Panasonic Flexible Recording Query

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by StuBFrost, Dec 21, 2004.

1. StuBFrost

StuBFrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I have a Panasonic E65 and I wanted to archive 6 episodes of a series from Sky+. Each episode was 33 minutes including ads so I entered 3h 30m into the flexible recording and left it running overnight (this was onto DVD-RAM).

When it had finished, I edited out the commercials of each episode on the Panasonic and then loaded them onto my PC for converting to DVD-R.

What I can't understand is that each episode is about 450mb which means all 6 episodes take 2.7gb. I thought that the FR mode would make use of the full 4.7gb of the DVD-RAM.

What did I do wrong ?

Thanks

Stuart

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    These things can get very complicated even with a calculator, but basically you can't do this in one unattended recording.

You need to know the approximate duration of each programme after removal of commercials (eg 20 mins). Then 6x20mins = 2 hours.

ie 2 hours is the initial target for FR mode and your first recording session will catch 3 full programmes. Then tidy up these 3 (and remove any of prog 4) before adding further progs.

Sorry i'll have to stop now it's hurting, but you get the idea. :)

3. StuBFrost

StuBFrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I think I understand.

I set the FR to 2 hours and record as much as I can. This gives me 3 full programs and most of the 4th program. I edit the 3 full programs to remove ads and delete the 4th uncomplete program.

This leaves me with 3 programs still to archive. Do I set the FR to 2 hours again and record the 3 remaining programs ?

Thanks

Stuart

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    At this point the easiest thing to do is get a fresh DVD-RAM and do the same exactly for the last 3 programmes.

Then import both discs and re-author on the PC as before.

It would be wise to over estimate the FR duration a little on each RAM to avoid exceeding the final DVD capacity.