Panasonic Freeview Disaster - Please help

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Chris23, May 30, 2005.

1. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a Panasonic TX-32DT4 elevision which has an integrated Freeview decoder. When I switched it onto Freeview tonight it told me that there was a system update available & asked if I wanted to download it. I said yes.

After 7 minutes of downloading it told me that it was now updating the settings & the screen went blank. I left it for 15 minutes but absolutely nothing happened. I now have no Freeview - a black screen - although analogue works normally.

To try & recover the situation I have tried going into set up but other than the initial menu there is nothing there.

How on earth do I get back to a point where Freeview is available in some form as a starting point to getting the full sevice back?

Has anyone else had system update disasters?

Please help as I really haven't got any obvious options! :lease:

2. Pricey

Pricey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly the same thing has happened to me today (and to a mate of mine).

I have returned it to the Factory Settings in the hope that would of helped but now it just tries to tune itself every time I turn the TV on. It falls over at the DVB tuning with the message 'Invalid DVB Channel'

I have read that I will have to get someone out to reset it but I really hope thats not the case. :(

3. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried calling Panasonic?

I reckon if their update has buggered it up so much you can't even return it to the state it was in originally then they should make it better, warranty or no warranty.

Either way, their tech support line should be your first port of call.

4. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Pricey,

Yes I too have the "invalid DVD channel" message. This really does sound like a mess that is not our fault - whether that will do us any good remains to be seen.

I am sure that there is a reset but how? I don't believe that most Panasonic dealers have a special box to do anything.

I will try Panasonic helpline in the morning but I expect a bit of buckpassing here with Panasonic & Freeview blaming each other.

Anyone have an answer?

Chris

5. netflix

netflix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the same problem and don't know whether to go back to Panasonic or the retailer or if there is an easy fix. I can't beleive that they have released a dodgy patch, but I have the exact same problem.

Please HELP!

6. netflix

netflix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody?

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Guys wehat TV's we using? i've got a ver(i)ia plasma and it seemed to up date ok on friday?

bit scaried now if it comes up again :eek:

Gary

8. netflix

netflix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a TX-28DTX1. (28" CRT IDTV). It has worked a treat till now, but this is really disapointing. You would think with this sort of system, that they would have some sort of fall back measure? I don't think I will be updatiing again in a hurry!

9. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    freeview updates all the time, i've never known it be a problem before :eek:

have you call them? what have they said?

Gary

10. netflix

netflix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried ringing the Panny helpline and i just got a "we are receiving too many calls" notice and got told i would have to ring back. Poor customer relations if you ask me, but fair do's that they probably have high call numbers the day after a bank holiday. I did also email them and they told me that I would have to send the TV back to be repaired. Not too conenient baring in mind that it is a 28" CRT! Spoke to the supplier also (www.digitaldirectuk.com) and they have offered to send out an engineer to re-flash the TV.

Watch this space!

11. Pricey

Pricey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't get any joy out of the Panasonic customer care phone line so I tried the place I bought the TV from. The kindly woman guessed my make of TV (TX-28DTX1) before I told her and supplied the information that Panasonic seemed that have released and update that just corrupts this model. Just my luck.
    I am waiting the the retailer to speak to Panasonic and decide on the best way to proceed.

12. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Pricey,
    We are treading the same lonely path. I failed to get through to Panasonic but soon found out why.

My local Panasonic service centre is a family run business and knows what service means. They were very helpful but can't do much. It appears that if a software update is received & fails the dealer can come out with a card which they put into the back of your tv which forces an update. Unfortunately in this case it does not work and the poor guy I spoke too reckoned he had a nice list on his desk of users in exactly the same position. He is waiting for Panasonic to get back to him when they have decided what to do. He will contact me when he has an answer & I will post here. In the meantime patience.

Perhaps for others I need to explain that the update yesterday was to the operating system which I don't think is the same thing as the small updates you get regularily when a new channel starts. It seems to be a particular problem that needs a solution.

What confuses the situation is that some Panasonic TVs seem to have uploaded it without problem. I think he is waiting for Panasonic to say our aerials are not good enough. It appears that any degradation, like a badly suppressed car going by, can cause failure. Not a very robust system & no fail safe. Sounds like a poor system that will cause endless problems over the years when everyones granny is depending on it.

I await developments.

Chris

13. a4lloxo

a4lloxo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    i have a tx-28dtx1,which,until last night worked fine,now after the update its not working at all,tries to tune itself every time i switch it on,but the i get "invalid dvb channel".phoned panasonic tech support this morning and they said i had a software problem and gave me a number to call.i have one question.who is responsible for the updates?whoever it is should be shot in this posters opinion :lease:

14. MrP

MrP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a TX28DT4 which also worked fine till this morning!! :mad: Phoned Panasonic and was told to phone my nearest repairer (50 miles away!) they weren't much help and said would phone me back, not heard anything yet!! Think Watchdog might be interested?

15. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So.

Digital TV !!!!
    This is progress then, it seems that Panasonic are not just content with providing DVD Recorders with bad firmware, they are now even capable of remotely trashing our TV's. And then dumping all their customers onto the dealers, who have no doubt not even been given the information they need to fix Panasonics mess. :mad: :mad:

Can the situation get any worse ??

16. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Let us not get too paranoid & despondent yet.

Panasonic have made a real c**k up & I am sure they know it. Equally I am sure that the only way that they can resolve it in the short term is through their dealers. As posted above my dealer has a list of people who need help and as soon as they get the tools from Panasonic intend to sort it out. How this is done will tell us a lot about Panasonic. If they either delay or try & charge anybody they deserve all the flack & Watchdog that I will try & make sure they get - but I trust that is not how they will act. If they respond quickly & pay the dealers to sort out the mess then I think that is fair. They have until the end of the week.

