Panasonic EZ1002 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

But that kind of is Dolby...

The problem with HDR10 and dynamic metadata is that it's not part of the UHD BD spec, it won't be used by broadcast as they want HLG, and it requires newer HDMI (regardless of FPS bandwidth) and it's not clear if existing HDMI 2.0 equipment is upgrade-able even if the manufacturers wanted to. Hence the only way to use it on a Sumsung TV is via Amazon streaming... that's going to get a bit limiting.

Dolby works with existing HDMI 2.0 kit and is in the UHD BD standards. It's just some manufacturers want to effectively pocket the license fee for themselves. It's probably cheaper in the long run to just use Dolby as you don't have to figure everything out for yourself with varying degrees of success. I'm also concerned that HDR10 content can be mastered to just about whatever nit level you like making the job for TV manufacturers even harder... how do you second guess that?

Dolby Vision prescribes all these things... I'm sure it doesn't stop manufacturers working with them to get the very best out of their display so they can still claim a better HDR picture.

And is Dolby licensing that expensive if the likes of Sony are retrofitting it for free to models it wasn't even promised on?

Fully agree with you. Just wanted to say that Dolby exist because they could not get their act together
Hdr10+ could be the answer if adopted but I prefer dv as higher quality end to end source
This video is bringing home importance of tone mapping and dynamic metadata

Can't help thinking that until dv is widely available across all medium (2-3 years?), pana is not a bad bet at all..(unless you can afford a Loewe :) which has a similar tone mapping to pana and dv on top....hummmmmm

Just a reminder please don't post videos or links to other reviews especially on AVF review threads

Can't help thinking that until dv is widely available across all medium (2-3 years?), pana is not a bad bet at all..(unless you can afford a Loewe :) which has a similar tone mapping to pana and dv on top....hummmmmm

You reckon? Panasonic completely and utterly messed up by not putting Dolby Vision on its latest OLEDs. Dolby Vision content is already available on Amazon Video and Netflix. Dolby Vision titles are launched in June. If I had spent so much money on a TV and had invested in the very latest Dolby Vision-enabled disc, there is no way I would want to watch that in poorer quality.

The deciding factor in the Dolby Vision story has been the entry of Sony.

I now suspect that Panasonic will rush to get a Dolby Vision TV to market as soon as they can, leaving people who buy the current OLED TVs in the lurch.

Sony's current tone mapping algorithm may not be perfect for AV enthusiasts, but at least it could be addressed easily.

You reckon? Panasonic completely and utterly messed up by not putting Dolby Vision on its latest OLEDs. Dolby Vision content is already available on Amazon Video and Netflix. Dolby Vision titles are launched in June. If I had spent so much money on a TV and had invested in the very latest Dolby Vision-enabled disc, there is no way I would want to watch that in poorer quality.

The deciding factor in the Dolby Vision story has been the entry of Sony.

I now suspect that Panasonic will rush to get a Dolby Vision TV to market as soon as they can, leaving people who buy the current OLED TVs in the lurch.

Sony's current tone mapping algorithm may not be perfect for AV enthusiasts, but at least it could be addressed easily.

I am just hoping pana to wake up and implement in this year oled TV

Forgot about amazon and Netflix but I assumed it was low content.

I will be watching the coming months closely especially if Sony improve it a bit via firmware (same for all the others)

As for pana, fully agree with you

It's easy to say they did as we all want it, but until we get the DV versus comparison it's hard to tell.
Certainly wouldn't have harmed their sales figures if it had of been included / could still be added.
If it is introduced next year but only on 2018 models > it's going to annoy many 2017 buyers - but they know that.

Just a reminder please don't post videos or links to other reviews especially on AVF review threads

I didn't realize that was forbidden. Is it a new rule?

Cheers.

It seems like there is a lot of uncertainty around buying a new tv. It was so simple when I bought my LX5090 Kuro. Maybe people are more picky these days!? I remember when the first Kuros were £5,000. It was too much money for me and I knew future tvs would be better and cheaper so I sat tight until I was happy with price and performance; was mainly waiting for 1080p back in those days, though also 24p for movies.

I think the safest option is to buy a 2016 tv cheap, (£1,450 for a 55" B6 say), sit tight for a couple of years and see what improvements come.

I have never had any regrets paying £2,250 for my 50" Kuro and still enjoy using it to this day. :)
Interesting you bring up the Kuro, in its day this was a very impressive, expensive set and by no means perfect on all levels. I owned at least 4 of the models.

Last edited:
I didn't realize that was forbidden. Is it a new rule?

Cheers.
I don't want to really start quoting rules but yes technically rule 4. I know some other reviews are helpful but when they are by and bear the logo of rival sites then we have to remove them.

It's only in the review threads, you can obviously post whatever you want in other threads like the owners threads for example.

Yes as long as it's helpful, not excessive or blatantly promoting another site for that purpose only there's discretion used in other threads

It's only in the review threads, you can obviously post whatever you want in other threads like the owners threads for example.

Ah, OK. Thanks.

Up until just a few short years ago LCDs could manage less than half the brightness of this set.

The idea that 650 nits isn't enough for daytime viewing is a bit of an exageration.

I prefer a real life comparison side by side test, which has been done between a high nit Lcd TV and low nit oled TV in a control setting and with relevant source material.The planet earth 2, Miss peregrine's home for particular children are ideal hdr test materials.

See for yourself with those bluray the dynamic range at the top end is really there to see.No Oled can capture the bright scenes with details intact.You have to see it.
For bluray hdr, 700 nit is not, 'as good', when the source is mastered at 4k nits or more. Personal choice if it is adequate?
The TV toned map image should match as close to the master container image.
We don't really decide, 'how bright is too bright', just as a mirror reflect what is in front of it.
Bright colours need high luminousity to bring it out as Dark colours need blacks.

Last edited:
DV to me is NOT important - at least not until we have screens with 12bit Panels. All it seems to be doing for TV's at the moment is helping those that can't get content mastered to 4000nits to tone map correctly! As Panels are 10bit and not offering the full REC2020 gamut or close to reaching 4000nits, then why would you 'need' DV? Its not as if there is studio's exclusively producing DV content! All content will be HDR10 with 'some' of those also adding in DV support on top. Its not like Disney and Sony Studios are DV but Universal, WB etc are HDR10 and you 'need' both to watch all HDR content. Maybe you need DV if your TV can't tone map correctly but its not going to provide a wider colour gamut, brighter picture etc. PQ maybe better as it helps with tone mapping but if they corrected that as some (at least Samsung) can manage this, the need for DV is eliminated at the moment. DV I know does offer a more consistent mastering standard as HDR10 can be mastered at 1000 or 4000nits where as DV is always 4000nits.

I think its more important to have a TV that has the capacity to offer the highest MDC (Millions of Distinguishable Colours) when it comes to HDR - that is a good indication of the colour volume. Compared to Sony's A1 - which may well be a bit brighter, it obviously lacks the colour volume compared to the Panasonic. Its 338 MDC value beats the 332 MDC value meaning it has 6m more distinguishable colours it can display! Compared to the 442 of the Q8 and 441 of the XE9305, its obviously lacking but you don't get any risk of haloing or uneven black bars.

I had hoped to see a bigger improvement over last years models - wider colour gamuts, higher Peak Brightness in the 'accurate' modes but maybe with HLG, Dynamic HDR, HDMI 2.1 etc on the horizon, maybe the improvements are more behind the panel in readiness for these...

£6.5k and NOT reference....:eek:

Oled seems stuck at 650 nits and not capable of the Best HDR, LCD can do HDR but has not so good blacks simple choice I suppose...but not one I'm prepared to make for now

If you want high contrast towards the darker end of the spectrum buy OLED, if you want high contrast towards the lighter end of the spectrum, buy LCD.

Personally, I like to be able to get to sleep at night so OLED is the obvious choice.

I suspect some units that are sent out for reviews are handpicked but so far all have banding anyway. Ridiculous money for the crap we get.

I agree Chamberlain. It may be one of those things that is just inherent to OLED tech. After all these years, show me an LCD that has perfect viewing angles and good black levels?

If you want high contrast towards the darker end of the spectrum buy OLED, if you want high contrast towards the lighter end of the spectrum, buy LCD.

Personally, I like to be able to get to sleep at night so OLED is the obvious choice.

Think I'll stick to my Kuro Krp for now

Yes as long as it's helpful, not excessive or blatantly promoting another site for that purpose only there's discretion used in other threads

Anyone got the link I think I missed it !!!:D:laugh::eek:

Think I'll stick to my Kuro Krp for now

I only had to, "twist," when LG announced that the 2016 OLED's would be the last 3D. Sad to see my LG Plasma go yesterday when I gave it to my father. If your a Plasma lover, there is no way you'll end up with an LCD.

We all see things differently, so if you like what you see have it.
Judge for yourself when you see it.. :smashin:

I only had to, "twist," when LG announced that the 2016 OLED's would be the last 3D. Sad to see my LG Plasma go yesterday when I gave it to my father. If your a Plasma lover, there is no way you'll end up with an LCD.

I'm a huge 3d fan,luckily I have a batcave projector set up for major movie watching...so 3d on tv is not vital to me...

On AV Forums in the USA it's being reported that the previous Sony firmware (the one that is current in the UK still) hard clipped with HDR in Cinema Pro mode. Each picture mode had a different tone mapping algorithm. With the latest update, I understand that this does not hard clip any more.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom