Panasonic FZ series (802 & 952) OLED Owners Thread

Wow I only have the ub420 and sky Ive never touched the controls or output on the player since I brought it except turning on the optimizer option . Sounds a good piece of kit the remote . I'm the only one in the family who uses the amp the rest are happy with the TV speakers . It's hard enough explaining to watch in HD

For gaming I'd actually avoid the Game, Normal and Dynamic picture modes. They are all far too bright.

As you say THX is accurate. I just use Professional 1 with Luminance adjusted to my room (or obviously defaulted to max at HDR). Just have Game mode enabled in picture options for low input lag. I'd also recommend turning on the Game mode reminder too, if you happen to get carried away with longer sessions. Just an added precaution but not needed for most modern games where HUD element fade or can be turned off entirely.
do you use Prof1 by default, or set calibrated only?
I use THX Cinema basically for.everything (general, sport, gaming) currently.
what about sharpness/max detailed picture?

This is how my TV looks like now. It is most noticeable with grays (1-2 feet away) while with other colors such as the green on My Home Screen one has to get real close and one might still miss it. Should i be returning this? Dont think its related to typical vertical banding

Attachments

• IMG-20191103-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20191103-WA0018.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    803.9 KB · Views: 91
This is how my TV looks like now. It is most noticeable with grays (1-2 feet away) while with other colors such as the green on My Home Screen one has to get real close and one might still miss it. Should i be returning this? Dont think its related to typical vertical banding
Ah, mate😟 It doesn’t look like any vertical banding I’ve seen. It’s usually in ‘columns’ as opposed to a thin line, if you get my drift. I don’t know what it is, but either way it’s not right. Return ASAP.

@Johnny23 In terms of settings, these are the high level ones:
1. Pro1 (top quality content. You use advance options for color gamut and gamma)
2. Thx cinema (most of the viewing)
3. Natural: best for hdr
Warm 2
IFC on Min
Gamma 2.2 in general
Sound: music option and surround pro
For games, you can use same settings as above but have to tick the game option.

Last edited:
Ah, mate😟 It doesn’t look like any vertical banding I’ve seen. It’s usually in ‘columns’ as opposed to a thin line, if you get my drift. I don’t know what it is, but either way it’s not right. Return ASAP.
No.. dread going through the hassles of getting another set. :(. With no 2019 Pannys released here and with barely any batch of 2018s remaining, think i'll end up with an LG C9(the dealer already hinted that). Mate, I really loved the FZ

do you use Prof1 by default, or set calibrated only?
I use THX Cinema basically for.everything (general, sport, gaming) currently.
what about sharpness/max detailed picture?
I have not had a professional calibration. From reading the TV review here and elsewhere, a calibration only really achieves perfect graphs and reportedly has no impact on real content. With that in mind, I've not bothered. It was also a factor in choosing this Panasonic.

I just leave the accurate modes to their default settings for the most part. I ensure IFC is off, I recently lowered Sharpness from 30 to 0 as I just want whatever the neutral value is. I also use 2.4 gamma for SDR as per the avforums review.

From recent viewings you can't go wrong with THX Cinema or either of the Professional modes.

I mostly use Professional 1 and 2. I have luminace a little lower on Pro2 for when I am watching in a pitch black room.

I find in some streaming content that the blacks in dark or night scenes can appear raised - in those cases I find THX Cinema the best option as it appears to crush the blacks, which in some cases really helps the washed out look in some content.

Any night time scene in Netflix's In The Tall Grass (HDR) film should prove a good example. Just have THX Cinema and Professional modes under your Picture mode toggle button to quickly flip between those picture modes.

Anyone find the football on sky q very annoying when the pitch changes different shades of green dependant on viewing angle? I'm sure someone mentioned it was a broadcast issue but why does it not do it on my other none oled tvs in the house?.It's really annoying me. I can't stand it. Can any settings on on sky q box or 802 eliminate the problem?
I never watch football but the rugby from Japan was almost perfect even on the quick movements.

I believe so, but I'm sure others on here are more tech minded and explain it better than I

This is such a shame. It's really obvious to see on my set. Every time I watch football I can't stand it. I take it there is no fix for it either?

This is such a shame. It's really obvious to see on my set. Every time I watch football I can't stand it. I take it there is no fix for it either?
As others said rugby World Cup has been perfect
might also be due to stadium lighting or skys broadcast that makes it more visible to you

As others said rugby World Cup has been perfect
might also be due to stadium lighting or skys broadcast that makes it more visible to you
I also had no issues with the itv Rugby World Cup footage. I've not watched any Football, but the Tennis in HDR/HLG on BBC iPlayer a few months back had some strange pink flashing on the green court. It was so brief if you blinked you could miss it, but it was really quite distracting. I am guessing this is probably the same complaint?

I also had no issues with the itv Rugby World Cup footage. I've not watched any Football, but the Tennis in HDR/HLG on BBC iPlayer a few months back had some strange pink flashing on the green court. It was so brief if you blinked you could miss it, but it was really quite distracting. I am guessing this is probably the same complaint?
Do you mean the iPlayer Wimbledon 4K feed?

If so I didn’t notice any issues with that (other then one day when they had network issues causing drop outs), it looked fantastic. I watched on Pro 1.

Do you mean the iPlayer Wimbledon 4K feed?

If so I didn’t notice any issues with that (other then one day when they had network issues causing drop outs), it looked fantastic. I watched on Pro 1.
Yeah, it was Wimbledon. I only watched one or two big matches and it was quite rare to spot, could have just been a one off I guess. As I say the Rugby has been fine.

Be interested if the person who spotted an issue with the football could maybe find a problematic moment on Match of the Day on iPlayer or something. At least a few of us could double check that then to rule out if it's just the content or not.

Yeah, it was Wimbledon. I only watched one or two big matches and it was quite rare to spot, could have just been a one off I guess. As I say the Rugby has been fine.

Be interested if the person who spotted an issue with the football could maybe find a problematic moment on Match of the Day on iPlayer or something. At least a few of us could double check that then to rule out if it's just the content or not.
I watched a lot of the 4K Wimbledon and was very impressed with it. Didn't see any of the pink flashing issues you mentioned. F1 is pretty good although I only watch on Ch4. Only problems I've had with the FZ has been Sky based. Flashing issues on Das Boot 4K and a few on City on a Hill 4K. I've put all these down to either broadcast or download issues even though my speed is 40kbps plus.

I watched a lot of the 4K Wimbledon and was very impressed with it. Didn't see any of the pink flashing issues you mentioned. F1 is pretty good although I only watch on Ch4. Only problems I've had with the FZ has been Sky based. Flashing issues on Das Boot 4K and a few on City on a Hill 4K. I've put all these down to either broadcast or download issues even though my speed is 40kbps plus.
Flashing pink is probably a poor statement by me, what I mean is, as the camera angles changed occassionally when it went to a full-shot of the court you could see the playing field colour shift from green to a shade of pink, then back to green. The players and everything looked fine, just the playing ground would briefly and randomly have that strange effect.

I've not seen it since, but then again I don't watch much live TV. I only really watched the Rugby as I hit over 1300hrs used at the time, and figured it'd be a good test to check on vertical banding and motion again. I literally recorded it on a Youview box in a different room and then hooked that up to my aerial-less OLED afterwards just to watch it off the HDD Library. A bit of a pain, but worth it for a one off.

I see some people rate if you don't see any bands on football and the like then you're probably OK in that regard.

Flashing pink is probably a poor statement by me, what I mean is, as the camera angles changed occassionally when it went to a full-shot of the court you could see the playing field colour shift from green to a shade of pink, then back to green. The players and everything looked fine, just the playing ground would briefly and randomly have that strange effect.

I've not seen it since, but then again I don't watch much live TV. I only really watched the Rugby as I hit over 1300hrs used at the time, and figured it'd be a good test to check on vertical banding and motion again. I literally recorded it on a Youview box in a different room and then hooked that up to my aerial-less OLED afterwards just to watch it off the HDD Library. A bit of a pain, but worth it for a one off.

I see some people rate if you don't see any bands on football and the like then you're probably OK in that regard.

My fz is pretty much free from banding but I get the colour shift on every football game I watch on sky sports. Don't watch other sports so I can't comment on them but for sky q football this tv is dam awful :(

My fz is pretty much free from banding but I get the colour shift on every football game I watch on sky sports. Don't watch other sports so I can't comment on them but for sky q football this tv is dam awful :(
The colour shift you mention, does my description sound similar? Just curious if it's the same thing.

I don't have Sky but if you spot the issue on football on the TV's BBC iPlayer app, say for Match of the Day for example, I'd be intrigued to try the same time stamp that you see issues with.

I watch loads of sport, football, cricket, motor racing etc. I haven’t noticed any colour gradient shifts on any Sky Sports, BT Sports, or on BBC broadcasts (iPlayer or standard channel) live or otherwise.

Note:
I have Virgin Media V6 & not Sky Q

Could be the box as well. I’ve noticed Netflix looks better on the TV app then it does on the Sky Q app.

My wife has a habit of using Sky Q Netflix and I’ve noticed without knowing which she has used. So pretty sure it’s not just in my mind.

Could be the box as well. I’ve noticed Netflix looks better on the TV app then it does on the Sky Q app.

My wife has a habit of using Sky Q Netflix and I’ve noticed without knowing which she has used. So pretty sure it’s not just in my mind.
The difference between SkyQ and the Panny's app is bit rate. Sky usually outputs 4K Netflix at 11.75mbps whereas the app does so at 15.25mbps, plus the app does have HDR when available. HDR is supposed to be coming to the Sky platform but I'm not holding my breath.

Are you sure its not the mow stripes, LOL.

The difference between SkyQ and the Panny's app is bit rate. Sky usually outputs 4K Netflix at 11.75mbps whereas the app does so at 15.25mbps, plus the app does have HDR when available. HDR is supposed to be coming to the Sky platform but I'm not holding my breath.

Should have mentioned I’m talking about 2k Netflix. I’m aware of the compromises with 4K via Sky Q, but I don’t think there should be any with 2k?

Don’t have multi room so get the standard HD Netflix as part of my package. Locked in contract now with discount, so doesn’t seem worthwhile paying for Netflix again or multi room just to get 4K.

Did anyone else see The King on Netflix yet in 4K HDR? Your thoughts on the image/presentation?

I enjoyed the film, but I must say that I was rather disappointed in the presentation in many of the dark scenes - it's like it has a raised black level almost giving it an LCD backlighting look.

Switching from Pro modes to THX Cinema mode usually does the trick for most HDR streamed content with odd black levels, such as for Netflix's In The Tall Grass and Amazon's Jack Ryan S2, in particular. Those look awful in Professional modes, yet the black crush introduced in THX Cinema gets them looking normal.

Strangely that's not the case with this film though, some consistency sure would be nice across HDR streamed content. It never seems to be a problem with 4K HDR discs though... makes me think content creators on the streaming platforms may not always be targeting a specific standard.

So LG still releasing firmware for near blacks will any be released for the panasonic ranges

LG Firmware Update 05.10.20 Improves Near-Blacks …:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom