1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic FX7 and FX2

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mistrip, Jul 27, 2004.

1. mistrip

mistrip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  2. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    These cameras look like good alternatives to the Casio exz40 and Pentax Optio S4i i had been trying to decide between but like you I have not been able to find out any more information other than from the link you posted. Seems that there are quite a few new cameras coming out after summer as I was also interested in a Minolta Z2 but now hear there is a Z3 with image stabilisation pared up with a 12x zoom lens. At this rate I won't buy anything. :(

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My canon S1's image stabilizer is fantastic with its 10 x zoom and ultrasonic motor its so silent its hard to believe.

4. mistrip

mistrip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Like you I'm also looking at the Pentax S4i which seems generally to get good reviews and I've used Pentax in the past and always been pleased with them.

I've also found a little more info about pricing for the FX7 (I'll post the link if I can find it again) but it looks like it will be around $500 (so possibly £300 if we're very lucky in the UK). However I asked about this camera in my local Shop@Pansonic and they said that at present the FX5 is the new model and probably will be for the next 8 months or so. Although they did say that the next product update from Panasonic is due in September/October so that would be the earliest time that any new products could be announced in the UK.

Not sure how much longer I'm prepared to wait though.

5. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The FX7/FX2 are scheduled for an August release, so hopefully we will see models in the UK soon.

Being replacements to the FX1 & FX5 i.e. same camera in a smaller case and CDD improvements, I'm quite confident that they will, in terms of image quality, wipe the floor with the Pentax and Casio mentioned earlier.

Have a look at review of the FX5 which will give you an idea of how good the new models will be. There are sample pictures on Panasonic's USA(or Japanese?) web site but I don't think these are very good examples.

I recently bought a Sony P120 for my wife, which although whilst a great camera (highly recommended as a compact), is not as appealing as the FX7, so I took it back to the shop for a refund.

Eagerly waiting for the FX7....

6. mistrip

mistrip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Does anyone know how the Panasonic FX5 compares to the Optio S4i then?

7. mistrip

mistrip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just checked and the FX7 is available on the Panasonic website for £350. Checked pricerunner and there's a place offering it for £299 also.

The panasonic website says its expected on 9th Sept.

8. max_keller

max_keller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its Optical Image Stabilisation technology can correct any hand movment when you're taking pictures. I often took some pictures for my cats, and they just keep moving around.

9. mistrip

mistrip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ok, I've been waiting a while for the fx7 to be released and its available now from ~£300. The problem is Pentax are shortly bringing out the S5i which is presumably the replacement for the S4i so does anyone think that one will be better than the other.

There's a preview of the s5i here:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1093359601.html

10. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No mention of an image stabilizer on the Pentax there so I would say the fx7 still has the advantage.