1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 'ext link' question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by luca, Oct 15, 2004.

1. luca

luca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone -- I hope you do not mind a question from a profane. Please forgive my non-technical jargon! :)

I have a Panasonic DVD/HD recorder with the 'ext link' function that will initiate recording when a program which is in my Sky box "personal agenda" is transmitted. I also have a Thomson TV: the Sky box is connected to the recorder that is then connected to the TV.

The Sky box is very smart: if I turn it on my self, it manages to turn on the TV (which is in stand-by). When I turn it off, the TV goes off as well. Wow! :clap:

It is even smarter: if it turns itself on because a program in my agenda is being transmitted, it will NOT turn on the TV -- super-WOW :clap: :clap: It figures that I'm not in front of the TV and it leaves it off.

Now, the problem is that the recorder is only halfway smart... it will start recording, but then it will pop-up that silly "I'm recording... ok/cancel" message that will turn on the TV in the middle of the night. Most annoying! Is there anyway to have the recorder stay "silent", just record the program and not turn on the TV just to show a useless message?

Thank you so much for your expert advice, I just hope that I was able to explain!!

Luca :hiya:

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Don't leave the tv in standby wasting power?

The trouble with the external link start up is that you will often loose 30 seconds or maore at the program start, whilst the recorder wakes up. You will also clip many programs at the end due to over-run. This is incredibly annoying, almost as annoying as the new policy on the sci-fi chanel to talk over the last 30 seconds of the program, before the titles start, to plug the next one and try and keep you before you turn over, invariably drowning out the punch line at the end!

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I agree - Pioneer is the same, so you have to set the timer of the external device to allow for this.
    I thought this would be a really useful feature but I'm disillusioned somewhat because when the recorder and the external box have both turned off after a recording, the recorder is still in External mode (Obviously it has to be in case another recording is in the pipeline).
    Then if you turn on the external device without first cancelling the External Link on the recorder, the recorder immediately starts recording because the external device Video output comes on and triggers it.
    I've actually thought of putting a Pin 8 switch in the scart to stop this, but I don't think my soldering is up to it!
    So I've gone back to setting both timers :)

4. luca

luca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, this is what I'm currently doing, but I've noticed that the on/off button of my TV is wearing out :rolleyes: . Not that the TV is old at all, but I have a feeling that the button was not designed to be actually used :laugh: . And so I was looking for a way to stop the recorder from popping up its pointless message.

For this I must say that here in Italy we are pretty lucky. Sky has made it so that the box wakes up approximately 1 minute before the program actually starts and goes back to sleep a couple of minutes after. It works like a charm for movies, and mostly ok for programs on Fox. But I agree with you that it can't be used for programs on the National TV, which do not go on air at scheduled times. For those I have to set up timer recording -- and timer recording does not pop up the silly message!

That leaves me wondering why ext link recording does... :lease:

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Turn off the TV at the wall or pull the plug.

6. luca

luca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pulling the plug is a good idea -- that will save the on/off button. It's just too bad that I have it behind the cabinet that holds the TV and the other stuff... oh well, I was just hoping that there was a way to stop the recorder from showing up the message...