What I will remain unhappy about is any future update & recommending this technology to anybody else. Once they turn off analogue transmitters one bad update could turn off domestic UK television reception. Wow - as good as any terrorist could dream of.

17. a4lloxo

a4lloxo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    well,i called martin dawes,explained the prob,was offered an engineer to call tommorow morning at no cost :D so ill keep you posted as to what happens

18. eagle46t

eagle46t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem as every body else on this thread.
    I have been told by my local J Lewis to wait a few days and things will be put right.
    But this will have to be done by a engineer,because they can't download a correction if we have no DVB signal.

Who can we turn to?
    This is really a serious matter.

eagle46t

19. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My local Panasonic Service Centre contacted me this morning at 0820 to tell me that they now have the answer from Panasonic and that they are going to go out & "do" their list this morning/ early pm. It appears that the problem affects 4 models.

The good news is that Panasonic are going to pick up the bill for this but the bad news is that I will never trust an update again. Just think of the problems once Freeview becomes universal.

I wonder what we will notice as different?

Chris

20. netflix

netflix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is ridiculous. Firstly, the update was release for my TV on a bank holiday monday, so, no support! Then, when i try and get through to Panasonic yesterday, all I got all day was "we are experienceing too many calls at present, please call back". No sh*t sherlock! Why could they not put something on the support pages of their website, or a message on the answer phone? Leaving people in the dark is simply not good enough when they have caused this problem themselves.

But like Chris23 said, we will have to wait and see what they do next before they get judged!

21. netflix

netflix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoken to a friend who works for a TV shop and they have just heard from Panasonic that it is definately a degredation issue. Apparently, it downloads the patch through the signal, but does not check the consistency of what it has downloaded properly before it applies it, so anyy degredation and it applies a corrupt update. Seems a little silly to me but i guess it is something that they will be able to deal with before they release any more system updates!

22. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sounds like poor design to me. I know that Sky boxes keep two copies of the software in non-volatile memory - the current version and the previous one - and will revert to the old software if there is a problem. If Freeview boxes don't do this, it's stupid, because Freeview is much more prone to interference than Sky.

23. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    C J Harrill & Nick UK

Than answer is so obvious I am amazed that you missed it. Just close the road outside your house whenever you want to download having checked with the electricity company that there will be no glitches and employ a birdscarer to prevent birds sitting on your aerial.

They have just got to come up with something more robust than this. I just hope that they can do something before the next upgrade. I am concerned that if there is not the facility/ capability to store more than one version of the operating system or check it before implementation then I am not sure that there will be an answer. The hardware has to be capable of supporting an answer. Is it?

24. netflix

netflix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't agree more. If Sky would take that sort of precaution, over what is a far more reliable medium, then you have to ask question about Panasonic's deisign? My biggest complaint about this, is not that the problem has occured, but that the only solution is a visit from an engineer to fix it. Why could they not have designed a backout from this upgrade, like it sounds as if the Sky system can.

25. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The engineer has been out & fixed it by forcing an update via a card put into the back of the tv. Paid for by Panasonic so chase your dealers.

It appears that they are blaming signal problems but as they are paying for it I wonder if this is a partial smokescreen. It does however appear that around here the problems are somewhat geographical within the transmitter coverage.

Apparantly Panasonic are normally a bit iffy - but not in this case - & arn't interested unless you have a specifically DVD aerial & specifically DVD downlead. The engineer is hoping things improve when analogue is switched off & the digital signals are made more powerful.

I think we would all agree that a system that is so easily corrupted without a failsafe other than getting an engineer out is absolutely monumentally stupid. Is freeserve really this poorly specified & fragile? Onto the brave new world.

26. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes, I believe it is. I don't think this will be resolved until the cease of analogue broadcasting, and by then I think there will be a new generation of digital box - one which can compete with satellite on equal terms.

27. a4lloxo

a4lloxo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Chris 23,interesting that your problem has been fixed by your dealer.ive just had a call from my dealer(who was supposed to send an engineer this morning)to say that they are waiting for the appropriate software from panasonic to fix the problem,and cant even give me a ballpark timescale.the dealer in question is martin dawes.......not the smallest in the country by any means.......i wonder if im being fed a load of crap?
    im very peed off by the whole episode,and as you guys have been discussing,there appears to be nothing we can do to stop it from happening again(apart from upgrading of course).im just lucky that i have an external stb that i can plug in.ill keep posting developments as they happen.

28. guylj

guylj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is all very reminiscent of what can happen when you try to flash upgrade firmware on a PC Motherboard or other device. Except that there the download will have been checksummed to be sure it is error free before you attempt to apply it.

A handful of PC Motherboard manufacturers (eg Gigabyte) use two seperate BIOS chips so if something goes wrong during an upgrade (eg power loss) you can safely revert to the other chip and reattempt the upgrade on the compromised BIOS. However this sort of set up might be a bit complicated for a domestic TV unless it could be completely automated.

Surely the answer must be to have enough capability "hardwired" so that the TV can always force apply further OTA upgrades should a corrupt one accidentally be installed. But presumably it would mean another dedicated chip and no doubt the bean counters would frown on that.

I'm not recommending anyone try this unless they know exactly what they are doing but presumably even access to the Engineering menu is disabled by this upgrade?

29. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's not too complicated for a Sky box - that's exactly how it works.

30. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah....

But how to convince the manufacturers to spend a few pence more on
    their equipment, that is the challenge.

All they seem to want to do nowadays is to cutback, cutback and cutback on manufacturing costs. :(

Gone are the days of quality, its quantity now.