Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic Flexible Record on DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by karl, Mar 22, 2003.

1. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just purchased a Panny E-50 recorder.

I am using it to archive old films off Sky+ and series - Taken & 24.

I use flexible record for films- great for example to maximise the quality of a 124 minute film - just set FR to 124 mins.

However, I am not sure how to do this for a series of programs to be recorded. For example 3 episodes of 24 - approx 45 mins each.

If I output one episode and set time to 45 mins it will record at max quality and almost fill the disc.

I suppose I could set FR to 2h15 but I would then have to manualy stop the recording after 45mins.

I could select all 3 episodes and output in one block set at FR of 2h15 mins. But I don`t think I can then edit a DVD-R to split the recording into the three episodes.

I could record 2 episodes at the SP setting (2hrs per disc) at then record the final episode on the remaing part of the disc but this would be at a lower quality to the others and I would like consistency across the disc if possible.

is it possible to set a timer recording for 45 mins with FR quality of 2h15 mins ? If you see what I mean.

Am I missing something or is the manual record the only way ?

Thanks

Karl

2. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "I suppose I could set FR to 2h15 but I would then have to manualy stop the recording after 45mins."
    Thats the way to do it. :)

3. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, and for the second episode you'd set the timer for 1hr30min and again manualy stop after 45mins. Then a FR of 45 mins for the last episode.
    Personaly I usualy put four sometimes five episodes on a disc and they still look good enough on my 42" tosh.
    Regards
    Paul.

4. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the way then.

A little fiddly - I`ll have to pay attention and not just leave it.

Thanks

5. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`ll stretch it to four episodes then.

Running on a 37" plasma or via Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector.

6. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You do have to be on the ball, especially if you're saving the series to watch later, I quite often forget and overshoot a few minutes. You still get all the episodes on but obviously overshooting is wasted space on the disc.
    If I were you I'd experiment to see how many episodes you put on a disc, our standards may vary, :D

Cheers
    Paul

7. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Personally I don't do more than three 45 min eps per disc. Ultimately it's what you can live with.:cool:

It's funny, but when i started using FR for series, I was working it out to the minute on a calculator.:D Since modern series minus adverts usually clock in at 42-43 minutes in length, I usually fit three eps a disc at a total of about 2hrs 9 minutes. Which still looks pretty good since it has just gone over the SP mode in duration.

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    more options on the direct record time length would have been very handy though and quite easy to impliment I would imagine