Panasonic EZ952 4K OLED TV owners and discussion thread

Rudzki

Can you provide any links to back that up please? I can't find anything to substantiate that one any of JL's T&Cs, but there are plenty of sites talking about JL warranties that basically say the same as this quote from Money Saving Expert:

"Under John Lewis's guarantee, it will fix or replace an item providing there is no evidence of misuse or accident.

If your product is replaced within the guarantee period, the guarantee isn't renewed, but instead continues to apply from the date you bought the original item."

I can't believe any retailer would operate a scheme that restarted a warranty from the top if they had to replace an item after a claim.
If you accept their 'like for like' suggestion the warranty will transfer. If you upgrade (even if you put so much as a penny towards a new set) it is classed as a new sale with a new warranty.

JimBobRude

If you accept their 'like for like' suggestion the warranty will transfer. If you upgrade (even if you put so much as a penny towards a new set) it is classed as a new sale with a new warranty.
This is exactly what’s happened with my recent warranty Claim on a 4.5 year old lcd. They offered £1400 and I contributed £400 to get a 65GZ. I’ve got a fresh 5 year guarantee.

Wow. I'm amazed. Sorry for doubting you! I can see why that happens if you hand over any money towards the replacement.

(Goes off and finalises scam to get a new TV every five years from JL)

Last edited:

Matty fitz

Standard Member
Engineer came out was there 5 mins if that and told me what I already knew that the panel needs replacing, maintenance panel burn. He didn’t take the tv away, told me if they can get hold of a panel they will come out and fit it at my house, if they can’t get a panel, I will be offered a new tv. See what happens when they get back to me.

button_sw

Engineer came out was there 5 mins if that and told me what I already knew that the panel needs replacing, maintenance panel burn. He didn’t take the tv away, told me if they can get hold of a panel they will come out and fit it at my house, if they can’t get a panel, I will be offered a new tv. See what happens when they get back to me.
That's exactly what they did with my 1st panel replacement, the repair company replaced it in my living room and it only took an hour. The panels are definitely in stock as John Lewis were going for the repair on my 2nd screen problem.

I have an update on my EZ and John Lewis.......

button_sw

Okay, good news on my battle with John Lewis regarding my EZ952 needing a new panel....

...after a lot of faffing about and escalations they have offered me a full refund on purchase price as cash or as money to go towards a new TV :thumbsup:

To cut a long story short, they decided to go ahead with the repair even without my acceptance and at every point and phone call categorically stating that I'm not accepting a repair again. They ordered the part from Panasonic Directly at a cost of £1300 and it was currently being shipped!

The escalated customer relation manager phoned me yesterday and offered my a full refund on purchase price which I accepted, but.....

....I got a phone call back this morning stating that they can't cancel the order of the panel from Panasonic and that they are sorry but now going ahead with the repair once more. I was livid (but calm on the phone) and stated that they have already offered me a full refund and I accepted it. They said that there's no other option now so I informed them that I might have no option but to go to the small claims court. I did not threaten JL with court but the CR Manager then said that she would check with their legal team to see if they have done anything wrong. A couple of hours later and she phones my back stating that they can cancel the order of the panel and then confirmed that I would be receiving a full refund.

They also confirmed that they would look into reimbursing me some of the money I've lost on repeat calibrations due to the panel fault and the need to calibrate again on a new panel, so in the end a good resolution but it should of been like this from the get go.

My dilemma now is that I've lost confidence and faith in the longevity of OLED TV's

Have I just been unlucky or should I look at the LCD FALD option? I know no TV is perfect but as an owner of two Pioneer Kuro 500A's that are both in their 12th year of service and as good as ever I'm bitterly disappointed with the reliability of OLED.

I'm looking at the GZ950 as a possible OLED replacement or the Sony XH950 as a different tech alternative.

Your opinions are very much appreciated

Michae1

Since a couple of days I have the following issue with my tv: When I switch to the youtube app, the youtube logo is first shown for a bit longer than I would expect, and then I suddenly get garbled sound out of my speakers, as if some digital signal is being sent straight to my speakers without being decoded first. If I then play a clip, switch back to regular TV or a previous recording, all sound stays garbled on all the outputs (headphone, optical out). On my headphones I got the impression I could actually here the original sound of the program softly through all the digital noise. Then after a minute or so, it suddenly stops and the sound is all normal again. Not sure if it's only youtube but that is when it typically happens. As if the app messes up the sound processing of the tv during it's startup. Anyone experienced this as well?

