Panasonic EZ952 4K OLED TV owners and discussion thread

Decided to see what benefit interpolation brings to 24 fps film... looked at some moving camera shots from Forrest Gump on Netflix.

without the interpolation on one can clearly see the 'natural' judder of the 24fps material if you focus on the edges of the frame.

With interpolation at "min" immediately the motion all across the picture is smooth and fault-free.

I suppose none of this is very surprising but I found it an interesting experiment. Will be leaving the interpolation setting at 'min' for 24 fps viewing as I don't detect SOE with it at that level. perhaps my sensitivity is low ..

Great :)
When you do this testing with 24 fps film. Are you running your TV in pure 24 fps mode which means 1. no 3:2 pulldown of 24 fps to 60 fps. 2. no inverse telecline from 60 fps material to 24 fps.

Only at pure 5:5 pulldown which means 24 fps repeats by the TV computer to 120hz you have the pure film mode.
I hope you tested in this mode.

As suspected, the processor name change is simply that - a re-branding.

55 'have a much smaller problem with homogeneity than 65', but congratulations on a successful copy of the TV. Already after calibration? are you waiting 200-300h? What are your observations? Oled works better after 200-300 hours of work? I have such impressions ..., each of 7 pieces that I had so behaved ...

Below is my EZ1000E

Of course I'm going to calibrate by myself the panel but after 200 hours of aging (I have done just a rough 2P WB calibration for the time being) as Pana oleds go through three driving stages (A,B,C on the hours counter) and RGB and gamma tracking change. And in general it's better to age a little every oleds sets...

Considering your picture is at 5%, your panel seems quite good! :)

Of course I'm going to calibrate by myself the panel but after 200 hours of aging (I have done just a rough 2P WB calibration for the time being) as Pana oleds go through three driving stages (A,B,C on the hours counter) and RGB and gamma tracking change. And in general it's better to age a little every oleds sets...

Considering your picture is at 5%, your panel seems quite good! :)

Could you expand the topic of the voltage phases? Very interesting and would cover my observations as a layman :)

Yes, this panel is OK for 65 'and my earlier adventures with 6 LG screens in series E6 and E7 ...

I'm going to take a wild stab at Braveheart and Life of Pi but don't recognise the top one.

Great photos - what setup was used?

The top one was from a Pioneer blu ray demo, IIRC:

@ ~ 3 mins 20.

It’s nice to hear someone from the inside talk about the stutter issue and confirm they are working on it.

“HOPEFULLY we will have a fix soon”
Not exactly reassuring words.

“HOPEFULLY we will have a fix soon”
Not exactly reassuring words.
Diplomatic words, also the open acknowledgment means we have a come back if no fix is found. It’s a win win.
Admit it though, you miss the Panasonic don’t you?

However, Star Trek Discovery ( FHD with HDR) is a complete mess. It looks oversaturated, has colour noise and colour grain. I m not sure if the director intended that to happen. Skin tones also exhibit colour noise. Anyone else noticed this too?

Me too. ST Discovery in HDR is simply UNWATCHABLE. Very bad picture quality. :confused:

Last edited:
Diplomatic words, also the open acknowledgment means we have a come back if no fix is found. It’s a win win.
Admit it though, you miss the Panasonic don’t you?
It was a beautiful set, I loved it. However I couldn't live with the stutter and was sick of sending them back. I'm hoping Panasonic sort the issues out as I'm in the market for a 2018 model and would like to audition the 65FZ950 for our Garden Room along with the other manufacturers offerings later in the summer to replace my Panasonic 47wt50, which has been a cracker.

Last edited:
Appears to be brighter and more depth to the image.

It is indeed! ;)
Aging after the first 200 hours panels increases peak luminance by 3-4% with both SDR and HDR and gamma tracking is a little bit lower, mostly between 0 and 30 IRE.
I observed the same behavior in all sets I have calibrated.

It is indeed! ;)
Aging after the first 200 hours panels increases peak luminance by 3-4% with both SDR and HDR and gamma tracking is a little bit lower, mostly between 0 and 30 IRE.
I observed the same behavior in all sets I have calibrated.
My subjective impressions of my EZ were that the saturation of colours seemed to settle and the near black gamma seemed to lift. For my first 50 hours of use or so I had to have gamma at 2.3 otherwise the blacks seems crushed. Now it’s looks perfect at 2.4 gamma. Of course this could of been more my eyes/brain adapting but it’s nice to see you have measured what I perceived.

Sadly, mine is high. I see IFC smoothing even with a custom setting of just 1.

The same here, I cannot move from off otherwise I notice SOE immediately. :(

My subjective impressions of my EZ were that the saturation of colours seemed to settle and the near black gamma seemed to lift. For my first 50 hours of use or so I had to have gamma at 2.3 otherwise the blacks seems crushed. Now it’s looks perfect at 2.4 gamma. Of course this could of been more my eyes/brain adapting but it’s nice to see you have measured what I perceived.

Yes, saturations improve too. You are right with your feeling with better near black, but gamma tracking is not lifting, it's going down in order to have more details showed. ;)

Great :)
When you do this testing with 24 fps film. Are you running your TV in pure 24 fps mode which means 1. no 3:2 pulldown of 24 fps to 60 fps. 2. no inverse telecline from 60 fps material to 24 fps.

Only at pure 5:5 pulldown which means 24 fps repeats by the TV computer to 120hz you have the pure film mode.
I hope you tested in this mode.
How do I enable those settings

Yes, saturations improve too. You are right with your feeling with better near black, but gamma tracking is not lifting, it's going down in order to have more details showed. ;)

Hi thx75,

What was the software version did you have before and also you keep stating you have a 950 are you in another country?

Spoke to my dealer richersounds and the manager had a meeting with Panasonic purchasing manager and they state that the stuttering issue is still being worked on but no dates when this will be resolved. He is not very happy with there response and from the tone of things implies that they are not sure this can be fixed so I think this has now become a big issue for Richersounds and perhaps Panasonic are realising they screwed up big time.

He is going to get a bit more details but if this can’t be fixed then I’ll have no choice but return the TV and get it swap out for 2018 model assuming those have been fixed.

Do you think the partially discontinued ez1002 will come down in price from with the release of the 2018 models?
Contemplating on send my 65" 952 back whilst i can and maybe wait for the price to drop if it does.

Hi thx75,

What was the software version did you have before and also you keep stating you have a 950 are you in another country?

I had one of the earlier production set S/N 734xxxx mounting fw 3.142xxx200axxx. Yes, I'm from Italy... ;)

This bug is already fixed for my new set mounting 3.143 + 270b so I'm confident the latest release or even a newer one will be published soon or later. Of course it solves stutter on 25p contents just keeping IFC off.
Do you like to know my feeling? Panasonic is going to publish a fw update including that patch or a better one just once they will be ready to implement HDR10+ too. And that will happen not before March/April as far as I can say... but it's just speculation.

I had one of the earlier production set S/N 734xxxx mounting fw 3.142xxx200axxx. Yes, I'm from Italy... ;)

This bug is already fixed for my new set mounting 3.143 + 270b so I'm confident the latest release or even a newer one will be published soon or later. Of course it solves stutter on 25p contents just keeping IFC off.
Do you like to know my feeling? Panasonic is going to publish a fw update including that patch or a better one just once they will be ready to implement HDR10+ too. And that will happen not before March/April as far as I can say... but it's just speculation.

Yes makes sense it’s just keeping everyone in the dark is not very professional.

Yes, you are right, Panasonic should improve a lot from this point of view...

U fo
Yes makes sense it’s just keeping everyone in the dark is not very professional.
Unfortunately, the word that applies is ethical, because I think they are being business-like in their response, no doubt at recommendations of their legal team, which is therefore professional.

They are useless at software. It takes the TV 5 minutes to work out there is no update to the current firmware.

I'm pretty sure it's sending a fax in the background which is printed and read at the factory and then a response is transcribed into morse code which is sent back to the TV via a series of beacons.

90DCCFF4-732C-439D-BC0D-FDF564206739.jpeg

I’m still absolutely delighted with my 65 inch ez952. Thought I would try a you tube vertical banding test thing as a lot of you animals go on about banding an awful lot. Tv has done about 12 hours I guess (how do I find out how long exactly it’s been on??) is the amount of banding on mine considered amazing good, ok, bad or sloppy dog turd crap? I really have no idea but know I can’t see it when watching normal content. Let me know please!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom