Panasonic EZ1002 4K OLED TV owners and discussion thread

dr no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now these are on sale we should be having some owners.
Appreciated at the retail price there may not be too many owners
But if you are one of the lucky ones then please fire ahead

E9595AFC-28FE-44B5-848F-77CCF387328A-8721-00000BC844C5A17E.jpeg

7D9CF4E6-025C-4828-8CBF-A929187EECA9-8721-00000BC8A05D3C03.jpeg

EDE74BFD-72C3-46FA-8ABD-773661A6AC70-8721-00000BC9B3DBEEA4.jpeg

217FEE2A-6B06-4B5A-AC31-16664E069817-8721-00000BC9CBB9DAD8.jpeg

So what 4K media players are other EZ1002/1000 owners using? I plugged in a USB 3 external hard drive and the 4K video was stuttering quite a bit. Plex stutters a lot as my current CPU on the PC cannot transcode audio quick enough.

What is the latest FW number in your country available to be installed?

I am loving HDR content from Netflix so far. Played Forza Horizon 3 on Xbox One S with HDR and the visuals were amazing.

Is the 4K upscaling automatic for all sources on this TV? For e.g if I am watching Freeview, it does show the screen resolution at 1080P when I press the information button but is the TV doing 4K upscaling automatically to the source or do we need to turn 4K upscaling On some were?

Is the 4K upscaling automatic for all sources on this TV? For e.g if I am watching Freeview, it does show the screen resolution at 1080P when I press the information button but is the TV doing 4K upscaling automatically to the source or do we need to turn 4K upscaling On some were?

It's automatic. If the image is using the entire screen then it's upscaling the image (otherwise it'd take up a quarter of the panel for 1080p).

I'm a month in with this set - the EZ1002 UK model - and it is beautiful, massively capable set.

However, there are a couple of REALLY infuriating things that, for a set that cost me 1p less than £7K, I don't know if I can live with.

First, the screen uniformity issue... Vertical bars one third of the way in from either side of the screen.
I know this is supposedly a trait of all OLED sets but I was so disappointed for it to be so prominent on this set.

The other thing is the real biggie...

With Game mode off, there are so many dropped frames from all sources...
For the record i use an Oppo UDP-203 via HDMI1, a Dune HD 4K Solo via HDMI2 and a SkyHD+ box via HDMI3.
I use a variety of source material: from SD 480P through 720i/p and 1080i/p up to HDR and non-HDR 4k movies and Tv shows.
The dropped frames are definite image processing faults within the TV as I still also have a 2011 PX-50VT30 Plasma running alongside it for the time being so I can do the necessary comparisons.
The frame drops are all 100% repeatable in that they always occur at the exact same point every time.
Turn Game mode ON, and the problem is gone. However, I can't then use IFC (inaccessible when Game mode is on) which is very useful in Custom mode to take the edge off some of the negative OLED motion judder issues.

I am torn as to whether I have a defective set or whether these frame drops will be solved by a future firmware update... And would love if someone else with an EZ1002 and a SkyHD+ box could get in touch to run a couple of tests on their set for me.

Don't get me wrong - this set is an absolute stunner... but these issues are really taking the shine off being a new owner for me (given that I've saved for two years in order to buy Panny's first flat panel OLED).

Last edited:
I'm a month in with this set - the EZ1002 UK model - and it is beautiful, massively capable set.

However, there are a couple of REALLY infuriating things that, for a set that cost me 1p less than £7K, I don't know if I can live with.

First, the screen uniformity issue... Vertical bars one third of the way in from either side of the screen.
I know this is supposedly a trait of all OLED sets but I was so disappointed for it to be so prominent on this set.

The other thing is the real biggie...

