Panasonic Fan Noise?

jonjonjon

Established Member
Reaction score
Have decided to purchase one of the follwing Panasonic series, either:

Panasonic dmres20d
Panasonic dmreh50
Panasonic dmreh60d

Ideally I would choose the 60d, but this will be down to the opinions of this group, specifiacally regarding fan noise.

I know a lot of AV people aren't bothered by fan noise. However I must have super sensitive hearing, becasue it really annoys me, and I'd rather have a crappy dvd recorder that's fairly silent, than a blue ray, triple freeview tuner, hdmi 500gb beast that sounds like a jet fighter plane taking off.

So basically what are peoples opinions on the fan noise regarding the above Pannys, or maybe people reckon another brand is quieter.

I'd also be intersted in whether any of the 3 models above continually have the fan on, even in standby mode or when only wathcing a dvd.

I'm assuming that the Panasonic dmres20d will be the quietest, due to no hdd

Many thanks

Jon

On my DMREH50 the fan is a little quieter than the hard drive when listening with my ear right next to the unit.
Moving about 2 feet away I can't hear either of them
PS I may be old but my hearing is very good

My EH60D sits in the diagonally opposite corner of the room and we've a small house, so that's barely 12 feet away. It is far quieter than I expected - just as quiet as our last-year's-model DVD-only DMR-E55, and possibly more so. The fan never runs at all in standby, and isn't on full time when the recorder is powered up either. To me, it's a pretty quiet fan when running as well. The hard drive makes very little rotation noise (in the case of my unit, anyway) but emits quite regular brief "whispers" (only when recording or playing back though) - I've got sharp ears(!) and I certainly can't hear any of this when the TV is on.

What I do hear is largely only audible if I approach the recorder with the TV off or muted - only the HDD whispers travel further, and again only with no other sounds in the room to mask them.

And for the record, I just love having a hard drive - can't beat it for "watch and wipe" recording!

I had a dmreh50 and could not hear the fan. I've got a sony 510 now and the fan on this is noticeable.

If you can live without freeview & HDD then think about the Panny ES10, no fan in there

With the TV off you can hear something from the DVR 630.

Not sure if it is the HDD or the fan.

This is not very noticeable when the TV is on

I have a DMR-EH60D in the bedroom and sleep about two feet away from the recorder. The fan and HDD noise and very quiet and it doesn't dusturb my sleep when recording during the night.

However the unit does switch itself on every morning around 3am to download the Guideplus updates. I think it must take itself out of standby mode and does make a noise as the HDD spins up. This lasts for around 1 minute then the player shuts itself down again. I only found this out after coming in late one night and happended to see the machine perform its update ritual.

The DMR-EH60D is certainly quieter than my previous Pioneer DVR-220S.

Most interesting! I have an EH60D and haven't even thought about fan noise until I saw this thread! Must be very quiet then I suppose. Will go and stick my ear to it in a minute and see if I can hear it!! Certainly not audible from a few feet away otherwise I'd have noticed.

Ok, thanks for all the replies so far, due to the positive comments I’ve decided to purchase a HDD model, so it’s either the DMREH50 or the DMREH60D.

The 50 is on offer for £270 (all in) and it’s Multiregion and has 5 free Panasonic RAMs

The 60D is priced at £460 (all in) for region 2, it can be found cheaper at about £420, but is not in stock at this price.

The major differences appear to be:

Bigger HDD (by 120GB)
And obviously Freeview.

But what are the benefits of built in freeview, apart from the obvious (convenience when scheduling recording using the EPG, fewer boxes and scart connections).

Is the recorded picture better than say recording from a stand alone Sony freeview box

I’ve got Sky (not Sky+) and I’ll probably do most of my recording from that, so the freeview will just be for watching another channel. If money was no object then I’d go for the 60D, but an extra £150-180 seems a lot just for a bigger HD and built in freeview. Truth be told I do want the 60D, but I just need to justify the extra cost to myself and to the wife (what’s wrong with our VHS recorder :nono: ).

Jon

jonjonjon said:
Ok, thanks for all the replies so far, due to the positive comments I’ve decided to purchase a HDD model, so it’s either the DMREH50 or the DMREH60D.

The 50 is on offer for £270 (all in) and it’s Multiregion and has 5 free Panasonic RAMs

The 60D is priced at £460 (all in) for region 2, it can be found cheaper at about £420, but is not in stock at this price.

The major differences appear to be:

Bigger HDD (by 120GB)
And obviously Freeview.

But what are the benefits of built in freeview, apart from the obvious (convenience when scheduling recording using the EPG, fewer boxes and scart connections).

Is the recorded picture better than say recording from a stand alone Sony freeview box

I’ve got Sky (not Sky+) and I’ll probably do most of my recording from that, so the freeview will just be for watching another channel. If money was no object then I’d go for the 60D, but an extra £150-180 seems a lot just for a bigger HD and built in freeview. Truth be told I do want the 60D, but I just need to justify the extra cost to myself and to the wife (what’s wrong with our VHS recorder :nono: ).

Jon

If you reall want the 60D wait for another month or two when there should be lots of these recorders in stock and the web price should be below £400.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom