Question Panasonic EZ952 (55) or LGB7 (55)

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of threads of this type, so I apologise for creating another one. Here's my dilemma.

I currently have a 55 LG B7. It's sitting untouched in its box in my house. I got it about a week ago and haven't had a chance to set it up yet.

However, since then the Panasonic EZ952 has had a significant launch price drop, so cost is even less of a factor, and Richer Sounds have confirmed I can return the B7 to swap it for the 55 EZ952 (and I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks to get it).

I've decided I definitely don't want a Sony A1 (too many small issues, though no great ones, granted). So I'm now weighing up whether to make a swap.

I know there is a lot of talk and hyperbole. I've had Panny sets before, and loved them. Not had an LG. I also appreciate that, despite what some of the threads on here would have you believe, all the 2017 OLEDs will give you an amazing picture.

I've not had a chance to see the EZ952 in action, but I have seen some demos on the B7.

I'm wondering how much difference I will see in real terms between the sets. People criticise LG a lot for motion and near black, but my (limited) time with them suggests we're splitting hairs here. They're no slouches in either department, even if consensus seems to be that Sony and Panny are better.

Grateful for any thoughts, particularly from anyone who either owns one of the 7 series sets or who has properly demoed the Panasonic (I understand there is unlikely to be much difference between the 952 and 1002, except with sound, which I don't want included anyway).

Points for each:

LG
- excellent input lag (I'm a gamer; this is important to me)
- Dolby Vision
- great tone mapping / percentage DCI P3
- good ABL levels and custom compensation cycles
- good upscaling
- questions over near black and motion?

Panasonic:
- Great motion and near black
- great tone mapping and out of the box accuracy
- no Dolby Vision
- reference level SDR
- great upscaling
- great input lag

So what to do? I can't decide!

Help!

I think they (and the Sony A1) are all fantastic sets, so you're not going to make a mistake. I've only seen reviews of the higher-priced EZ1002 so it's not clear how similar the EZ952 will be to the EZ1002 so I'd wait for those. In terms of performance, I would add less posterisation (false contouring) to your benefits of the Panasonic over LG (although the Sony is slightly better).

I'm starting to lean towards the Panny, but it's very close!

That said, getting the Panny would solve one other problem: whether to hold out for a UHD player capable of DV (too many issues with Oppo and LG, Sony has no confirmation yet).

I'm starting to lean towards the Panny, but it's very close!

That said, getting the Panny would solve one other problem: whether to hold out for a UHD player capable of DV (too many issues with Oppo and LG, Sony has no confirmation yet).
I was told on another thread that Sony has confirmed no Dolby Vision.

Hard to decide without proper reviews. However I suggest you go an play with the top of the range oled and the ex750

Ignore absolute performance for the ex750 but notice the os, the handling of the Colors and upscaling plus also overall experience...

Not enough probably to make a decision but you will know if the pana little brother is made for you...I assume that it will sit between these two TVs in many ways

Note: lg tone mapping tracks all the range which may produce a darker picture. Some tweaking and dv should improve this (no TV is perfect when you barely hit 800 nits)

Well, I've ordered the EZ952 (after demo:ing a 1002) instead of a C7 (had a B6 until recently).

My choice is mainly based on the Panas class leading near-black performance, which I regard as OLEDs weak spot up until now. It also has a good motion interpolation system, which I think is important to mask the natural 24p judder that OLEDs really tend to highlight.

I also expect the Pana to avoid banding and speckling (for example in sky shots), which I know that the B7 still has (demo:ed it).

My choice is made easier, though, since I don't care about DV.

How do you work out that Panasonic Oled has better motion than the LG Oled? I have owned both previous Oleds from both manufacturer and motion was the same. I am not a gamer though but when I did put through a PS3 on my LG Oled motion was great. Didn't try it on the Panasonic though.

If I was you I would demo on as many sources as possible and make your own mind up. I bought the Panasonic Oled first generation based upon reviews not demo and regretted it.

I think they (and the Sony A1) are all fantastic sets, so you're not going to make a mistake. I've only seen reviews of the higher-priced EZ1002 so it's not clear how similar the EZ952 will be to the EZ1002 so I'd wait for those. In terms of performance, I would add less posterisation (false contouring) to your benefits of the Panasonic over LG (although the Sony is slightly better).
I agree there is not much in it. You can't really go wrong. Enjoy having demos.

Use google translate and read this..very telling on what you will expect on the little brother pana especially for upscaling and motion...
Test Panasonic EX780 (TX-58EX780E) : un TV LED 4K HDR pour cinéphiles

"The Panasonic TX-58EX780 offers a good overall quality of UHD 2160p scaling, whether it's Blu-ray movies and TV series, and to a lesser extent streaming video, processing circuitry Video HCX2 does a great job on processing HD sources."

This is more or less what I expect from the EZ952s scaler: excellent for good sources, not so good for bad sources. Just as the HCX+ chip in my UB900-player.

Would love if Pana could make an effort to reach the Sony-level of upscaling of bad sources, but it's apparently not happening this year either...

"The Panasonic TX-58EX780 offers a good overall quality of UHD 2160p scaling, whether it's Blu-ray movies and TV series, and to a lesser extent streaming video, processing circuitry Video HCX2 does a great job on processing HD sources."

This is more or less what I expect from the EZ952s scaler: excellent for good sources, not so good for bad sources. Just as the HCX+ chip in my UB900-player.

Would love if Pana could make an effort to reach the Sony-level of upscaling of bad sources, but it's apparently not happening this year either...

The French review translated by stating that upscaling is very good except for poor sd sources
For me, Sony and pana are equivalent there with a slight edge for Sony (but waiting for final review).
Sony just has that incredible "smooth graduation" which is a real PLUS for average sources

Going to be very hard like I said to choose between the two TVs...wait and see

The French review translated by stating that upscaling is very good except for poor sd sources
For me, Sony and pana are equivalent there with a slight edge for Sony (but waiting for final review).
Sony just has that incredible "smooth graduation" which is a real PLUS for average sources

Going to be very hard like I said to choose between the two TVs...wait and see

To me, bad source upscaling is more than just a slight thing. Still going for the EZ952 though, the A1 is not worth 950 pounds more to me...

To me, bad source upscaling is more than just a slight thing. Still going for the EZ952 though, the A1 is not worth 950 pounds more to me...
I think that you will be pleasantly surprised how good the pana will be

Of course it will be noticeably better than my broken LG B6, I already know that from my demo of the EZ1002 :) !

Of course it will be noticeably better than my broken LG B6, I already know that from my demo of the EZ1002 :) !
Can you remind me what impressed you most with pana please?

I've plumped for the EZ952 after days of agonising! Not an easy decision, but it's the promise of amazing near-black performance and smooth motion / posterisation that swayed me.

Richer Sounds said before the end of the month, but couldn't give a specific date.

I could only test some aspects, because of the light conditions. The most impressive stuff was BFI on 24p SDR sources and the overall picture that probably was the best I have ever seen.

I've ordered an EZ952 55" for my sitting room without seeing it as I am that confident. I have a Panasonic TX-P65VT65B plasma in my cinema room and I've still not seen anything to match it in HD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom