1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Flexible Record on DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by karl, Mar 22, 2003.

1. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just purchased a Panny E-50 recorder.

I am using it to archive old films off Sky+ and series - Taken & 24.

I use flexible record for films- great for example to maximise the quality of a 124 minute film - just set FR to 124 mins.

However, I am not sure how to do this for a series of programs to be recorded. For example 3 episodes of 24 - approx 45 mins each.

If I output one episode and set time to 45 mins it will record at max quality and almost fill the disc.

I suppose I could set FR to 2h15 but I would then have to manualy stop the recording after 45mins.

I could select all 3 episodes and output in one block set at FR of 2h15 mins. But I don`t think I can then edit a DVD-R to split the recording into the three episodes.

I could record 2 episodes at the SP setting (2hrs per disc) at then record the final episode on the remaing part of the disc but this would be at a lower quality to the others and I would like consistency across the disc if possible.

is it possible to set a timer recording for 45 mins with FR quality of 2h15 mins ? If you see what I mean.

Am I missing something or is the manual record the only way ?

Thanks

Karl

2. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "I suppose I could set FR to 2h15 but I would then have to manualy stop the recording after 45mins."
    Thats the way to do it. :)

3. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, and for the second episode you'd set the timer for 1hr30min and again manualy stop after 45mins. Then a FR of 45 mins for the last episode.
    Personaly I usualy put four sometimes five episodes on a disc and they still look good enough on my 42" tosh.
    Regards
    Paul.

4. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the way then.

A little fiddly - I`ll have to pay attention and not just leave it.

Thanks

5. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`ll stretch it to four episodes then.

Running on a 37" plasma or via Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector.

6. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You do have to be on the ball, especially if you're saving the series to watch later, I quite often forget and overshoot a few minutes. You still get all the episodes on but obviously overshooting is wasted space on the disc.
    If I were you I'd experiment to see how many episodes you put on a disc, our standards may vary, :D

Cheers
    Paul

7. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Personally I don't do more than three 45 min eps per disc. Ultimately it's what you can live with.:cool:

It's funny, but when i started using FR for series, I was working it out to the minute on a calculator.:D Since modern series minus adverts usually clock in at 42-43 minutes in length, I usually fit three eps a disc at a total of about 2hrs 9 minutes. Which still looks pretty good since it has just gone over the SP mode in duration.

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    more options on the direct record time length would have been very handy though and quite easy to impliment I would imagine