Panasonic 'ext link' - SCART pin assignments?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nelviticus, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I have a Panasonic DMR E95. It has 'ext link' capability, which means that something connected to its AV2 SCART socket can send a signal that triggers recording.

My Freeview box has two SCART outputs. One of these sends an RGB picture signal but no signal to trigger ext link recording. The other sends the record signal but only composite or s-video picture data.

My question is, which SCART pin transmits the 'record this!' signal and is it one that's used for something else in a RGB cable? I'd like to rig up something that picks up the 'record' signal from the non-RGB socket and carries it over to the RGB one, so that the Freeview box can trigger recordings in RGB quality.

Just wondering whether it can be done.

Ta

Nelviticus

2. keithyboy

keithyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nelviticus,

I'm in the same boat as you - would love to be able to use this facility but with RGB quality recordings.

I saw in another thread that a user (Paul69 i think??) was using the ext link facility but was not using the RGB scart.

any other Panny users out there found a way to do this ?

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Does your Freeview stb have a built in timer?
    I think it needs this for the 'ext link' feature to work.

4. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    This is the SCART pinout - I suggest pins 8,10,12 and 14 would be the ones you want. From experience pin 8 is the remote turn on (for example this turns your TV to the AV channel when you switch on your DVD for example) but I think the data pins carry the programming info but I've never tried to play with these. I would try piggybacking these 4 connections from one SCART to the other and see if that works, you may need the common ground as well (pin 21) but I'm not sure.

(PS - disclaimer - try this at your own risk, I'm taking no responsbility for this as I haven't tried it myself...)

Pin No. Function Pin No. Function
    1 AUDIO Output Right 2 AUDIO Input Right
    3 AUDIO Output Left 4 AUDIO Ground
    5 BLUE Ground 6 AUDIO Input Left
    7 BLUE 8 Function Switching
    9 GREEN Ground 10 Comm Data 2
    11 GREEN 12 Comm Data 1
    13 RED/Chroma Ground 14 Comm Data Ground
    15 RED/Chroma 16 Blanking
    17 VIDEO/Sync/Luminance Ground 18 Blanking Ground
    19 VIDEO/Sync/Luminance Output 20 VIDEO/Sync/Luminance Input
    21 Common Ground

5. Zedmeister

Zedmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Actually, as far as I can remember, you cannot use the Ext Link feature with RGB inputs, only comp. It states this in my E55 manual - as for other models I can't say.

6. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I have been experimenting with my E85 and Labgear DTT100 Freeview box.

Freeview box outputting RGB, E85 AV2 set to RGB and Ext Link 2.

Timer set on Freeview box and put into standby, Ext Link pressed on E85 remote. E85 records in RGB from AV2 when timer programme is on. But signals from Freeview box must switch off after timer program has finished otherwise E85 continues to record.

Gist is using Ext Link 2, E85 detects signals (RGB) and records as per Freeview box timer. The E85 is not relying on Scart pin 8 switching signals as output by a Sky digibox VCR Scart in Autoview mode when the E85 would need to be in Ext Link 1 mode.

7. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Hmm, I don't think my Freeview box (a Netgem iPlayer) outputs RGB from its second socket.

I suspect that the pin that's used for Ext Link must be one of the extra ones that's used for an RGB signal. That would explain why it's so damn hard to set up automatic RGB recording!

Regards

Nelviticus

8. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    No on a Sky digibox the VCR Scart socket pin 8 is used to output the signal for external link.

On your Netgem why don't you use the first Scart socket (assuming it outputs RGB) for recording?

9. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think some recorders with external link function switch on just from the presence of a signal at the input scart.
    What happens if the machine is in external link mode and you turn on the STB manually?

10. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    The recorder will start to record.

11. Boxadog

Boxadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi just spotted this thread. Have Panny E55 and have done some work on this. Basically the Sky box outputs a "High" on pin 8 of the VCR SCART when a program that has been put in the Personal planner is about to start and then goes "low" when the program finishes. This starts and stops recording when the DVD recorder is set to Ext 1. However as Nelviticus points out the VCR SCART of the Sky box supports only composite video.

The signal does not appear on pin 8 of the RGB SCART socket as this carries the 4:3/16:9 aspect ratio switching. You could connect your DVD recorder to the RGB SCART of the Sky box, disconnecting the wire to pin 8 and reconnecting pin 8 of the DVD recorder to pin 8 of the VCR SCART. This will then start and stop your recording but you will loose the aspect ratio switching on the recording and hence you will have to manually switch the aspect ratio on playback when the picture is widescreen.

As Fred Smith said, the Ext2 setting of the DVD recorder detects the presence of a video signal on the SCART pins which starts and stops the recording, but your satellite/freeview box must have a timer built in.

Personally I have settled for connecting my E55 to the RGB output of the Sky box which I just leave on and set the timer in the E55 when I want to record.

12. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I found these:
    "Pin 8 is a signal from the source that indicates the type of video present.
    0V means no signal, or internal bypass
    +6V means a widescreen (16:9) signal(*)
    +12V means a normal (4:3) signal"
    and
    " On many TV's taking pin 8 high will auto select the SCART input. With a voltage range of 4.5V to 7.0V a compatible set will select AV input in 16x9 mode. With a voltage range of 9.5v to 12.0v the set will select AV input in 4x3 mode."

So providing you get the correct trigger to pin 8 of the input to your recorder, it should start automatically.
    However, a Grundig Freeview STB will start a Pioneer 420 (set to Auto Start) from its Video-out (no RGB) but not from its TV-out (RGB available). Grundig have told me that they use Pin 8 as the external recorder trigger.

But the TV picture automatically changes format when in RGB mode and with the STB set to both 4:3 TV/Full Screen and to 16:9 TV.
    So if Pin 8 is not functioning to start the 420 from the STB's TV out, then how is the TV picture format being managed? Perhaps the voltage on Pin 8 is different for triggering a recorder to start? I can't find any references to this though.

13. Boxadog

Boxadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Eddyad

The two signals (record switching and aspect ratio switching) are separate signals generated within the box. The aspect ratio switching is connected to pin 8 of the TV SCART and the record switching is connected to pin 8 of the VCR SCART. The VCR will start with any voltage above about 4V. It would not possible to combine the two signals without some external electronics.

14. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I just twigged the problem with my STB.
    When the timer turns it on from Standby there is no signal to the TV-outl - just composite form the Video-out, together with the Pin 8 trigger.
    But the STB has a pass through from the video to the TV-out so it looks as if the TV out is behaving normally.
    So connecting the recorder to the STB TV-out is useless for Auto Start with the STB in Standby.
    And if the STB is turned on it constantly sends Pin 8 format signals which turn on the recorder.

Also, if the STB is turned on it also sends Pin 8 triggers out of its Video-out every 2 or 3 seconds. I'm not sure why, but it is evident because turning on the STB manually with the recorder in Auto Start starts the recorder :confused:

So the only way to make RGB recordings from the STB TV-out is to leave the STB on (its timer will change channels and 'lock' the machine as required) and use the recorder's timer as well.