1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic External Link and Freeview boxes

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nwgarratt, Jul 11, 2005.

1. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    I currently use the Panasonic TUCT30 with my Panasonic HS2. I notice it suffers from lip sync problems on CH4 and CH5 every now and then. If I decided to upgrade. Would the current Sony VTXD800 or the Pioneer DBR-TF100 work with the external link function and the boxes timer?

Also, would this work ok with the Pansonic HS2? Could I use the twin tuner to record one to the PVR and one to the HS2 (record two freeview channels at the same time).

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=137800&clickfrom=name

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I would think most STBs will trigger Ext Link, as it only depends on the arrival of a signal when the STB turns on under timer control. But most STBs do not turn on the TV-out under timer control, when starting from Standby. So you have to use the recorder-out for Ext Link.

Ideally (after the Panny STB) you'll want one with s-video from the recorder-out. I only know of the Pioneer, Philips DTR1500 and Sony that have this.

Be careful of the Sony though. It's a nice box but only delivers s-video to 'compatible' Smartlink recorders. Otherwise it switches itself to Composite and you can't do anything about it. I've never seen a list of 'compatible' recorders.

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    The STB would be using RGB from the TV scart into the Recorder. So, the TV out needs to be activated and in RGB when using a timer. I had a Philips DTR1500 for a short while before the TUCT30 and that didn't activate the ext link. It went back as the picture keeps freezing (not much fun when trying to rercord). I have no problems with the Panasonic using the same aerial.

I have a feeling I may have to live with it (at least for now).

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The TUCT30 must be unique in turning on the TV-out.
    My Grundig GDT1000 did when I first had it then there was a software update and it stopped. I called Grundig and they said the reason was that some TVs turn on from stand-by when they get a signal, and people who leave their TVs in standby all the time found them turning on inexplicably.

I find that s-video is indistinguishable from RGB so the Pioneer might suit you.
    Useful info about the Philips. I was thinking about getting one as the Pioneer is a fairly old model now..

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    The philips also turned on the TV scart in RGB, it just didn't activate the recorder.

I really need RGB as I sometimes watch the recordings on a projector. I need a better signal when that big. If I was just using a TV, then S Video would be fine.

6. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    You can't use external link to record an RGB signal. This is because the "start recording now" signal is on Scart pin 8 (I think) which is used for something else with RGB signals.

I just set timers on my Freeview box and timers on my recorder, leaving the Freeview box on all the time. It's a bit fiddly but it's worth it to be able to record in RGB. Having said that S-VHS is only slightly inferior though.

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    You can. I have been doing since my E50 and now HS2. Both STB and Recorder is set to RGB and I can easily tell a composite picture on my setup.

Pin 8 is 4:3/widescreen switching. RGB is pin 16.

8. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Hmm, my Freeview adapter - a Netgem iPlayer - uses pin 8 to send the record signal, so I just assumed they all did. The Panasonic responds to that signal but not if you're using RGB (at least not with an iPlayer).

Sorry for confusing the issue!

9. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is nothing in the scart spec about pin 8 having some special RGB function. It's just called Function Switching. But is strange that not a single STB provides RGB for recording. Mind you, only a couple provide s-video.
    I also use both timers with a Pioneer, although it has AutoStart (= Ext Link). It's not too bad to set up with 7-day EPG on the STB and Video Plus on the recorder. It's just having to extend the start and end times to deal with the terrible timekeeping of TV programs.

Attached Files:

10. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Most STBs do have RGB output it's just that mine can't send a "start recording now" signal if it's also sending an RGB signal.

11. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I meant no STBs I know of have RGB on the recorder-out scart (still often called VCR-out). I think it's Aux on the Netgem.

The TV-out which I agree almost always has RGB seems unable to trigger Ext Link and Auto Start.

If Pin 8 is 'dead' on the TV-out scart, this may be related to the fact that TVs don't rely on Pin 8 for aspect ratio switching. They use a signal embedded in Line 23 of the picture scan. I understand this is a universal standard whereas Pin 8 is a European peculiarity in the scart design.

I wonder what would happen if you doctored a couple of scart plugs and connected Pin 8 of the recorder-out plug to the Pin 8 wire of the TV-out cable? Would the TV-out (assuming it was activated by the timer) then trigger a recorder ?

Let's face it, scart is an awful design with good intentions. Daft plug, unwieldy cables, sometimes it's bi-directional, sometimes it isn't, very little use made of its capabilities. Europe should have gone with s-video and Component for best quality.

12. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just had a thought. If the TV-out definitely turns on under timer control, then a Phantom PVR plugged into the STB recorder-out (but not wired on to the recorder) would be activated by the STB. In turn the Phantom would turn on the recorder and start it recording from the STB's TV-out connection.
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page3b.htm#phantom
    I don't know much about the Phantom with DVD recorders. I investigated briefly, until I found out my STB doesn't turn on its TV-out under timer control.