Teej71

Standard Member
Has anyone bought one of the new 4K Freesat recorders for this tv, by any chance,& also had the tv read the signal as hdr? Can’t fix it...every single viewing mode has turned to hdr, so everything looks overblown & bright now
Returned it, sadly, due to this fault. Don’t suppose therefore, anyone knows how to manually tune in satellite channels - as the built in Freesat doesn’t have channels like Freesport, CNBC, or C4 in hd...wheras my wife’s 55’ FZ annoyingly does, since isn’t tied to the Freesat epg?

Jase

Distinguished Member
Returned it, sadly, due to this fault. Don’t suppose therefore, anyone knows how to manually tune in satellite channels - as the built in Freesat doesn’t have channels like Freesport, CNBC, or C4 in hd...wheras my wife’s 55’ FZ annoyingly does, since isn’t tied to the Freesat epg?
There's the Other Sat. option. Press the TV button on the remote and a small screen will pop up that says TV Selection with Freesat, DVB (Freeview) and Other Sat.

Each press of the TV button will cycle through the choices. Once Other Sat. is selected press the Menu button on the remote and go to Set up - Other Sat Tuning Menu and select Auto Setup or Manual Tuning.

C4HD (CH 281), CNBC HD (CH 431) and Freesports HD (CH 333) are all in there on mine.

Teej71

Standard Member
There's the Other Sat. option. Press the TV button on the remote and a small screen will pop up that says TV Selection with Freesat, DVB (Freeview) and Other Sat.

Each press of the TV button will cycle through the choices. Once Other Sat. is selected press the Menu button on the remote and go to Set up - Other Sat Tuning Menu and select Auto Setup or Manual Tuning.

C4HD (CH 281), CNBC HD (CH 431) and Freesports HD (CH 333) are all in there on mine.
Cheers for the reply. I’d read that somewhere recently, but my tv (65’ Ez952 the U.K. version), shows analogue, instead of other satellite?...

Attachments

Jase

Distinguished Member
Cheers for the reply. I’d read that somewhere recently, but my tv (65’ Ez952 the U.K. version), shows analogue, instead of other satellite?...
If you press Down or the TV button again does Other Sat. appear or does it just go straight back to Freesat?

The manual shows what options should be there.

Attachments

Teej71

Standard Member
Ignore me - I found deep in the settings how to add ‘other sat’ as a tv option ...3 years of frustration over hopefully - although my next problem now is it took 20 mins to find 400 channels, but only saved 26.Arrggh

Last edited:

Jase

Distinguished Member
Ignore me - I found deep in the settings how to add ‘other sat’ as a tv option ...3 years of frustration over hopefully ! (Ie no idea if can buy something to easily record yet)...
No worries. Hope it's now frustration free. :smashin:

Teej71

Standard Member
No worries. Hope it's now frustration free. :smashin:
Well I’ve just spent the last 90 mins down wrong alleyways/retuning etc., to figure out why wasn’t getting all the channels, but I finally there!

Ps...I presume I can now buy a usb with external power,& record from ‘other satellite’?

Last edited:

Jase

Distinguished Member
I presume I can now buy a usb with external power,& record from ‘other satellite’?
I don't record anything but Posts #6 and #8 in the thread link below may help. :)

Teej71

Standard Member
I don't record anything but Posts #6 and #8 in the thread link below may help. :)

Thanks - I ordered the drive before reading that - fortunately I was too tight to pay for the 6tb version- who’d have guessed that had to be 4tb or less! Me being the odd combination of a former Canadian cricketer,& British Ice hockey player - losing Freesports hd on Freesat was gutting - hopefully fixed now!

Jase

Distinguished Member
It's a bit frustrating when Freesat remove HD channels. More so when there isn't a lot of them in the first place.

Teej71

Standard Member
It's a bit frustrating when Freesat remove HD channels. More so when there isn't a lot of them in the first place.
Can’t see the trend ever reversing , due to their fees,& the fact that many channel viewers are streaming,& not bothered about getting the best pic & sound quality possible...which is why I’d be surprised if ever in my lifetime (I 49) will ever need to upgrade this tv- won’t be 8k tv or blu rays for many many decades imo, apart from 8k Netflix which will have a bit rate similar to a 1080p Blu-ray ...

Last edited:

Jase

Distinguished Member
Can’t see the trend ever reversing , due to their fees,& the fact that many channel viewers are streaming,& not bothered about getting the best pic & sound quality possible...which is why I’d be surprised if ever in my lifetime (I 49) will ever need to upgrade this tv- won’t be 8k tv or blu rays for many many decades imo, apart from 8k Netflix which will have a bit rate similar to a 1080p Blu-ray ...
I tend to keep my TV's until they break or there's a significant jump in quality to tempt me. Having said that, 8K doesn't really appeal to me and we're still waiting for BT to pull their fingers out and give us a connection faster than 2mb so we're able to get 4K Netflix.

Would be nice to see some 4K satellite channels appear on Freesat but I'm not holding my breath.

Matty fitz

Standard Member
Okay, good news on my battle with John Lewis regarding my EZ952 needing a new panel....

...after a lot of faffing about and escalations they have offered me a full refund on purchase price as cash or as money to go towards a new TV :thumbsup:

To cut a long story short, they decided to go ahead with the repair even without my acceptance and at every point and phone call categorically stating that I'm not accepting a repair again. They ordered the part from Panasonic Directly at a cost of £1300 and it was currently being shipped!

The escalated customer relation manager phoned me yesterday and offered my a full refund on purchase price which I accepted, but.....

....I got a phone call back this morning stating that they can't cancel the order of the panel from Panasonic and that they are sorry but now going ahead with the repair once more. I was livid (but calm on the phone) and stated that they have already offered me a full refund and I accepted it. They said that there's no other option now so I informed them that I might have no option but to go to the small claims court. I did not threaten JL with court but the CR Manager then said that she would check with their legal team to see if they have done anything wrong. A couple of hours later and she phones my back stating that they can cancel the order of the panel and then confirmed that I would be receiving a full refund.

They also confirmed that they would look into reimbursing me some of the money I've lost on repeat calibrations due to the panel fault and the need to calibrate again on a new panel, so in the end a good resolution but it should of been like this from the get go.

My dilemma now is that I've lost confidence and faith in the longevity of OLED TV's

Have I just been unlucky or should I look at the LCD FALD option? I know no TV is perfect but as an owner of two Pioneer Kuro 500A's that are both in their 12th year of service and as good as ever I'm bitterly disappointed with the reliability of OLED.

I'm looking at the GZ950 as a possible OLED replacement or the Sony XH950 as a different tech alternative.

Your opinions are very much appreciated
Repair centre rang me, new panel ready to be fitted in 2 weeks, only took them a week to come out diagnose the fault and find a new panel. See how long this one last.

button_sw

Repair centre rang me, new panel ready to be fitted in 2 weeks, only took them a week to come out diagnose the fault and find a new panel. See how long this one last.
Keep a close eye on it over the next 12 months, my crosshatch style banding was noticeable in content on the 2nd panel. Also the white balance was noticeably bluer even in warm 2 preset on the 2nd one. It need a 13 click reduction in high blue, the first panel didn't need any!

I've now ordered a 65" Sony XH950 so have gone from an OLED to LCD FALD technology! Hope I don't regret it 🤞

Good luck with the replacement panel 👍

cobaltqube

Keep a close eye on it over the next 12 months, my crosshatch style banding was noticeable in content on the 2nd panel. Also the white balance was noticeably bluer even in warm 2 preset on the 2nd one. It need a 13 click reduction in high blue, the first panel didn't need any!

I've now ordered a 65" Sony XH950 so have gone from an OLED to LCD FALD technology! Hope I don't regret it 🤞

Good luck with the replacement panel 👍
Please let us know of your experience/impressions of the shift from OLED to a FALD LCD when you have it! 👍🏻

cobaltqube

Bit of a general question here.. Still rocking the 65” EZ, but have recently wondered about Dolby Vision.. Would the cost of an upgrade to a newer set with DV be worth it? Not seen DV in action before, only HDR10. Has anyone here upgraded from an EZ to a GZ for example, and what were the impressions of DV coming from an HDR10-only set?

Thanks, and glad this thread is still very much alive!

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Bit of a general question here.. Still rocking the 65” EZ, but have recently wondered about Dolby Vision.. Would the cost of an upgrade to a newer set with DV be worth it? Not seen DV in action before, only HDR10. Has anyone here upgraded from an EZ to a GZ for example, and what were the impressions of DV coming from an HDR10-only set?

Thanks, and glad this thread is still very much alive!
I can't tell you yet but I will be able to when the Pana 450 turns up...