Panasonic FZ series (802 & 952) OLED Owners Thread

Waynej

I watched a lot of the 4K Wimbledon and was very impressed with it. Didn't see any of the pink flashing issues you mentioned. F1 is pretty good although I only watch on Ch4. Only problems I've had with the FZ has been Sky based. Flashing issues on Das Boot 4K and a few on City on a Hill 4K. I've put all these down to either broadcast or download issues even though my speed is 40kbps plus.
Flashing pink is probably a poor statement by me, what I mean is, as the camera angles changed occassionally when it went to a full-shot of the court you could see the playing field colour shift from green to a shade of pink, then back to green. The players and everything looked fine, just the playing ground would briefly and randomly have that strange effect.

I've not seen it since, but then again I don't watch much live TV. I only really watched the Rugby as I hit over 1300hrs used at the time, and figured it'd be a good test to check on vertical banding and motion again. I literally recorded it on a Youview box in a different room and then hooked that up to my aerial-less OLED afterwards just to watch it off the HDD Library. A bit of a pain, but worth it for a one off.

I see some people rate if you don't see any bands on football and the like then you're probably OK in that regard.

Daveykinetic

Flashing pink is probably a poor statement by me, what I mean is, as the camera angles changed occassionally when it went to a full-shot of the court you could see the playing field colour shift from green to a shade of pink, then back to green. The players and everything looked fine, just the playing ground would briefly and randomly have that strange effect.

I've not seen it since, but then again I don't watch much live TV. I only really watched the Rugby as I hit over 1300hrs used at the time, and figured it'd be a good test to check on vertical banding and motion again. I literally recorded it on a Youview box in a different room and then hooked that up to my aerial-less OLED afterwards just to watch it off the HDD Library. A bit of a pain, but worth it for a one off.

I see some people rate if you don't see any bands on football and the like then you're probably OK in that regard.

My fz is pretty much free from banding but I get the colour shift on every football game I watch on sky sports. Don't watch other sports so I can't comment on them but for sky q football this tv is dam awful :(

Waynej

My fz is pretty much free from banding but I get the colour shift on every football game I watch on sky sports. Don't watch other sports so I can't comment on them but for sky q football this tv is dam awful :(
The colour shift you mention, does my description sound similar? Just curious if it's the same thing.

I don't have Sky but if you spot the issue on football on the TV's BBC iPlayer app, say for Match of the Day for example, I'd be intrigued to try the same time stamp that you see issues with.

sonnyRVN

Standard Member
I watch loads of sport, football, cricket, motor racing etc. I haven’t noticed any colour gradient shifts on any Sky Sports, BT Sports, or on BBC broadcasts (iPlayer or standard channel) live or otherwise.

Note:
I have Virgin Media V6 & not Sky Q

5to1

I watched a lot of the 4K Wimbledon and was very impressed with it. Didn't see any of the pink flashing issues you mentioned. F1 is pretty good although I only watch on Ch4. Only problems I've had with the FZ has been Sky based. Flashing issues on Das Boot 4K and a few on City on a Hill 4K. I've put all these down to either broadcast or download issues even though my speed is 40kbps plus.
Could be the box as well. I’ve noticed Netflix looks better on the TV app then it does on the Sky Q app.

My wife has a habit of using Sky Q Netflix and I’ve noticed without knowing which she has used. So pretty sure it’s not just in my mind.

gibbsy

Could be the box as well. I’ve noticed Netflix looks better on the TV app then it does on the Sky Q app.

My wife has a habit of using Sky Q Netflix and I’ve noticed without knowing which she has used. So pretty sure it’s not just in my mind.
The difference between SkyQ and the Panny's app is bit rate. Sky usually outputs 4K Netflix at 11.75mbps whereas the app does so at 15.25mbps, plus the app does have HDR when available. HDR is supposed to be coming to the Sky platform but I'm not holding my breath.

tom 2000

Are you sure its not the mow stripes, LOL.

5to1

The difference between SkyQ and the Panny's app is bit rate. Sky usually outputs 4K Netflix at 11.75mbps whereas the app does so at 15.25mbps, plus the app does have HDR when available. HDR is supposed to be coming to the Sky platform but I'm not holding my breath.
Should have mentioned I’m talking about 2k Netflix. I’m aware of the compromises with 4K via Sky Q, but I don’t think there should be any with 2k?

Don’t have multi room so get the standard HD Netflix as part of my package. Locked in contract now with discount, so doesn’t seem worthwhile paying for Netflix again or multi room just to get 4K.

Waynej

Did anyone else see The King on Netflix yet in 4K HDR? Your thoughts on the image/presentation?

I enjoyed the film, but I must say that I was rather disappointed in the presentation in many of the dark scenes - it's like it has a raised black level almost giving it an LCD backlighting look.

Switching from Pro modes to THX Cinema mode usually does the trick for most HDR streamed content with odd black levels, such as for Netflix's In The Tall Grass and Amazon's Jack Ryan S2, in particular. Those look awful in Professional modes, yet the black crush introduced in THX Cinema gets them looking normal.

Strangely that's not the case with this film though, some consistency sure would be nice across HDR streamed content. It never seems to be a problem with 4K HDR discs though... makes me think content creators on the streaming platforms may not always be targeting a specific standard.

HRF1T2007

So LG still releasing firmware for near blacks will any be released for the panasonic ranges

LG Firmware Update 05.10.20 Improves Near-Blacks …:

5to1

Did anyone else see The King on Netflix yet in 4K HDR? Your thoughts on the image/presentation?

I enjoyed the film, but I must say that I was rather disappointed in the presentation in many of the dark scenes - it's like it has a raised black level almost giving it an LCD backlighting look.

Switching from Pro modes to THX Cinema mode usually does the trick for most HDR streamed content with odd black levels, such as for Netflix's In The Tall Grass and Amazon's Jack Ryan S2, in particular. Those look awful in Professional modes, yet the black crush introduced in THX Cinema gets them looking normal.

Strangely that's not the case with this film though, some consistency sure would be nice across HDR streamed content. It never seems to be a problem with 4K HDR discs though... makes me think content creators on the streaming platforms may not always be targeting a specific standard.
I have noticed raised blacks on Netflix a few times, even in Pro 2. Thanks for the suggestion about switching to THX, will give that a try.

JimBobRude

So LG still releasing firmware for near blacks will any be released for the panasonic ranges

LG Firmware Update 05.10.20 Improves Near-Blacks …:
I wouldn’t hold your breath. I’ve had 3 Panasonic 4K TVs so far and they haven’t Exactly been pro active when it comes to updates.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Netflix through Sky Q won't have WCG, for UHD content either. And of course, there's no Dolby Vision via the Sky Q box.

Paul

MultiRoom

I wouldn’t hold your breath. I’ve had 3 Panasonic 4K TVs so far and they haven’t Exactly been pro active when it comes to updates.
I had an LG once (E6), they released updates for it so frequently it got annoying, because there followed so much talk and speculation on these forums regarding the improvements, whether the naff TruMotion had improved or not, and at one time it made a detrimental difference to HDR in gaming mode and everyone was up in arms. Therefore I'd say be careful what you wish for, this TV (802 for me) is near perfect, if only they'd sort the micro stutter issue that some of us can see, that would be the only update I'd like, other than that there's no need to fix what isn't broken, so to speak.

5to1

I had an LG once (E6), they released updates for it so frequently it got annoying, because there followed so much talk and speculation on these forums regarding the improvements, whether the naff TruMotion had improved or not, and at one time it made a detrimental difference to HDR in gaming mode and everyone was up in arms. Therefore I'd say be careful what you wish for, this TV (802 for me) is near perfect, if only they'd sort the micro stutter issue that some of us can see, that would be the only update I'd like, other than that there's no need to fix what isn't broken, so to speak.
Well it would be nice if they implemented DOG dimming and any other panel protection features they add to the newer sets. IMO these aren't features but akin to security updates you get on other older devices.

MultiRoom

Well it would be nice if they implemented DOG dimming and any other panel protection features they add to the newer sets. IMO these aren't features but akin to security updates you get on other older devices.
It was a ‘security’ feature that nobbled the brightness on the E6, basically making it perform completely differently to the TV that we’d all originally purchased. It’s like Apple purposely slowing down their phones with updates to encourage people to buy new ones. I’d opt for keeping the TV as it is over enhancements. I bought the TV because I liked the feature set st the tile of purchase, and like I say, despite the micro stutter, it’s perfect.

HRF1T2007

It was a ‘security’ feature that nobbled the brightness on the E6, basically making it perform completely differently to the TV that we’d all originally purchased. It’s like Apple purposely slowing down their phones with updates to encourage people to buy new ones. I’d opt for keeping the TV as it is over enhancements. I bought the TV because I liked the feature set st the tile of purchase, and like I say, despite the micro stutter, it’s perfect.
Thing is you can't use a lot of the features like the apps unless you update, and also even though I'd set mine to not auto update somehow it did.which gave me my issue and another's on here with a brightness fluctuation which has effected our black levels and as a workaround either dial back brightness to - 5 or turn brightness all the way up tgen down then back to default but that us a pain so I've stumped for - 5 brightness

So I'm hoping for a firmware update which might just fix my issue at least by accident

5to1

If you're referring to battery gate, then Apple didnt slow down peoples phones to encourage them to upgrade. They throttled performance once the battery degraded to the point it's power delivery was unpredictable. The alternatives would have been to allow random ungraceful shutdowns which could have resulted in data loss and hardware issues. I can assure you as someone that's owned an embedded design company that having your device throttled is the far better option than users losing their data or a hardware fault which would be far more costly.

The mistake they made was collecting battery metrics and then acting on them without informing the user.

WRT updates in general, if you believe a manufacturer is releasing regressive updates, then the issue lies with their processes. Not the fact they have needed to release an update.

In the past i've had a recall on a car due to a mechanical part with which the manufacturer discovered a fault. The part was not performing within designed tolerance. Critical software updates are the digital equivalent of this. Modern TV's ship with reams of code and it's more than likely there will be issues with that code or over time improvements can be made. Consumers expect non feature updates for devices such as laptops, smartphones, etc. There is no reason we shouldn't have the same expectation of smart TV's. Particularly when many of them cost a lot more then the aforementioned devices.

Whilst I appreciate you may be happy with your TV, you always have the option to ignore updates (perhaps they should also allow users to roll back updates). Whereas by arguing against the need for updates, you are excusing certain manufacturers apathy towards customers once they have got our money.

DOG's have been ubiquitous long before this TV shipped and Panasonic were fully aware of the potential they could cause damage to OLED panels. Therefore, IMO, if feasible they should deploy the DOG dimming feature to older TV's. Particularly when they preclude burn in/out from warranty's.

Not doing so is analogous to Apple knowing a virus existed before shipping the iPhone XS. But once they found a mitigating solution only deploying it to new phones.

Paddyg

Standard Member
I have had the 55fz802 since June and until now have had no issues. The picture quality is absolutely amazing.

However, this week, whilst watching Suits on the TV's Amazon Prime app, I am getting lots of stutter. Happening numerous times through each episode. Thought it was a bad broadband connection at first, but has been doing it for the last week now!

It's not motion judder, which has been mentioned before on this forum. It's definitely a stutter. A previous poster described it well as 'A sudden discontinuity in motion, generally perceived as either a skipped or a repeated frame due to a breakdown in the motion processing in the TV'.

Has there been a firmware update recently, as I can't understand why this stuttering has just started? First 3 seasons of Suits did not see a single stutter, now in season 4 it happens every couple of minutes!

If I can't find a solution, TV will have to go back as it's unbearable!

BTW, I have all motion processing turned off (IFC black frame etc.)

Waynej

I have had the 55fz802 since June and until now have had no issues. The picture quality is absolutely amazing.

However, this week, whilst watching Suits on the TV's Amazon Prime app, I am getting lots of stutter. Happening numerous times through each episode. Thought it was a bad broadband connection at first, but has been doing it for the last week now!

It's not motion judder, which has been mentioned before on this forum. It's definitely a stutter. A previous poster described it well as 'A sudden discontinuity in motion, generally perceived as either a skipped or a repeated frame due to a breakdown in the motion processing in the TV'.

Has there been a firmware update recently, as I can't understand why this stuttering has just started? First 3 seasons of Suits did not see a single stutter, now in season 4 it happens every couple of minutes!

Have you tested other content recently too? If you see it elsewhere too, such as Netflix or Blu-ray, then I'd be more concerned.

Whether it's the same thing or not, I couldn't tell you - but I do often find content on Amazon more juddery in motion than Netflix.

Edit: Is the show in HDR? There's what I consider a bug but it's reportedly by design. When the Amazon Video app is launched if you play anything in HDR it reverts back to True Cinema HDR with Warm1 temp and IFC on Min.

I just use the picture toggle button to quickly switch viewing modes, but it is quite annoying. It will remember this change briefly, until the app is closed and relaunched.

Last edited:

Paddyg

Standard Member
Not had chance yet! Planning on testing some other sources at weekend.
Just wondered if firmware update may have caused, as was perfect before!

SickSquirrel

On my Amazon 4K dongle I has to turn on "Match Original Frame Rate" to get smooth judder free motion from all content:-

Paddyg

Standard Member
Thanks for that! I have a 4k fire TV stick, however stopped using it due to very bad audio delay. Have been using the TV's Prime app instead! Need to have a play around with various sources to see if I can solve!

Also think this relates more to judder than stutter. I'm getting what appears to be a split second glitch in the picture at random intervals!

MultiRoom

If you're referring to battery gate, then Apple didnt slow down peoples phones to encourage them to upgrade.
OK then, who told you that? Apple? Once they'd been rumbled?

Must be true then.... :rotfl::rotfl::facepalm::facepalm:

They denied it and denied it, and then it came out that they did throttle the performance having previously denied it - that was the best excuse they could come up with. It was lapped up by the more gullible.

5to1

OK then, who told you that? Apple? Once they'd been rumbled?

Must be true then.... :rotfl::rotfl::facepalm::facepalm:

They denied it and denied it, and then it came out that they did throttle the performance having previously denied it - that was the best excuse they could come up with. It was lapped up by the more gullible.
That and over a decade of experience working in embedded design and software engineering.

If as you suggest it was a deliberate ploy to knobble devices to force people to upgrade then it would have been more consistent and not followed levels of battery degradation. We develop for their platform and could see only certain devices in our test suite suffered throttling. They were also the ones with batteries that were reporting significantly lower capacity.

Moreover, there was plenty of scrutiny by industry experts, including those from the Jailbreaking community. No one turned up evidence that they were arbitrarily nobbling peoples devices for any other reason.

But of course you know better, LOL.

And i've already stated their mistake was not being open and upfront about it.