With Game mode off, there are so many dropped frames from all sources...
For the record i use an Oppo UDP-203 via HDMI1, a Dune HD 4K Solo via HDMI2 and a SkyHD+ box via HDMI3.
I use a variety of source material: from SD 480P through 720i/p and 1080i/p up to HDR and non-HDR 4k movies and Tv shows.
The dropped frames are definite image processing faults within the TV as I still also have a 2011 PX-50VT30 Plasma running alongside it for the time being so I can do the necessary comparisons.
The frame drops are all 100% repeatable in that they always occur at the exact same point every time.
Turn Game mode ON, and the problem is gone. However, I can't then use IFC (inaccessible when Game mode is on) which is very useful in Custom mode to take the edge off some of the negative OLED motion judder issues.

I am torn as to whether I have a defective set or whether these frame drops will be solved by a future firmware update... And would love if someone else with an EZ1002 and a SkyHD+ box could get in touch to run a couple of tests on their set for me.

Don't get me wrong - this set is an absolute stunner... but these issues are really taking the shine off being a new owner for me (given that I've saved for two years in order to buy Panny's first flat panel OLED).

Flatpanels also experienced this with the EZ950. "The processor also managed de-interlacing well so even 1080i50 content from Europe looks decent. However, we did experience an issue with micro stutter on some 1080p sources, and no combination of IFC or other settings could fix it. We noticed the issue with both broadcast and streaming content but not with 4K content and Blu-ray."

Report this issue to Panasonic, maybe they can fix it.

Getting the EZ1000 is a deep question for me. I mean, I already own two fantastic performing DX900s (1 for the lady cave and 1 for the man cave). Both panels are the envy of this forum. They deliver brilliant levels of colour and luminance, which is my natural bias. However the EZ1000 is undeniably another beast from panasonic, and I think the best tv of 2017. It also makes a nice trophy for the home. I love the per pixel precision of oled, but in my place, the EZ1000 would go in the man cave. Essentially then, it would be one pricey gaming monitor for the ps4 pro and the up coming One X. Is this worth ditching the man cave DX900 for?

Last edited:
I will concede one point to the LG G7 over the EZ1000 (and also the EZ950 and the Sony A1 for that matter). On the G7, the panel is placed on a glass back plate. What is the significance of this? Well, it means no bent or warped panels.

One 65EZ950 I saw was nigh on perfect but others were less so and the Sony A1 was borderline objectionable! I'd be gutted if the EZ1000 I got was bent out of shape. I do think that this is a temporary hick up in manufacturing and will be sorted down the line.

Last edited:
The EZ1000 is the best tv on the market today but the LG G7, which is the natural rival of the EZ1000, has perfectly straight panels because of the glass back plate. I examined the G7 's panel extremely closely and they were as straight as a row of marines and there was no warping of refections to speak of. I've got to hand it to LG, they did a splendid job.

The Panasonic EZ950 panels were very good indeed, straight and with very minor warping of reflections. My only complaint is that they weren't the equal of the G7, but in all fairness, the Panasonics were excellent, despite the G7. However, on the other hand, I wouldn't mention LG on the same day as Panasonic. Anyway, this became clear and obvious when I saw the Sony A1. Some of the Sony panels were bent and the reflections were so wobbly and distorted that I'd rate the Sony A1 a very distant 3rd place. The panel distortion was truly awful at times.

I've got my eye on an EZ1000 but the price needs to come down. Plus there's the important announcement Panasonic will make shortly, so I need to check that out too. Finally, I might be getting something fast and furious with a NISMO badge on it (and not in virtual form). Let's see what happens!!

The EZ1000 is the best tv on the market today but the LG G7, which is the natural rival of the EZ1000, has perfectly straight panels because of the glass back plate. I examined the G7 's panel extremely closely and they were as straight as a row of marines and there was no warping of refections to speak of. I've got to hand it to LG, they did a splendid job.

The Panasonic EZ950 panels were very good indeed, straight and with very minor warping of reflections. My only complaint is that they weren't the equal of the G7, but in all fairness, the Panasonics were excellent, despite the G7. However, on the other hand, I wouldn't mention LG on the same day as Panasonic. Anyway, this became clear and obvious when I saw the Sony A1. Some of the Sony panels were bent and the reflections were so wobbly and distorted that I'd rate the Sony A1 a very distant 3rd place. The panel distortion was truly awful at times.

I've got my eye on an EZ1000 but the price needs to come down. Plus there's the important announcement Panasonic will make shortly, so I need to check that out too. Finally, I might be getting something fast and furious with a NISMO badge on it (and not in virtual form). Let's see what happens!!

In the design or bevel, although they are aesthetic issues I always preferred not to be exaggerated to be extremely thin bevel, that's the bad thing about OLED technology manufacturers think that provides quality construction when this is more fragile... I prefer that come well coated bezel 5-7cm deep, so that it is solid; but I reiterate these are just a esthetic.

Now we go to the PQ of the TV, where it really matters... and in that I agree with you, undoubtedly the Panasonic OLEDs (EZ950/EZ1000) are the best OLED 2017, to the margin of stuttering in some scenes reported in content 25p (that for now is solved with game mode enabled) I know that with a firmware will definitely fix that.

Query for any EZ1000 owners.... have you tried going through HDR clips on Youtube (eg 4K HDR channel) and checked whether or not they trigger HDR mode on the TV?
I've found on my EZ950 that I can only get videos encoded with VP9 to trigger HDR, anything encoded with VP9.2 seems to only play in standard dynamic range, which looks like crap. The Samsung I had briefly before returning it due to a fault did not have any issue playing all HDR content in HDR mode.
Trying to get some info from Panasonic locally (Australia) as I imagine it should be a software upgrade fix, if it is indeed more than just a problem I am seeing on my set......

I've reviewed extensively an Ez1000 here in Eastern Europe and it is the same.

What I've managed to do to work this around, but only for a few clips, was to reinstall YouTube aplication.
After a while it was the same.

Thx AndreiNR, I'm discussing this with Panasonic Australia support, will post if I get any update from them.
Cheers
Chris

of course, nothing could've been more predictable but the EZ1000 was voted the best tv of 2017 by hdtvtest. The only thing thats gonna stop me from getting one, is if panasonic reveal a new hdr monster to replace my beloved dx900s (yes, that's plural). I guess we're all waiting for IFA 2017, to be held in Berlin, in september.

Query for any EZ1000 owners.... have you tried going through HDR clips on Youtube (eg 4K HDR channel) and checked whether or not they trigger HDR mode on the TV?
I've found on my EZ950 that I can only get videos encoded with VP9 to trigger HDR, anything encoded with VP9.2 seems to only play in standard dynamic range, which looks like crap. The Samsung I had briefly before returning it due to a fault did not have any issue playing all HDR content in HDR mode.
Trying to get some info from Panasonic locally (Australia) as I imagine it should be a software upgrade fix, if it is indeed more than just a problem I am seeing on my set......
Piosonic reported on the EZ952 thread that a software upgrade yesterday has fixed this issue.. yet to test it myself!

Update: the new software update did fix this issue.

Last edited:
I think about replace 55A1e with 65ez1. I just worry and not sure its right !
I watch alot of HD. Or I should stay with a1 but 55" is too small in my opinion as im with 55A1 pic is 1080i digital TV
Any suggestions 65Ez1 is better ? Or just equal? I do not really care about HDR most watch SDR fuul HD i must make the preorder by this Sat very good deal
By the way A1 replaced my KRP500A

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    632.4 KB · Views: 392
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 352
Dear Piosonic
Thank you so much.

No I'm NOT going to wall mount the set also I will pay extra for Professional calibrator after I run it but I still confuse coz I have not seem Panasonic 65Ez1 in action. Most the people in web of my country here think Sony is better coz of DV. and it is sony .
NOW I just sold 55A1e to one of my friend coz I want to get 65"

Yes I can notice how the best of motion on A1 coz I got 65E6 that I bought for my mom.

In Thailand Panasonic launch only 77Ez1 and 65Ez1 Right now I can get 65Ez1 cheaper than 65A1e after discount about UK200-250

My partner ask me to wait till I see it by my own eyes.
Thank you
sawadee Khub.

After seeing the HDTVtestUK shoot out it looks like I'll be taking delivery of one of these here in Australia tomorrow. Got a great price through a retail contact that made it only slightly more expensive than what I can buy the A1 Oled for from Sony ($250). Seems this is a pretty small owners thread. Obviously there won't be a parallel thread happening on AVS since they haven't got this set in the US. Looking for to trying the recommended setting here. Hopefully the lack of DV also doesn't prove a real issue as I only just picked up on that today.

Last edited:
Dear, OzHT
Thank you for sharing I'm going to preOrder and I can get it end of this month. I have to wait for tomorrow to preorder coz the promotion deal.
Looking to hear from your side How impress after you install 65Ez1
I put A1 back to the box and I shipped to my friend
When I get EZ1 I will be back !!

Cheer

After seeing the HDTVtestUK shoot out it looks like I'll be taking delivery of one of these here in Australia tomorrow. Got a great price through a retail contact that made it only slightly more expensive than what I can buy the A1 Oled for from Sony ($250). Seems this is a pretty small owners thread. Obviously there won't be a parallel thread happening on AVS since they haven't got this set in the US. Looking for to trying the recommended setting here. Hopefully the lack of DV also doesn't prove a real issue as I only just picked up on that today.

Hello, Lucky new owner of this set here, I say lucky maybe not. Looking to see if any one is having any issue with bad banding.Some one that also has one of these sets witch looks like not many people going of this owner thread.
I am on my 2nd set just received as exchange its like the same screen! one inch thick black band where the wall mount would go if this is anything to go with same spot. I know there is more banding on the screen but these can not be seen on content. I am not worried how the screen looks on 5% slide as this is just oled and i can accept this.
What i can not except is a 6k screen with a banding issue on almost all content and colours
Few pictures I have added but in fairness its a lot worse than the pictures but hard to capture on the football and bright scenes this is where it looks worse.
I have done 1 manual clean cycle and a few auto ones I have about 10 hours on the set, first one over 50 no change from 1st hour to be honest.
Any one with there thoughts and this sets please?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1724.JPG
    IMG_1724.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 451
  • IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 403
  • IMG_1723.JPG
    IMG_1723.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 380
  • IMG_1738.JPG
    IMG_1738.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 379
  • IMG_1762.JPG
    IMG_1762.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 421
Hello, Lucky new owner of this set here, I say lucky maybe not. Looking to see if any one is having any issue with bad banding.Some one that also has one of these sets witch looks like not many people going of this owner thread.
I am on my 2nd set just received as exchange its like the same screen! one inch thick black band where the wall mount would go if this is anything to go with same spot. I know there is more banding on the screen but these can not be seen on content. I am not worried how the screen looks on 5% slide as this is just oled and i can accept this.
What i can not except is a 6k screen with a banding issue on almost all content and colours
Few pictures I have added but in fairness its a lot worse than the pictures but hard to capture on the football and bright scenes this is where it looks worse.
I have done 1 manual clean cycle and a few auto ones I have about 10 hours on the set, first one over 50 no change from 1st hour to be honest.
Any one with there thoughts and this sets please?
Thanks

I don't have a Panasonic OLED, I have an LG one, but seriously that is absolutely terrible. Do not do anything other than immediately send that back. Whilst it may get a bit better if it's done a comp cycle already it isn't going to get good enough.

On the LG side of this forum there are lots of people sending OLED sets back for what I think is very minor banding. Like OLEDS generally have some issues at 5% ire.

To me banding that can only be seen on darkish fairly uniform scenes is par for the course with OLEDs right now. You might get lucky and have with that shows little of this, but generally this sort of banding is on most of these sets. If you are more unlucky you might have it bad enough to see a little during panning shots on uniform colours, such as during football games. Even then usually isn't too bad. However banding you can see like on yours on normal, non dark content....absolutely shouldn't be accepted in any TV.

Change it. Immediately. Sorry.

Hi All
I just preOrder Ez1 today, I concern about shutting frame drop issued on 24-25p
Any fixed via FW yet ????

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom