Panasonic EZ952 4K OLED TV owners and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by dr no, Jun 30, 2017.

1. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,340
      I think we have a couple of owners now of these fantastic TVs
      Please post all your owners thread discussion, bickering and trolling posts in here ;)

BF52E69A-2686-499C-A69A-53FBDA61F801-8721-00000BC4F103DF67.jpeg
      2C37E671-EFBC-4DA7-AAC2-A5D486A6932D-8721-00000BC52B45839D.jpeg
      59E661E0-BF59-4182-9387-546EF671A997-8721-00000BC5032BE424.png
      66478C9C-385B-4C44-A0DB-A452B41D487D-8721-00000BC50A59EC4D.png

• Like Like x 3
      • Thanks Thanks x 3
      • List
      Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    2. Har-One

Har-One

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,712
      :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

3. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,340
      @Vipers, head over here with your findings please :)

4. unknownuser0001

unknownuser0001

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +458
      And @andryu180

5. andryu180

andryu180

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +65
      Hi guys, thanks to dr no for creating this thread and unknownuser for posting my old posts. Here's some more random thoughts about this beaty:

- For console gaming, compared to my ZT60 plasma (arguably the best plasma tv ever created) this EZ952 is on a whole different world, they're not even comparable. EZ952 is so much better in every aspect. I only comprared Uncharted 4, played simultaneously on both sets with hdr active on the EZ: Hdr+higher resolution is the real game changer to my eyes, I know I will never be able to play games anymore on my old plasma now that I've seen how they look on oleds in hdr.

- BFI is completely useless to me, especially if hdr is engaged because you lose a lot of brightness and gain little to zero motion enhancements. On the other hand IFC is superb, a lot more powerful than IFC on my plasma where every camera pan often resulted in a crush in resolution. Next days I'll experiment with custom IFC, up to now I only used max ifc.

- one the many reasons which led me to buy this over A1 is that I really want the approach Panasonic had to the market with this EZ952 to be a success, because in the future I'd like all manufacturers to produce at least one model of their tvs where the concentrate only on picture quality and do not charge us for fancy sound systems or premium frame materials, which most of us do not need.

• Like Like x 6
      • Thanks Thanks x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    6. unknownuser0001

unknownuser0001

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +458
      These sneaky owners..unbelievable...Don't hide guys, come here and share your experience here :D

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    7. tigertimtim

tigertimtim

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +663
      Joining the owners club on Tuesday, got a great price match off Richer Sounds, £2,514.98 on the 55" EZ952.

8. raymondo77

raymondo77
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,883
      I know it's not entirely analogous, but it's great to see that over the course of two or so years the prices has dropped significantly on the OLEDs. 2015 the LG 55EG960V was £3,500-£3,800 (I paid £3,500 for mine in March 2015) and now at launch the 55" EZ952 can be had for under £2,500. :D

I really hope this trend trickles into the 77" models too, the sooner they're under £10,000 the sooner I can think a little more seriously about them!

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    9. Goldorak

Goldorak
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,493
      Congrats mate, very happy for you

10. Billy Goodgun

Billy Goodgun

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,369
      Great stuff - hope you're happy with it! I'm sure you will be. It seems this is the year OLED has really matured and been refined - I'm not seeing many problems reported on any of the owners' threads, for any manufacturer.

11. Vipers

Vipers

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +649
      Hi Guys,

Sorry for not posting my thoughts sooner but haven't really had much time to enjoy my new 65EX952, shocking I know, but last night I had a couple of hours playing around with it.

For me I have been extremely happy with my Pioneer KRP 60" for over 6 years now, really hard to fault, even today, so the biggest compliment I can give the new Panny is that when watching standard material like Sky News etc the colour balance is very similar to my calibrated KRP, very natural skin tones and overall colour balance with deeper blacks obviously, more definition and definitely more brightness which I am really happy with, basically all I wanted was my KRP but with the ability to do 4K and HDR so the fact that it is better whilst retaining it's strength's means I am very happy.

But there is one major advantage, once I fed it a 4K signal from my OPPO UDP-205, OMG, what a picture, absolutely stunning, difficult to put into words really but needless to say I was straight onto Amazon to order some more 4K films.

I have been tempted by OLED for a couple of years now but I am really glad that I waited for this generation and in particular the Panasonic, I'm sure they are all good this year but the fact that the Panny has such accurate colours out of the box really helped with my decision, the Sony came close but I don't need the enhanced sound as I run a pretty decent sound system so in the end it was a no brainer.

Highly recommended :)

• Like Like x 9
      • Useful Useful x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    12. Goldorak

Goldorak
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,493
      Don't speak too fast pleaaaaaase :)

13. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,991
      Thats great news and I appreciate the comments from ex Panasonic plasma owners! Going to read more about this one but it looks like my mind is made up...

14. unknownuser0001

unknownuser0001

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +458
      One of the main reason that probably my first try will be this Panasonic.

How is the OS? I've checked at Panasonic's website that they already released new firmware so they will probably keep the TV fresh or fix issues fast.

15. Vipers

Vipers

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +649
      Yes the interface seemed OK, had to update the firmware before use but all worked fine, my first taste of a smart TV but all seems pretty slick.

The only thing I would say is that I like to use an Ethernet cable but once one is plugged in you can't attached the rear cover which sits over all the inputs which seems a bit of an oversight, I guess it you can buy slimline ethernet cables?

16. andryu180

andryu180

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +65
      So guys, last night I played around with pc and ps4 and here's the report:

- I'm starting to suspect that these ez950s are equipped with a 2016 panel, for three reasons:
      1. One of the very few differences between EZ1000 and EZ950 is that the latter is not as bright concerning hdr performance, and we all know that this year panels are brighter.

2. Some people reported the slight magenta tint on the EZ950; AFAIK no other 2017 Tv was reported to have been affected by that.

3. I cannot get a 1080p 120 Hz via pc even creating a custom resolution, and we already know that's possible on 2017 panels.

I could't get hdr to work on pc. I mean, I could get the hdr signal but couldn't get it to work with Netflix and YouTube. I don't have any games to try hdr right now. Besides, the Netflix app on the Tv is waaaaaay better than streaming Netflix via pc with its dedicated windows app. I watched an episode of 13 in UHD (don't know if it was Hdr too) and it was, in a word, stunning. Streaming it via pc the effect was not even close.

17. unknownuser0001

unknownuser0001

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +458
      Good.
      That's normal, with rear facing ports you can't use the cover. It's in the manual :)

Screenshot 2017-07-01 14.31.04.png

18. unknownuser0001

unknownuser0001

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +458
      1. 755 nits was measured by the germans

2. They can use any filter on any panel. The filter type is not tied to the generation.

3. This is a real objection which could mean it's 2016 panel, interesting

I think you can't watch HDR in Netflix and YouTube on Windows

19. Vipers

Vipers

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +649
      Cool, thanks for clarifying :smashin:

20. andryu180

andryu180

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +65
      Normal mode - warm 2, I couldn't see any red tint on a completely white screen.

Hdr on pc I think it's still a big mess, not at all user friendly. I've ordered one of those rip-off 29g/s hdmi cable just to be 100% sure the 120hz and hdr things are not caused by poor cable quality. I'll let you know as soon as I get it

21. unknownuser0001

unknownuser0001

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +458
      HDR is mess not just on PC, it's a mess everywhere, I mean the setup process is totally not user friendly when even AV forum members are having problems. I still don't know why you need to turn on high bandwidth

Speaking of this, have you used HDMI 1 or 2 and enabled full bandwidth for the port? Maybe that's why you can't select 120Hz

Use HDMI 1 or 2. Picture Settings-> Option Settings -> Game mode on-> Pure direct 1080p on after scroll down to HDMI RGB range and select full or auto, normal doesn't give full bandwidth

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    22. andryu180

andryu180

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +65
      I did as you said but nope, no results. It may be the cable though, quite old. On nvidia colour settings I set rgb, full, 12 bit. On custom resolution I set 1920, 1080, 120 Hz and left untouched everything else. On console the hdr overall experience is a lot better, the console asks you if you wish to switch to hdr whenever it detects an hdr signal and that's it. Results vary from game to game but in general hdr is so freaking good. I can't imagine what we will achieve when we finally have 12bit panels and hdr+ or Dolby vision. Oooh, it will be beautiful :)

23. unknownuser0001

unknownuser0001

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +458
      All the 2017 panel characteristics are present with this TV so don't worry, it's 2017 panel.
      Close up shot of the pixels also confirmed that the panel is identical to the LG 7 series.
      It could be the cable or simple Panasonic doesn't allow to run at 120Hz. Is BFI off right? With BFI you can't use 120Hz on the Sony

24. Goldorak

Goldorak
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,493
      IMG_9293.PNG IMG_9292.JPG
      Your post sir disturbed me highly and got me thinking plus doing a full review. Below are my observations:

1. Uk review highlighted a significant lower nits on pana versus all competition. No one is wondering why ? Same panels but such a difference of brightness ? (Ignore top end with coating)

2. Not a single uk review went at pixel level to check the panels. The French did and it was confirmed 2017 oled panel

3. German and French reviews are measuring the same high nits as Sony and lg. not the same for Steve and Vincent reviews (my reference uk reviewer both measuring around 660nits peak at 10 percent window. French measured 617 vs 697 for Sony but they don't specificy the window (looks bigger than 10 percent for me, see pics) German review playing in the 750-800nits apparently but I need to double check)

4. A serious magenta purple tint was reported and you can see it in the attached picture from a forum friend.

5. @andryu180 reported the points above and the 3rd one is disturbing

Let's look at this logically before any conclusions. To me, possible uk panels are affected for a reason I ignore

So only way to be sure is:
      1. Can all owners check the tint color please on the baby pana
      2. Can you please also check that we can get 1080p 120hz please.
      3. Anything you think of that could explain my previous observations

Before you shoot me, can I clearly state that I LOVE THE PANA but disturbed by this.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    25. unknownuser0001

unknownuser0001

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +458
      This site measured 680 nits for thr 55B7, 620nits for the 55EZ950, 640 nits for the EZ1000 and 685nits for the 65A1. I don't think that it's significant.

You can't say it's 2016 just because it can't do 120Hz, filter is not proving anything as well.

All the other 2017 OLED improvements are noticeable on this TV as well, how they did it with 2016 panels? or why does it matter if it's just as good as the other 2017 OLEDs?

26. Goldorak

Goldorak
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,493
      Like I said, I am not concluding anything. Doesn't matter what year panel it is.
      I can live with lower nits as can link it to how they choose to play with electronics (abl).
      The tint is more concerning as supposed to have disappeared from this year panel.

I am just checking that it is a minor incident and that we don't have same purple tint. I had no pleasure to see the baby pana in the flesh yet

27. unknownuser0001

unknownuser0001

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +458
      Good for you that you can notice 60 nits difference :p

I don't want to see any reflection during usage so I don't care if in bright room the tint is neutral or magenta. If I see my reflections or the environment on the screen then I freak out so I minimize light sources till I can't see reflections. So I don't know why do you care about this, maybe you want to use the screen as a mirror too? :)

28. Goldorak

Goldorak
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,493
      I have seen too many people in this site getting in a loop on similar discussions.
      I tried to address this logically.
      1. Brightness difference of 10-15 percent does matter to me for HDR. Not for others. However, I agree that it can't be the only factor

2. Tint: read 2 people reporting this and I suspect more. That's a serious problem as should simply not happen. I hope it is just isolated cases. This problem was supposed to be eradicated this year. That's very different from simple reflection Problems or mirror effect.
      The tint is so strong that you can see it on a simple pic I posted. Just hoping it is not like that for everyone.

29. tigertimtim

tigertimtim

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +663
      In previous years tinting was a panel lottery, last year i sent 2 E6's back because they had a dirty yellow/brown tint covering the top half of the screen which was very noticeable watching old Black n White films, other people get pink tinting usually at the edges, how common it is this year, so far it seems less of an issue but have read of one person mentioning yellow tint and a couple of mentions of that pink tint at edges, tbh we need more feedback but guess theres always going to be a lottery element on any of the big screen Tv's.

30. unknownuser0001

unknownuser0001

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +458
      Germans measured 755 nits (676 nits for the 55C7), very low. 1500 nits? low, 2500 nits? decent. All of these TVs are low for true HDR sorry.
      Also these test pattern measurements are totally mean not much. Sony on these test is doing kinda bad but still the APL is much higher than on LG. I think many people just read those numbers and say that TV 1 or TV 2 is bad. These are the people who say that they can feel huge difference between 30ms and 25ms input lag :)

Please explain to me how magenta tint effects low light viewing? I don't think that the tin color matters in dark room.
      Owners please take similar pics of the screen.

Screenshot 2017-07-01 19.33.32.png Screenshot 2017-07-01 19.33.43.png