Panasonic ez1000 clicking noise

Azza82

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have only just purchased a 2017 model Panasonic EZ1000 OLED 65" TV and while watching the TV it makes a clicking noise (the type it makes while turning it on) it makes this sound intermittently sometimes very often and other times not so often. What could this be? It's under warranty but a huge pain in the ass.

You need to find a correlation between the clicking and something else. Things that spring to mind are: clicks signal a change in audio type (e.g. Dolby to stereo), clicks signal a switch between inputs or between tuners, clicks signal a program guide update or something. Or even it's when a fan comes on our goes off.

If it happens when the thing is in standby it's probably just the computer coming on/off to update the program guide or check for firmware updates, or indeed the start/end of a display compensation cycle.

He said it was while watching it.

If the sound from the source doesn’t drop out, that sounds to me like a faulty hardware component.

Sounds like a faulty relay.

Turns out it was the surge protector making the noise. We got a new one at the same time as buying the TV. After closer listening and holding my hand on the surge protector I could feel the clicking within the unit. Guess it's just doing its job....

Mine doesn't click, ever, and it's a 10 socket one that's near fully loaded.

My surge protector is pretty silent I think. Don’t have one on the TV but on the PC/NAS and I can’t recall hearing any clicking.

Nor me. This may be a power conditioner rather than a surge protector..?

Turns out it was the surge protector making the noise.
Surge protectors do not have any parts that would 'click'. Is that a UPS? Despite so many who believe it, a UPS is not a surge protector. And does not claim to protect from surges.

Surges occur maybe once every seven years. Nothing inside a surge protector should act more than once. No surge protector circuit should make a noise.

So is it a surge protector? A UPS? A power conditioner? Unfortunately any recommendation is based in not knowing what that box really is. Because a clicking box cannot be a surge protector. And because surges are maybe once every seven years.

Meanwhile if a surge existed, how many other unprotected appliances (dishwasher, GFCI, furnace, clocks, refrigerator, door bell, central air, radios, recharging electronics, LED & CFL bulbs, smoke detectors) were damaged? Too many things are wrong.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom