Panasonic FZ series (802 & 952) OLED Owners Thread

martin 39

I doubt it sadly...don’t see pana doing it for fz
Good news cheap stickd like Roku or amazon 4k stick will allow to get Apple TV...
I thought that myself will these sticks also get Disney when that launches really want to see the star wars series . Also it's another bloody remote to loose down the sofa

Waynej

I thought that myself will these sticks also get Disney when that launches really want to see the star wars series . Also it's another bloody remote to loose down the sofa
I'd recommend a Harmony remote. Back when I was having issues with ARC and my YSP2700 soundbar playing ball, I ultimately settled on an optical connection for the TV. Obviously losing the benefit of HDMI Control in the process. I also dislike the basic Panasonic remote and was eyeing up purchasing the premium/metal Panasonic remote, but for the similar cost and features gain, I settled on the Harmony Elite instead.

martin 39

Always fancied one of them I gave up in arc a long time ago on arc just can't get it to work with my old arcam avr 400.

martin 39

Would Apple TV not just appear on the Amazon app on the TV . I'm more than happy with the TV apps . Don't really want to have another box to pay for

Daveykinetic

Anyone find the football on sky q very annoying when the pitch changes different shades of green dependant on viewing angle? I'm sure someone mentioned it was a broadcast issue but why does it not do it on my other none oled tvs in the house?.It's really annoying me. I can't stand it. Can any settings on on sky q box or 802 eliminate the problem?

scriptguy

Novice Member
I don't really have a clue as to what all the numbers mean on the system info page either. I see Ansilble has already explained it in more detail though.

I just occassionally pay attention to Status 4 to confirm it goes up a few hours after I binge some Netflix or watch a film, and it does.

I'm more fascinated by using those hours to work out my typical daily viewing hours over a longer period. In a few days I will have had my TV for 7-months. I've added-on by my tyipical viewing that I will be at about 1446 hours of viewing. Equivilant to 6.885 hours per day. So that indicates my daily viewing varies between 6-7 hours per day.

I think that's a little high actually considering I don't have any set top box hooked up on this TV. I mostly watch Netflix or Amazon's TV shows. I do tend to binge-watch too, having sat through 4 episodes of Amazon's Jack Ryan just last night. With the odd film thrown in on their platforms too, or UHD discs viewing - the numbers sound about right. If I don't end up watching a film for a few hours then that's probably replaced with some gaming.
Makes sense.. From barely watching any telly for months i ended up with 7-8 hours of viewing on day 1 yesterday. :) Sadly my new found time-pass device has run into issues. I see a faint black vertical line right down the middle. Strangely it faded away after switching to standby so much so that you have to get real close to the screen to even make out its there. Wondering if i should wait it out for the panel to settle
WIll post a video a little later

HRF1T2007

Anyone find the football on sky q very annoying when the pitch changes different shades of green dependant on viewing angle? I'm sure someone mentioned it was a broadcast issue but why does it not do it on my other none oled tvs in the house?.It's really annoying me. I can't stand it. Can any settings on on sky q box or 802 eliminate the problem?
Colour shift I believe you maybe suseptable to

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Would Apple TV not just appear on the Amazon app on the TV . I'm more than happy with the TV apps . Don't really want to have another box to pay for
I doubt it really...
But same issue will appear with Disney I guess. This is becoming a pain and will be nice to have one gateway to all of these.
Roku and amazon will remain best chance to get all this in one place...Apple may try too...

In case you guys missed it, Samsung is opening to share tizen with other players...Panasonic was mentioned in the French article I read :)

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Seems wired how Panasonic wouldn't want to update there system with more apps
Best thing pana should do is outsource this headache...tizen or android, I don’t care...
Their os is stable but frankly too far behind the others now...

On the flip side, I also like how spartan the OS is but that means you NEED to add something potent like Nvidia, Roku, amazon,...
That’s where I am going right now...

Johnny23

Novice Member
Hello,

What picture preset/settings you guys suggest for Xbox OneX (SDR/ mainly HDR) ?
It seems to me exp.
- Game mode sharper than others
- THX Cinema more color accurate, but less sharp/bright
- some reviews say, sharpness must be on 0. Really 0 is the best?
- and another one, which setting (if any) can control the background details ín games? It's very noticable washed, after a Sony LED

(my set is not calibrated)
Thank you,
J

Last edited:

martin 39

I was considering getting a firestick in the bf sale but might wait and see what happens with Disney . The star wars is the main thing I want to watch . Would also like Apple TV just to rent films in 4 k

Waynej

Hello,

What picture preset/settings you guys suggest for Xbox OneX (SDR/ mainly HDR) ?
It seems to me exp.
- Game mode sharper than others
- THX Cinema more color accurate, but less sharp/bright
- some reviews say, sharpness must be on 0. Really 0 is the best?
- and another one, which setting (if any) can control the background details ín games? It's very noticable washed, after a Sony LED

(my set is not calibrated)
Thank you,
J
For gaming I'd actually avoid the Game, Normal and Dynamic picture modes. They are all far too bright.

As you say THX is accurate. I just use Professional 1 with Luminance adjusted to my room (or obviously defaulted to max at HDR). Just have Game mode enabled in picture options for low input lag. I'd also recommend turning on the Game mode reminder too, if you happen to get carried away with longer sessions. Just an added precaution but not needed for most modern games where HUD element fade or can be turned off entirely.

Waynej

Always fancied one of them I gave up in arc a long time ago on arc just can't get it to work with my old arcam avr 400.
It's great. Customised mine so it basically gives me all the benefits I was getting with HDMI Control, but now with a more stable Optical connection.

My single push activities include, powering on all linked devices if they are off, as well as giving me custom controls per activity. For example I have the Channel up/down keys set to Subwoofer up/down to match my YSP remote. The info button displays the TV info, or long pressing it displays info for the soundbar. I have this altered for the Blu-ray player to show me playback info instead. I also have the TV's Picture mode toggle button assigned for all activities.

Really the best thing about it is no longer having to juggle the TV remote alongside the soundbar remote, nor do I need to use the UB420 player remote. Any buttons I would commonly use on other remotes have been assigned to the Harmony - which controls everything.

I only need to pick up a game pad for the Xbox and PS4, that's it.

These are my activities:

TV Home
-Opens TV's Home menu for access to Netflix, Prime etc. Swirch soundbar to Optical TV audio.

Play Xbox One X
-Switches TV to HDMI2 for the soundbar. Switches soundbar to HDMI1 for Xbox.

Play PS4 Pro
-Switches TV to HDMI2. Switches soundbar to HDMI 2 for PS4.

Watch 4K Blu-ray
-Switches TV to HDMI1 for Panasonic UB420 4K Player (required for HDR10+ discs). Switches soundbar to HDMI3 for UB420's dedicated HDMI audio.

*I also have the following activity because the TV does a far better job at upscaling...

Watch HD Blu-ray
-Switches TV to HDMI1 for Panasonic UB420 4K Player. Switches soundbar to HDMI3 for UB420's dedicated HDMI audio.

And then...
It goes through a custom chain of commands automatically to switch resolution to 1080p from 4K and returns to the UB420 main menu, and is ready for disc insertion. It's like it's possessed basically, but by the time you dig out your Blu-ray it's all done - more importantly it takes the tedium out of doing it manually everytime. When switching activity or powering down I have it set to revert back to 4K resolution - so this means the 'Watch 4K Blu-ray' activity remains faster at all times.

Last edited:

martin 39

Wow I only have the ub420 and sky Ive never touched the controls or output on the player since I brought it except turning on the optimizer option . Sounds a good piece of kit the remote . I'm the only one in the family who uses the amp the rest are happy with the TV speakers . It's hard enough explaining to watch in HD

Johnny23

Novice Member
For gaming I'd actually avoid the Game, Normal and Dynamic picture modes. They are all far too bright.

As you say THX is accurate. I just use Professional 1 with Luminance adjusted to my room (or obviously defaulted to max at HDR). Just have Game mode enabled in picture options for low input lag. I'd also recommend turning on the Game mode reminder too, if you happen to get carried away with longer sessions. Just an added precaution but not needed for most modern games where HUD element fade or can be turned off entirely.
do you use Prof1 by default, or set calibrated only?
I use THX Cinema basically for.everything (general, sport, gaming) currently.
what about sharpness/max detailed picture?

scriptguy

Novice Member
This is how my TV looks like now. It is most noticeable with grays (1-2 feet away) while with other colors such as the green on My Home Screen one has to get real close and one might still miss it. Should i be returning this? Dont think its related to typical vertical banding

Attachments

Barrovian

This is how my TV looks like now. It is most noticeable with grays (1-2 feet away) while with other colors such as the green on My Home Screen one has to get real close and one might still miss it. Should i be returning this? Dont think its related to typical vertical banding
Ah, mate😟 It doesn’t look like any vertical banding I’ve seen. It’s usually in ‘columns’ as opposed to a thin line, if you get my drift. I don’t know what it is, but either way it’s not right. Return ASAP.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
@Johnny23 In terms of settings, these are the high level ones:
1. Pro1 (top quality content. You use advance options for color gamut and gamma)
2. Thx cinema (most of the viewing)
3. Natural: best for hdr
Warm 2
IFC on Min
Gamma 2.2 in general
Sound: music option and surround pro
For games, you can use same settings as above but have to tick the game option.

Last edited:

scriptguy

Novice Member
Ah, mate😟 It doesn’t look like any vertical banding I’ve seen. It’s usually in ‘columns’ as opposed to a thin line, if you get my drift. I don’t know what it is, but either way it’s not right. Return ASAP.
No.. dread going through the hassles of getting another set. :(. With no 2019 Pannys released here and with barely any batch of 2018s remaining, think i'll end up with an LG C9(the dealer already hinted that). Mate, I really loved the FZ

Waynej

do you use Prof1 by default, or set calibrated only?
I use THX Cinema basically for.everything (general, sport, gaming) currently.
what about sharpness/max detailed picture?
I have not had a professional calibration. From reading the TV review here and elsewhere, a calibration only really achieves perfect graphs and reportedly has no impact on real content. With that in mind, I've not bothered. It was also a factor in choosing this Panasonic.

I just leave the accurate modes to their default settings for the most part. I ensure IFC is off, I recently lowered Sharpness from 30 to 0 as I just want whatever the neutral value is. I also use 2.4 gamma for SDR as per the avforums review.

From recent viewings you can't go wrong with THX Cinema or either of the Professional modes.

I mostly use Professional 1 and 2. I have luminace a little lower on Pro2 for when I am watching in a pitch black room.

I find in some streaming content that the blacks in dark or night scenes can appear raised - in those cases I find THX Cinema the best option as it appears to crush the blacks, which in some cases really helps the washed out look in some content.

Any night time scene in Netflix's In The Tall Grass (HDR) film should prove a good example. Just have THX Cinema and Professional modes under your Picture mode toggle button to quickly flip between those picture modes.

gibbsy

I never watch football but the rugby from Japan was almost perfect even on the quick movements.

HRF1T2007

This is such a shame. It's really obvious to see on my set. Every time I watch football I can't stand it. I take it there is no fix for it either?
As others said rugby World Cup has been perfect
might also be due to stadium lighting or skys broadcast that makes it more visible to you

Waynej

As others said rugby World Cup has been perfect
might also be due to stadium lighting or skys broadcast that makes it more visible to you
I also had no issues with the itv Rugby World Cup footage. I've not watched any Football, but the Tennis in HDR/HLG on BBC iPlayer a few months back had some strange pink flashing on the green court. It was so brief if you blinked you could miss it, but it was really quite distracting. I am guessing this is probably the same complaint?

5to1

I also had no issues with the itv Rugby World Cup footage. I've not watched any Football, but the Tennis in HDR/HLG on BBC iPlayer a few months back had some strange pink flashing on the green court. It was so brief if you blinked you could miss it, but it was really quite distracting. I am guessing this is probably the same complaint?
Do you mean the iPlayer Wimbledon 4K feed?

If so I didn’t notice any issues with that (other then one day when they had network issues causing drop outs), it looked fantastic. I watched on Pro 1.

Waynej

Do you mean the iPlayer Wimbledon 4K feed?

If so I didn’t notice any issues with that (other then one day when they had network issues causing drop outs), it looked fantastic. I watched on Pro 1.
Yeah, it was Wimbledon. I only watched one or two big matches and it was quite rare to spot, could have just been a one off I guess. As I say the Rugby has been fine.

Be interested if the person who spotted an issue with the football could maybe find a problematic moment on Match of the Day on iPlayer or something. At least a few of us could double check that then to rule out if it's just the content or not.

gibbsy

Yeah, it was Wimbledon. I only watched one or two big matches and it was quite rare to spot, could have just been a one off I guess. As I say the Rugby has been fine.

Be interested if the person who spotted an issue with the football could maybe find a problematic moment on Match of the Day on iPlayer or something. At least a few of us could double check that then to rule out if it's just the content or not.
I watched a lot of the 4K Wimbledon and was very impressed with it. Didn't see any of the pink flashing issues you mentioned. F1 is pretty good although I only watch on Ch4. Only problems I've had with the FZ has been Sky based. Flashing issues on Das Boot 4K and a few on City on a Hill 4K. I've put all these down to either broadcast or download issues even though my speed is 40kbps plus.