Panasonic EZ952 4K OLED TV owners and discussion thread

dr no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we have a couple of owners now of these fantastic TVs
Please post all your owners thread discussion, bickering and trolling posts in here ;)

BF52E69A-2686-499C-A69A-53FBDA61F801-8721-00000BC4F103DF67.jpeg

2C37E671-EFBC-4DA7-AAC2-A5D486A6932D-8721-00000BC52B45839D.jpeg

59E661E0-BF59-4182-9387-546EF671A997-8721-00000BC5032BE424.png

66478C9C-385B-4C44-A0DB-A452B41D487D-8721-00000BC50A59EC4D.png

Last edited:
@Vipers, head over here with your findings please :)

@Vipers, head over here please with findings please :)
And @andryu180

Well guys, after a couple of hours of spent playing uncharted 4 on both zt60 and ez952 (hdr active), I have to admit that I'd never expected such a difference between the two sets: oled simply outperforms plasma in every aspect, and the gap is huge. Even intelligent frame creation is way better on oled than plasma, I could play with a pretty decent input lag with ifc at max level and getting a very close 60 fps experience, albeit with very minor artifacts and hiccups.

A short but necessary premise: my use of the tv is 60% pc gaming, 30% ps4 gaming, 10% movies - tv shows. Motion clarity is my only priority, i don't care about the creator intentions and if content is not 60fps or more, be it games, movies or tv shows, I set loose as many motion enhancements as possible to get the video as smoot as possible. I'm no expert at all, i honestly can't really tell the difference between noise, posterization or gradation but I can tell if I like it or not when I look at something.

So, the guy at the shop was kind enough to let me "play" with both tvs for around 30 minutes. I set the A1 on true cinema, with smooth gradation on high level and motionflow on fluid, while for the 952 I chose professional 1 mode and intelligent frame creation on max level. First I tried the latest episode of twin peaks (720 p) which is full of dark scenes and It didn't look good at all played via pc with vlc on my zt60 (a lot of - what I think is called - macroblocking). Well, results were incredibly better here on both sets, no macroblocking and way better upscaling than my plasma. I couldn't say which one looked better but both outperformed my plasma for sure. After twin peaks I played a 4k30fps hdr Horizon zero dawn video downloaded from the YouTube hdr channel. I can't say if hdr was really active but colors on A1 were more vibrant, maybe the whole image popped a bit more. Nonetheless, i much preferred the more soft and natural approach of Panasonic's colours. Finally i watched some soccer on sky and again the Panasonic to my eyes was better in both color and motion, it simply feels natural. In the end what primarily drove my decision was my perceived better motion on the Panasonic, everything else was of secondary importance. I don't care about Dolby vision, and saving €1000 will let me update sooner when ps5 is out in 2019-20 (when hdmi 2.1 with VRR will finally give console gaming the boost it deserves). A friend of mine was kind enough to lend me his ps4 to compare games simultaneously on ZT60 and EZ952, I'll let you know in the next few days. If you want me to try anything for you just ask and I'll try my best :)

Time to finish work early, going to be a fun evening :)

Hi guys, thanks to dr no for creating this thread and unknownuser for posting my old posts. Here's some more random thoughts about this beaty:

- For console gaming, compared to my ZT60 plasma (arguably the best plasma tv ever created) this EZ952 is on a whole different world, they're not even comparable. EZ952 is so much better in every aspect. I only comprared Uncharted 4, played simultaneously on both sets with hdr active on the EZ: Hdr+higher resolution is the real game changer to my eyes, I know I will never be able to play games anymore on my old plasma now that I've seen how they look on oleds in hdr.

- BFI is completely useless to me, especially if hdr is engaged because you lose a lot of brightness and gain little to zero motion enhancements. On the other hand IFC is superb, a lot more powerful than IFC on my plasma where every camera pan often resulted in a crush in resolution. Next days I'll experiment with custom IFC, up to now I only used max ifc.

- one the many reasons which led me to buy this over A1 is that I really want the approach Panasonic had to the market with this EZ952 to be a success, because in the future I'd like all manufacturers to produce at least one model of their tvs where the concentrate only on picture quality and do not charge us for fancy sound systems or premium frame materials, which most of us do not need.

Last edited:
Joining the owners club on Tuesday, got a great price match off Richer Sounds, £2,514.98 on the 55" EZ952.

I know it's not entirely analogous, but it's great to see that over the course of two or so years the prices has dropped significantly on the OLEDs. 2015 the LG 55EG960V was £3,500-£3,800 (I paid £3,500 for mine in March 2015) and now at launch the 55" EZ952 can be had for under £2,500. :D

I really hope this trend trickles into the 77" models too, the sooner they're under £10,000 the sooner I can think a little more seriously about them!

Joining the owners club on Tuesday, got a great price match off Richer Sounds, £2,514.98 on the 55" EZ952.
Great stuff - hope you're happy with it! I'm sure you will be. It seems this is the year OLED has really matured and been refined - I'm not seeing many problems reported on any of the owners' threads, for any manufacturer.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for not posting my thoughts sooner but haven't really had much time to enjoy my new 65EX952, shocking I know, but last night I had a couple of hours playing around with it.

For me I have been extremely happy with my Pioneer KRP 60" for over 6 years now, really hard to fault, even today, so the biggest compliment I can give the new Panny is that when watching standard material like Sky News etc the colour balance is very similar to my calibrated KRP, very natural skin tones and overall colour balance with deeper blacks obviously, more definition and definitely more brightness which I am really happy with, basically all I wanted was my KRP but with the ability to do 4K and HDR so the fact that it is better whilst retaining it's strength's means I am very happy.

But there is one major advantage, once I fed it a 4K signal from my OPPO UDP-205, OMG, what a picture, absolutely stunning, difficult to put into words really but needless to say I was straight onto Amazon to order some more 4K films.

I have been tempted by OLED for a couple of years now but I am really glad that I waited for this generation and in particular the Panasonic, I'm sure they are all good this year but the fact that the Panny has such accurate colours out of the box really helped with my decision, the Sony came close but I don't need the enhanced sound as I run a pretty decent sound system so in the end it was a no brainer.

Highly recommended :)

Great stuff - hope you're happy with it! I'm sure you will be. It seems this is the year OLED has really matured and been refined - I'm not seeing many problems reported on any of the owners' threads, for any manufacturer.

Don't speak too fast pleaaaaaase :)

Quest to owners: please check you panel using white or very light color content and see if one side of screen turns just a little bit reddish when watching from an angle. This is most apparent with color temp Warm2 in all picture modes in my set.

Similar report in the Sony thread so might be the LG panels.

Otherwise I would grade this 11 in the scale of 1 to 10. Especially all kind of motion (fast, slow, camera pans, scrolling text horizontal and vertical, people walking cross the screen - this is what I have tested so far) is excellent, and my previous tv was vt60 which was Reference class. I recommend experimenting with IFC custom.

Surprisingly though Panasonic has left the look of epg unchanged from their latest plasmas.
Thats great news and I appreciate the comments from ex Panasonic plasma owners! Going to read more about this one but it looks like my mind is made up...

Panny has such accurate colours out of the box
One of the main reason that probably my first try will be this Panasonic.

How is the OS? I've checked at Panasonic's website that they already released new firmware so they will probably keep the TV fresh or fix issues fast.

One of the main reason that probably my first try will be this Panasonic.

How is the OS? I've checked at Panasonic's website that they already released new firmware so they will probably keep the TV fresh or fix issues fast.

Yes the interface seemed OK, had to update the firmware before use but all worked fine, my first taste of a smart TV but all seems pretty slick.

The only thing I would say is that I like to use an Ethernet cable but once one is plugged in you can't attached the rear cover which sits over all the inputs which seems a bit of an oversight, I guess it you can buy slimline ethernet cables?

So guys, last night I played around with pc and ps4 and here's the report:

- I'm starting to suspect that these ez950s are equipped with a 2016 panel, for three reasons:
1. One of the very few differences between EZ1000 and EZ950 is that the latter is not as bright concerning hdr performance, and we all know that this year panels are brighter.

2. Some people reported the slight magenta tint on the EZ950; AFAIK no other 2017 Tv was reported to have been affected by that.

3. I cannot get a 1080p 120 Hz via pc even creating a custom resolution, and we already know that's possible on 2017 panels.

I could't get hdr to work on pc. I mean, I could get the hdr signal but couldn't get it to work with Netflix and YouTube. I don't have any games to try hdr right now. Besides, the Netflix app on the Tv is waaaaaay better than streaming Netflix via pc with its dedicated windows app. I watched an episode of 13 in UHD (don't know if it was Hdr too) and it was, in a word, stunning. Streaming it via pc the effect was not even close.

Yes the interface seemed OK, had to update the firmware before use but all worked fine, my first taste of a smart TV but all seems pretty slick.

The only thing I would say is that I like to use an Ethernet cable but once one is plugged in you can't attached the rear cover which sits over all the inputs which seems a bit of an oversight, I guess it you can buy slimline ethernet cables?
Good.
That's normal, with rear facing ports you can't use the cover. It's in the manual :)

Screenshot 2017-07-01 14.31.04.png

- I'm starting to suspect that these ez950s are equipped with a 2016 panel, for three reasons:
1. One of the very few differences between EZ1000 and EZ950 is that the latter is not as bright concerning hdr performance, and we all know that this year panels are brighter.

2. Some people reported the slight magenta tint on the EZ950; AFAIK no other 2017 Tv was reported to have been affected by that.

3. I cannot get a 1080p 120 Hz via pc even creating a custom resolution, and we already know that's possible on 2017 panels.

I could't get hdr to work on pc. I mean, I could get the hdr signal but couldn't get it to work with Netflix and YouTube. I don't have any games to try hdr right now. Besides, the Netflix app on the Tv is waaaaaay better than streaming Netflix via pc with its dedicated windows app. I watched an episode of 13 in UHD (don't know if it was Hdr too) and it was, in a word, stunning. Streaming it via pc the effect was not even close.

1. 755 nits was measured by the germans

2. They can use any filter on any panel. The filter type is not tied to the generation.

3. This is a real objection which could mean it's 2016 panel, interesting

I think you can't watch HDR in Netflix and YouTube on Windows

Normal mode - warm 2, I couldn't see any red tint on a completely white screen.

Hdr on pc I think it's still a big mess, not at all user friendly. I've ordered one of those rip-off 29g/s hdmi cable just to be 100% sure the 120hz and hdr things are not caused by poor cable quality. I'll let you know as soon as I get it

Normal mode - warm 2, I couldn't see any red tint on a completely white screen.

Hdr on pc I think it's still a big mess, not at all user friendly. I've ordered one of those rip-off 29g/s hdmi cable just to be 100% sure the 120hz and hdr things are not caused by poor cable quality. I'll let you know as soon as I get it
HDR is mess not just on PC, it's a mess everywhere, I mean the setup process is totally not user friendly when even AV forum members are having problems. I still don't know why you need to turn on high bandwidth

Speaking of this, have you used HDMI 1 or 2 and enabled full bandwidth for the port? Maybe that's why you can't select 120Hz

Use HDMI 1 or 2. Picture Settings-> Option Settings -> Game mode on-> Pure direct 1080p on after scroll down to HDMI RGB range and select full or auto, normal doesn't give full bandwidth

Last edited:
HDR is mess not just on PC, it's a mess everywhere, I mean the setup process is totally not user friendly when even AV forum members are having problems. I still don't know why you need to turn on high bandwidth

Speaking of this, have you used HDMI 1 or 2 and enabled full bandwidth for the port? Maybe that's why you can't select 120Hz

Use HDMI 1 or 2. Picture Settings-> Option Settings -> Game mode on-> Pure direct 1080p on after scroll down to HDMI RGB range and select full or auto, normal doesn't give full bandwidth
I did as you said but nope, no results. It may be the cable though, quite old. On nvidia colour settings I set rgb, full, 12 bit. On custom resolution I set 1920, 1080, 120 Hz and left untouched everything else. On console the hdr overall experience is a lot better, the console asks you if you wish to switch to hdr whenever it detects an hdr signal and that's it. Results vary from game to game but in general hdr is so freaking good. I can't imagine what we will achieve when we finally have 12bit panels and hdr+ or Dolby vision. Oooh, it will be beautiful :)

I did as you said but nope, no results. It may be the cable though, quite old. On nvidia colour settings I set rgb, full, 12 bit. On custom resolution I set 1920, 1080, 120 Hz and left untouched everything else. On console the hdr overall experience is a lot better, the console asks you if you wish to switch to hdr whenever it detects an hdr signal and that's it. Results vary from game to game but in general hdr is so freaking good. I can't imagine what we will achieve when we finally have 12bit panels and hdr+ or Dolby vision. Oooh, it will be beautiful :)
All the 2017 panel characteristics are present with this TV so don't worry, it's 2017 panel.
Close up shot of the pixels also confirmed that the panel is identical to the LG 7 series.
It could be the cable or simple Panasonic doesn't allow to run at 120Hz. Is BFI off right? With BFI you can't use 120Hz on the Sony

IMG_9293.PNG
IMG_9292.JPG

Your post sir disturbed me highly and got me thinking plus doing a full review. Below are my observations:

1. Uk review highlighted a significant lower nits on pana versus all competition. No one is wondering why ? Same panels but such a difference of brightness ? (Ignore top end with coating)

2. Not a single uk review went at pixel level to check the panels. The French did and it was confirmed 2017 oled panel

3. German and French reviews are measuring the same high nits as Sony and lg. not the same for Steve and Vincent reviews (my reference uk reviewer both measuring around 660nits peak at 10 percent window. French measured 617 vs 697 for Sony but they don't specificy the window (looks bigger than 10 percent for me, see pics) German review playing in the 750-800nits apparently but I need to double check)

4. A serious magenta purple tint was reported and you can see it in the attached picture from a forum friend.

5. @andryu180 reported the points above and the 3rd one is disturbing

Let's look at this logically before any conclusions. To me, possible uk panels are affected for a reason I ignore

So only way to be sure is:
1. Can all owners check the tint color please on the baby pana
2. Can you please also check that we can get 1080p 120hz please.
3. Anything you think of that could explain my previous observations

Before you shoot me, can I clearly state that I LOVE THE PANA but disturbed by this.

Last edited:
1. Uk review highlighted a significant lower nits on pana versus all competition.
This site measured 680 nits for thr 55B7, 620nits for the 55EZ950, 640 nits for the EZ1000 and 685nits for the 65A1. I don't think that it's significant.

You can't say it's 2016 just because it can't do 120Hz, filter is not proving anything as well.

All the other 2017 OLED improvements are noticeable on this TV as well, how they did it with 2016 panels? or why does it matter if it's just as good as the other 2017 OLEDs?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom