I would give the edge to the GZ at a push. it just looked a Little bit more natural in the brightest highlights but honestly I’m splitting hairs.
considering the FZ was displaying an on the fly conversion by the Apple TV I was impressed how close it came.
ive attached a photo of my view but obviously any difference in picture quality isn’t the same as I would see it.
FZ left GZ right.

brand-dark.svg
About our ads
You may also like
We have a similar setup as well. My room is to the left with the 65FZ802, primarily used for movies and gaming. I don't have an aerial hooked up in this room - viewing consists primarily of Apple TV 4K's apps, UHD Blu-ray and games. And we have a somewhat aging but otherwise good performing Panasonic 58DX750 4K 3D LCD TV in the main living room.

Like yourself we have recently been eyeing up the 55GZ950 for this room. John Lewis have it for £1099, and previously my concern as the living room TV, is that it would be used much more. This does include viewing riskier news channels frequently, in addition to Freeview TV and the abundance of TV apps like Netflix and Prime too. The recent interest here is that John Lewis' extra optional cover states to include screen burn, so that risk factor has gone completely out the window.

We've still not taken the plunge just yet, as my plan was to keep the current setup and move the FZ802 into the other room and upgrade to a TV with full HDMI 2.1 support.

From an eventual Panasonic upgrade I basically want the features of the LG C9/CX with the option of upto 4K@120hz for games, with further reduced input lag. So I want the C9/CX features on a Panasonic basically.

I'm not willing to compromise and go for an LG again, as I experienced that flashing overshoot crap on the LG C8 and it drove me up the wall. I have seen from Vincent's comparisons of 2020 models among Panasonic, LG and Sony, that Panasonic still seems to have that issue far more locked down than the other two big players..

We have a similar setup as well. My room is to the left with the 65FZ802, primarily used for movies and gaming. I don't have an aerial hooked up in this room - viewing consists primarily of Apple TV 4K's apps, UHD Blu-ray and games. And we have a somewhat aging but otherwise good performing Panasonic 58DX750 4K 3D LCD TV in the main living room.

Like yourself we have recently been eyeing up the 55GZ950 for this room. John Lewis have it for £1099, and previously my concern as the living room TV, is that it would be used much more. This does include viewing riskier news channels frequently, in addition to Freeview TV and the abundance of TV apps like Netflix and Prime too. The recent interest here is that John Lewis' extra optional cover states to include screen burn, so that risk factor has gone completely out the window.

We've still not taken the plunge just yet, as my plan was to keep the current setup and move the FZ802 into the other room and upgrade to a TV with full HDMI 2.1 support.

From an eventual Panasonic upgrade I basically want the features of the LG C9/CX with the option of upto 4K@120hz for games, with further reduced input lag. So I want the C9/CX features on a Panasonic basically.

I'm not willing to compromise and go for an LG again, as I experienced that flashing overshoot crap on the LG C8 and it drove me up the wall. I have seen from Vincent's comparisons of 2020 models among Panasonic, LG and Sony, that Panasonic still seems to have that issue far more locked down than the other two big players..
I ended up with the GZ as a warrant replacement for a nearly 5 year old panny LCD. But if I was buying now I personally wouldn’t be worried about
120hz gaming . I will be getting next Gen consoles and whilst they are both capable of 120hz gaming, their sweet spot will be 60HZ at 4K/ 1440p. The recent PS5 conference has their first party games running at 30fps 4K. Obviously in an ideal world I would take the 120hz HDMI 2.1 features in a panny but realistically they aren’t needed for many years yet IMO of course.

I ended up with the GZ as a warrant replacement for a nearly 5 year old panny LCD. But if I was buying now I personally wouldn’t be worried about
120hz gaming . I will be getting next Gen consoles and whilst they are both capable of 120hz gaming, their sweet spot will be 60HZ at 4K/ 1440p. The recent PS5 conference has their first party games running at 30fps 4K. Obviously in an ideal world I would take the 120hz HDMI 2.1 features in a panny but realistically they aren’t needed for many years yet IMO of course.
Yeah, I agree with you here. It's just as we have two living rooms I figure I may as well hang tight until a more fully-featured Panasonic releases before shifting my FZ into the next room. The main benefit the GZ/HZ seems to have over the FZ series is the box ticking of Dolby Vision. And tbh, I'm in no rush to upgrade either as very happy with the PQ on my FZ802.

I'm not expecting much in the way of 120fps on consoles tbh. I think we'll see a push early-on during the cross-gen period with the likes of DiRT and Gears 5 slated to have 120fps patches on Xbox Series X, presumably at 1080-1440p or so. Possibly Halo Infinite too given that the previous Halo 5 (and MCC) is already native 4K 60fps on Xbox One X.

As for PS5 I'd imagine the likes of Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us Part II to get a bump from 1440p30 upto 60fps, with at least dynamic/checkerboard scaling targetting 4K.

I have the fz802 and I am looking at the 820 4k player and a dolby atmos soundbar. I noticed @stevebk has a similar setup with the 820 going into hdmi1 on the tv and hdmi2 (arc) connecting to the arc on the soundbar. Am I right in thinking that this should be set up with the 4k player going into the soundbar to be able to use atmos as the tv will not pass through atmos?

Hi Everyone.
I’ve noticed recently when watching sky premier league on uhd that the pitch seems greener to the left of the screen, turning more yellowy to the right. Is this a sort of optical illusion, or is my screen faulty? This is on the 55” fz802.

Hi Everyone.
I’ve noticed recently when watching sky premier league on uhd that the pitch seems greener to the left of the screen, turning more yellowy to the right. Is this a sort of optical illusion, or is my screen faulty? This is on the 55” fz802.
It's commonly reported. If you move position with respect to the screen, the hue will probably change with your angle to the screen. Some people claim not to see it, others that it does it on one panel but not another. It may depend on the particular anti-reflection filters on the screen in question.

OLED is actually quite poor at maintaining the same hue with viewing angle. A 3% change in hue is visible with only about a 30 degree change in viewing angle. However, unlike LCD, the saturation and brightness of the image do not change with viewing angle, so generally they appear more angle-tolerant than LCD screens.

Many thanks for your reply Steve. You’ve set my mind at rest!

I have the fz802 and I am looking at the 820 4k player and a dolby atmos soundbar. I noticed @stevebk has a similar setup with the 820 going into hdmi1 on the tv and hdmi2 (arc) connecting to the arc on the soundbar. Am I right in thinking that this should be set up with the 4k player going into the soundbar to be able to use atmos as the tv will not pass through atmos?
Yes, that was my set up and correct with connection of HDMI.
My set up is now different as I have the new Sky Q HDR box

I have put Sky Q to HDMI 1 as that gives 10bit for HDR, as HDMI 3 & 4 are only 8bit. My 4K player is now HDMI 3 or 4 as I don't use it. If I do use it then I will swap HDMI Cables around just for the 4K player to play that film.

I have put Sky Q to HDMI 1 as that gives 10bit for HDR, as HDMI 3 & 4 are only 8bit. My 4K player is now HDMI 3 or 4 as I don't use it. If I do use it then I will swap HDMI Cables around just for the 4K player to play that film.

Well, now you've got me concerned that I may be missing out.​

I have my 4K UHD Player on HDMI3. I thought the only downside to this was missing out on the handful of 60fps discs. After switching to HDMI1 for Gemini Man in HDR 60p, I thought it was awful.and expect that trend to quickly die.

But now you've mentioned it's 8-bit only for HDMI 3 and 4, and so now I am paranoid I am missing out on something else. Am I not getting the full benefit from 24p 4K HDR10 discs then on HDMI 3?

Last edited:
Yes, that was my set up and correct with connection of HDMI.
My set up is now different as I have the new Sky Q HDR box

Thanks for that.
Something I read somewhere was related to this. My take on this TV was that it didn't pass through atmos at all. Then I read somewhere that if you connected a 4k player to say hdmi1 and connected the hdmi2 (arc) to a soundbar that you would get atmos from the soundbar but it would be lossy atmos. The only way to get lossless atmos with this tv is to connect the 4k player direct to the soundbar. Not sure if that's right or if it is due to an update?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom