Panasonic FZ series (802 & 952) OLED Owners Thread

Try bumping your gamma up rather than using the brightness control, it may give a better result...
The odd thing is, when I had the Blu Ray player last year I thought the blacks were great! I haven’t watched that many films since but at some point I switched on the HDR optimiser. I’m now wondering if that is causing the problem...

The odd thing is, when I had the Blu Ray player last year I thought the blacks were great! I haven’t watched that many films since but at some point I switched on the HDR optimiser. I’m now wondering if that is causing the problem...

Maybe do a factory reset on the player if it has one...

(...) at some point I switched on the HDR optimiser. I’m now wondering if that is causing the problem...

Quite possible. On my former TV the HDR optimiser mainly boosted the brightness level to compensate the too dark mastering of early discs mentioned above.

Did you apply all settings from page 35 to your TV? The IRE settings too? And is it maybe possible that you reversed the settings from IRE2.5 to IRE100 by accident? (This is just a guess and maybe I‘m talking nonesense here, because I never touched these settings on my TV, but I would expect it to lead to lighter near blacks...)
Did everyone actually copy those IRE settings then?

From reading Rtings reviews over the years, while they also post general recommended settings for the TV's that they review, they advise to not copy the colour/white management settings as they are only relevant to the panel that was calibrated.

So this has me curious if some of you went and copied ALL those settings, is it not possible to have mucked up the accuracy, rather than refined it? Given it's already so accurate out of the box anyway.

Last edited:
Hi guys. Ok so I'm going to try and sort my problems out (lol) any help would be greatly appreciated.

1: Sound can be "broken" on certain scenes.

The video I'm about to link to is definitely the worst scene I've encountered this problem but in say an hour episode it happens 5 or 6 times (albeit not quite so bad).

It dosnt matter what the player is (UB150 or Ps4 Pro or what sound setting that I can see (normal or normal with surround sound).

2: Next up us the picture quality on the UHD disks. There appears to be black crush. Have a look at the below screen shots (especially Drax's hand and you can see the Blu Ray has far more detail on the first screen shot. This is throughout the whole movie rather than just once scene. The Blu ray screen shot is taken on my ps4 pro and the UHD disc is on the Panasonic b150 player. Time stamp is 15.19 on the Guardians 2 disc. All calibrated settings are brought across other than contrast and luminance on maximum for the UHD disc as it's in HDR. No post processing, Warm 2, 2.2 gamma etc on all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have to either fix the problems or narrow down what machinery is faulty. :)

Attachments

• 20190815_163356.jpg
    20190815_163356.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 55
  • 20190815_163409.jpg
    20190815_163409.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 48
I think I may have actually solved the picture problem :D on the tv settings HDMI YCbCR range was set to "normal" by default on all HDMI's if I set it to full it gives the level of detail (or more I guess lol) than the blu ray image. Is there any down side to this? Suprise it was set to normal by default if it results in black crush.

Will M6 X 25MM bolts be the correct size to wall mount the tv ? the bolts that came with the stand/mount are M6 X 35MM which seem a bit long.

From reading Rtings reviews over the years, while they also post general recommended settings for the TV's that they review, they advise to not copy the colour/white management settings as they are only relevant to the panel that was calibrated.

So this has me curious if some of you went and copied ALL those settings, is it not possible to have mucked up the accuracy, rather than refined it? Given it's already so accurate out of the box anyway.

I agree with this 100%. It’s fone to use others settings though I’d say use as more of a guide, as mentioned previously each panel is slightly different and requires different adjustments.

I think I may have actually solved the picture problem :D on the tv settings HDMI YCbCR range was set to "normal" by default on all HDMI's if I set it to full it gives the level of detail (or more I guess lol) than the blu ray image. Is there any down side to this? Suprise it was set to normal by default if it results in black crush.

Where do you find the HDMI settings on the TV?

Where do you find the HDMI settings on the TV?

Menu > picture > option settings

I was actually playing HDR games with black crush all this time I had the tv lmao. Never noticed it on blu rays on there because tv was always expecting a normal signal and blu rays are normal but hdr games and of course my uhd player was out putting full creating a miss match. No wonder I wasn't too impressed by UHD discs.. They all look so much better now.

Will M6 X 25MM bolts be the correct size to wall mount the tv ? the bolts that came with the stand/mount are M6 X 35MM which seem a bit long.

I used m6 x 30mm and used washers with my 65fz952b as with the wall mount and washer it brings depth down to 27mm. Recommended is min 23mm and max 28mm iirc, m6x25mm should do but I felt safer with extra 2 or 3mm

I'm still kind of stuck with the picture settings. So on my dedicated ub150 player if I insert a 4k uhd disc it needs the tv to be set to "full" for the correct picture or other wise it will have black crush (presumably because it's HDR), if I put a normal blu ray into the drive it needs to be set to normal or it will be washed out. But on this tv their is no auto setting for YCbCR... So what can I do other than never put a normal Blu Ray in the Panasonic player?...

I'm defo stuck, normal blu rays trigger YCbCR so no matter what option I choose it's either right for blu rays and wrong for UHD or vice versa. What's the point of a UHD player that can't do both.

There's an option to select RGB which would be great as the tv has an auto setting for RGB so would change depending on the source but that just appears to change the player menus as once content is launched its always YCBCR. :(

Edit; Unless YCbCR for UHDs is meant to have black level low (not high) for both blu rays and UHD? And is that the same for HDR games? Man I'm so confused lol.

Last edited:

Those settings are not good, I hope nobody is using them!

1: Sound can be "broken" on certain scenes
I've listened to the video. Does it happen on this scene every time you watch it? If so that would suggest a disc problem, not unknown with HBO discs. An audio problem that is random could suggest a loose connection or damaged drivers.

I'm defo stuck, normal blu rays trigger YCbCR so no matter what option I choose it's either right for blu rays and wrong for UHD or vice versa. What's the point of a UHD player that can't do both.

There's an option to select RGB which would be great as the tv has an auto setting for RGB so would change depending on the source but that just appears to change the player menus as once content is launched its always YCBCR. :(

Edit; Unless YCbCR for UHDs is meant to have black level low (not high) for both blu rays and UHD? And is that the same for HDR games? Man I'm so confused lol.

I don't understand why Panasonic introduced a "HDMI YCbCr Range" parameter.
Actually only RGB is meant to be used with full range (0-255). It is mostly used by PC and consoles.
YCbCr should be always limited range (16-235), that's how content is encoded on blu-ray discs, including Ultra HD discs.

You should leave this setting on "normal". The black crush is either how the content really is or your other picture settings being wrong.

You should read that: HDMI Enhanced Black Levels, xvYCC and RGB

edit: after a deeper search, I'm partly wrong, there are actually some UHD blu-ray discs encoded in 0-255 instead of the usual 16-235.
According to this source: [Test 4K Ultra HD] Divergente , this is the case at least for:
- Divergent
- The Expendables 3
- Ender's Game

Last edited:
So you're are one of the reasons I kept missing out on the deal? :)

The timings of the listings are bloody ridiculous but I managed to pick up the 65" FZ802 last night for £999. :clap:

Upgrading/up-sizing from a 55" B6, so will hopefully see an improvement. At least theres the increased size factor even if I dont see too much difference in picture quality.

I got another one, you must be one of them who bought it at 4:30 AM?

Was approx 2:45am when I got mine. Woke up and thought I would check ebay on the off chance.

Oh then eBay must have masked that information as it shows 2 purchases made at 4:32 AM on 15 August... anyway we are lucky owners! At that price point is just a bargain.

I will pair it with the Yamaha BAR 40, SUB 100 and two MusicCast 20!

I don't understand why Panasonic introduced a "HDMI YCbCr Range" parameter.
Actually only RGB is meant to be used with full range (0-255). It is mostly used by PC and consoles.
YCbCr should be always limited range (16-235), that's how content is encoded on blu-ray discs, including Ultra HD discs.

You should leave this setting on "normal". The black crush is either how the content really is or your other picture settings being wrong.

You should read that: HDMI Enhanced Black Levels, xvYCC and RGB

edit: after a deeper search, I'm partly wrong, there are actually some UHD blu-ray discs encoded in 0-255 instead of the usual 16-235.
According to this source: [Test 4K Ultra HD] Divergente , this is the case at least for:
- Divergent
- The Expendables 3
- Ender's Game

It's all so confusing. Like I can normally tell when a picture is washed out and I never got that impression on my ps4 while watching blu rays at all. But the same scenes on the uhd using the Panasonic player are so much darker covering detail on "normal". I'll have to investigate further :)

I've listened to the video. Does it happen on this scene every time you watch it? If so that would suggest a disc problem, not unknown with HBO discs. An audio problem that is random could suggest a loose connection or damaged drivers.

Yeah everytime on the same scenes. But I have watched it on other devices before and it's been fine no issues at all. It's Game of Thrones episode 3 season 7 if anyone has it

Could it actually be my soundbar is faulty?

Upgraded to the PS4 Pro yesterday from slim. Games made with HDR, like God of War, Spider-Man and Gran Turismo simply look incredible. It felt like I was in next gen already :). And of course the added clarity. I had tried my Slim before decided on the Pro, and I’m very happy and pleased I did so.

When I first connected up my PS4 I couldn’t get 2160p RGR selected because it was greyed out. Fixed it in the end, had to change some settings which I’ve forgot what they are at this moment.

Tv tells you how long you’ve played for. Well, it will say 30 mins played then 1hr played, but I’m sure you can turn it off.

The setting for Dolby Vision is automatically set to ‘on’ on my Blu Ray player. Being as my 952 doesn’t support DV would it be better to switch it off or would it have no effect on the picture either way?

Quick question if I may, just a yes or no answer:
Will this tv (952) pass a dolby Atmos signal from Netflix or prime to a compatible soundbar?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom