Panasonic EZ952 4K OLED TV owners and discussion thread

Clemery76

Standard Member
If you turn IFC on then it will cause soap opera effect. Also it will cause stutter. I would recommend turning it off.

I know it's uncommon, but I LOVE the soap opera effect! The Panny does it well, but does have a few niggling issues (not just stutter) so I'm looking to make SOE the best it can be.

As for my love of SOE, I am fully converted and totally unapologetic!

Clemery76

Standard Member
In think tv reviewers got a bit carried away with the A1 slopey screen but as with the novelty of curved screens people began to realise it is not really of any practical use and most people want screens which are flat and vertical!

This is true... I do prefer having the screen flat like normal, and the sloped screen was a concern before buying the A1. But I did use the Sony for nearly two weeks and I must admit that I barely noticed the angle and I do commend Sony for their design.

Its certainly not a reason to buy the Sony, but its is not big enough a problem to avoid buying it.

That said, I much prefer my Panasonic for both picture and SOE.

Andrew Lau

This is true... I do prefer having the screen flat like normal, and the sloped screen was a concern before buying the A1. But I did use the Sony for nearly two weeks and I must admit that I barely noticed the angle and I do commend Sony for their design.

Its certainly not a reason to buy the Sony, but its is not big enough a problem to avoid buying it.

That said, I much prefer my Panasonic for both picture and SOE.

Very interesting to hear that the Sony was not as good at interpolation/picture... In what particular ways would you say the panasonic is better? Up to now I assumed that both wld be neck and neck, and that the sony's chief fault was its price

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Not sure that makes what I said any less true ;)

In no surprise at all, Britannia on Sky is an absolute stutterfest (looks fantastic in 4k when game mode is on though)

That cloud sequence in blue planet 2 episode 3 that Jim refuses to look at [emoji6] is perfect on 4k Blu-ray at 24Hz.
Told you before - I watched Blue Planet 2 and didnt see any trouble at all (via red button).

choddo

I know it's uncommon, but I LOVE the soap opera effect! The Panny does it well, but does have a few niggling issues (not just stutter) so I'm looking to make SOE the best it can be.

As for my love of SOE, I am fully converted and totally unapologetic!

Get ‘im lads!

While I like the idea of higher frame rates (spending your 20s trying to get the highest frame rate possible on Quake2 and Unreal can do that to a man) - the big problem with SOE for me, and it was true on 48Hz Hobbit as well, is how it makes everything look like it’s running too fast. I don’t know why that is. What’s the accepted wisdom on that?

I tried Logan with IFC the other day. It worked fine on the Panny on Min but it’s just so strange. The “cheap TV camcorder” side-effect is a factor too of course.

choddo

Told you before - I watched Blue Planet 2 and didnt see any trouble at all (via red button).

Some parts of BP2 were fine. Some stutters were subtle. Some were terrible.

Even if you didn’t notice it at the time, can you deny how particularly awful that cloud scene was that I posted from episode 3? Was the skip every 4 frames seriously not obvious to you? Via Sky (sans game mode) or iPlayer it was the same. And my TV is the same as yours down to the firmware.

For the avoidance of doubt, and sorry to clog up the thread with the same inline video, I’m talking about this horror show;

^^ Certainly on my old 2010 Panny plasma, the perceived wisdom was that IFC was always running at 60Hz, so when you applied it to a 50Hz input it had to do some very weird frame mangling, a side effect of which was the odd 'speed up' effect.

MultiRoom

Get ‘im lads!

While I like the idea of higher frame rates (spending your 20s trying to get the highest frame rate possible on Quake2 and Unreal can do that to a man) - the big problem with SOE for me, and it was true on 48Hz Hobbit as well, is how it makes everything look like it’s running too fast. I don’t know why that is. What’s the accepted wisdom on that?

I tried Logan with IFC the other day. It worked fine on the Panny on Min but it’s just so strange. The “cheap TV camcorder” side-effect is a factor too of course.
I use custom film smooth on 2 or 3 and blur reduction off. In that way you don't get SOE but you do get a reduction in the horrible and jarring judder that OLED TVs exaggerate. Shame about the stutter that randomly appears.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Some parts of BP2 were fine. Some stutters were subtle. Some were terrible.

Even if you didn’t notice it at the time, can you deny how particularly awful that cloud scene was that I posted from episode 3? Was the skip every 4 frames seriously not obvious to you? Via Sky (sans game mode) or iPlayer it was the same. And my TV is the same as yours down to the firmware.

For the avoidance of doubt, and sorry to clog up the thread with the same inline video, I’m talking about this horror show;
Ill try and look later if I can. Thing is, I dont go looking for problems usually. Im not saying there is no stutter - there is - but I really dont notice it much on internal tuners and never on HDMI inputs.

Clemery76

Standard Member
Very interesting to hear that the Sony was not as good at interpolation/picture... In what particular ways would you say the panasonic is better?

From day one I was disappointed with Sony's interpolation. An update helped clear up a lot of haloing and break up, but there was this horrid judder that I'd regularly notice when people moved, and affected pretty much every shot. Vertical movement was worse. I found that I couldn't enjoy watching anything on it and it had to change.
Using some test scenes that I was having trouble with, and my own media player, the Panasonic handled them all much better, and the LG was similar to the Sony, so my choice was made.
A week in with my Panny, there are definitely issues with interpolation, but less frequent and obvious than the Sony and I am overall enjoying watching content on it.
That said, I sure do hope this fabled update brings some improvements! :)

the big problem with SOE for me, and it was true on 48Hz Hobbit as well, is how it makes everything look like it’s running too fast. I don’t know why that is. What’s the accepted wisdom on that?

For me, it just took a period of adjustment. It certainly looks different to normal film (alrhough i think soap opera effect is misleading, as its not quite the same). I just kept reminding myself that it was an expensive blockbuster, and pretty soon I just started seeing a much more natural and realistic image.
Obviously I'm in the minority though! :)

dedics

When somebody says they prefer watching with IFC on (and would really like it to work better without stuttering, and ask for advice about the best IFC setting) it's not helpful for people to reply "turn that crappy IFC off" -- what they're basically saying is "my opinion is far superior to yours, you should like what I do because it's obviously better".

How would the "film like the producer intended" fans who keep using the deliberately derogatory phrase "soap opera effect" like it if people who prefer IFC accused them of being stupid dinosaurs because they like "jerky hundred-year-old celluloid film effect"?

So let's keep discussions civil and helpful when somebody asks for advice, even if what they're looking for isn't what some other people think is "the best" -- because in the end it's all down to personal opinion and preferences.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
When somebody says they prefer watching with IFC on (and would really like it to work better without stuttering, and ask for advice about the best IFC setting) it's not helpful for people to reply "turn that crappy IFC off" -- what they're basically saying is "my opinion is far superior to yours, you should like what I do because it's obviously better".

How would the "film like the producer intended" fans who keep using the deliberately derogatory phrase "soap opera effect" like it if people who prefer IFC accused them of being stupid dinosaurs because they like "jerky hundred-year-old celluloid film effect"?

So let's keep discussions civil and helpful when somebody asks for advice, even if what they're looking for isn't what some other people think is "the best" -- because in the end it's all down to personal opinion and preferences.
Quite agree. Along with comments directed to me along the lines of 'if you dont do this test on this specific scene we dont believe anything you say...' [emoji6]

I should also point out that I have better than 20/20 vision and dont wear contacts or glasses, rose-tinted or otherwise! [emoji4]

choddo

I didn’t say that about IFC. I think the partway fix in 276 firmware isn’t enough until they make it work with IFC on. But I also think you’ll never get IFC completely free of flaws. It’s always going to be tripped up by something.

But I did say that you implying there’s not a significant stutter with native framerate stuff, when there clearly is, is a problem because people base purchasing decisions on what they’re told by existing owners.

And I’m only asking about that specific scene because it’s the kind of content you said you watch and it’s so blatant that I’m hoping it will change your view on whether the TV is really fit for purpose as it stands.

scrowe

But I did say that you implying there’s not a significant stutter with native framerate stuff, when there clearly is, is a problem because people base purchasing decisions on what they’re told by existing owners.
With due respect, who are you to say Jim's experience as a typical owner isn't the experience that a majority of other owners will experience. Sensitivity to the issue is not only highly subjective to the individual, but extremely linked to the type of content, input source of content, and combinations of picture settings they may or may not opt to change to their own desires.

TvFan888

Has anyone here compared 'thx' versus 'pro1'? (assuming all additional image processing options are turned off).

On my previous panny plasma tv's i used thx and i currently use pro1/2 on the ez.

Last edited:

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
I didn’t say that about IFC. I think the partway fix in 276 firmware isn’t enough until they make it work with IFC on. But I also think you’ll never get IFC completely free of flaws. It’s always going to be tripped up by something.

And I’m only asking about that specific scene because it’s the kind of content you said you watch and it’s so blatant that I’m hoping it will change your view on whether the TV is really fit for purpose as it stands.
I keep saying it. Im just not seeing it in daily use with HDMI devices. Game mode off. IFC off. Not once since I bought it.

Netflix - dont know because I dont subscribe at present (not enough time).

Internal tuners - yes but very sporadic. Ill see it a few times on one program say and then not at all for days.

rik81h

ARC pass-through DTS (not DTS HD-MA) starting from fw 3.143. ;)
Ah excellent, any idea when roll out will be complete for that? I'm still on 3.142.

Also has anyone watched this weeks Grand Tour yet? It won't present in HDR! Have Prime changed to 10+ already in the UK and is this the reason why?

Piosonic

Noticed my 952 still has orange led on this morning, panel maintenance doesn’t take that long.. any ideas ?
That happens if you have tv remote, tv anywhere or dlna or some other network settings on. Try setting all of them off first and see what happens. Maybe Panasonic wants to remind you of open lines that way.

Piosonic

Haven't searched the thread, but does anyone enjoy using full motion interpolation (Intelligent Frame Creation Film Smooth 10)?
If so, do you recommend any particular settings to minimise any side effects?
The Panny is definitely pretty good in this area (and far superior to both Sony and LG OLEDs in my experience), but there are a occasional issues that can be very distracting (compared to my former Sharp tv) and hoping to find a nice sweet spot while we wait for this update.
It seems to struggle with areas of high contrast so thought maybe the issues could be softened by ruining it down a little. The Derry hasn't been calibrated yet as I haven't quite hour 100 hours yet, but looking forward to giving it a crack with my humble ColorMonki next week.

Can anyone explain what the de-blur option actually does? I have tested many scenes with it at min and max and can't see any discernable difference.

Also, what's the point of Clear Mode? Who could tolerate that flicker? It kinda defeats the purpose.

Thanks in advance!
Not quite full, but custom blur 7/ film smooth 7. These settings eliminate blur and jerky motion with some material without having negative side effects to my eyes. Yes I know some see soap opera. But I also don't think any film producer's intention was to show strobe kind of walking or jumpy pans.

Piosonic

I use custom film smooth on 2 or 3 and blur reduction off. In that way you don't get SOE but you do get a reduction in the horrible and jarring judder that OLED TVs exaggerate. Shame about the stutter that randomly appears.
W T f is the difference Btw judder and stutter ( not native speaker so this is still little unclear despite following the thread). Somebody named it shutter even.

agentp1

Standard Member
Internal Amazon app has stopped switching to HDR mode on 4k. Was working fine at xmas... anyone else had issue? internal netflix is fine - I've got one of the original sets with the 200a release.

Clemery76

Standard Member

Hahaha... thanks for the support there, but in all fairness I didn't feel like I was being spoken down to, and appreciated TvFan888's prompt reply and he did offer a few suggestions.

But yeah... my goal is to get great SOE, because that's the type of image I enjoy these days. I don't give any credence to the "filmmaker's intent" argument since most directors just want to get their film made and don't have the luxury to demand a studio release a film in HFR since the entire industry is still stuck in this 24fps mindset. A few directors are indeed trying to push for a change (James Cameron, Ang Lee, Peter Jackson), but they face so many challenges in this regard that I doubt we'll ever see a change in my lifetime. So I have to rely on SOE to get that look.

At the end of the day, it's my preference and as a dedicated cinephile my entire life (I'm 41 now), I am simply amazed at how old movies feel new again with SOE enabled. I definitely agree that SOE is a bit of a slanderous term, but I am so used to it now from all the casually dismissive comments from around the internet that it just didn't bother me. I know I'm in the minority and don't care.
And it must be said that so far, the people in this thread seem much more respectful than any other forum or group that I have discussed this in, so please keep it up! :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Falcon Acoustics launches Q7 speaker kit
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches React soundbar with Alexa
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Dolby honoured by National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
  • By Andy Bassett