Panasonic EX99 - backing up the HDD

ChrisJBrady

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just purchased a EX99 for digitising archival VHS tapes - both professionally recorded and amateur.

I have just read through the manual and I am alarmed by two things to do with the hard-drive.

1/ It is clearly stated that the hard-drive is fragile and not suited to storing archival recordings. I thought that hard-drives were the only reliable media for the storage of archival digital files. If not then what is? I understand that DVDs / CDs are not suitable due to decomposition aka bit-rot.

2/ There does not seem to be a way of backing-up the contents of the hard-drive - as a computer professional the need for this has been drummed into me for my entire career. I regularly back-up my computers' hard drives, why can't I do this for the EX99?

As an additional question I have tried dubbing some programmes onto a RAM disk. Then I have tried to read this disk on a computer. It plays OK but all of the chapters / programmes are all joined into one long VRO file. How can I split this up into the original separate programmes? I don't want to get into video conversions because these are archival recordings and I need to keep the quality as high as possible.

Thank you.

P.S. In case you're wondering I am using newly purchased (and discounted) domestic equipment for this project because I was refused funding to get the work done more professionally. Now I have to save the VHS recordings before they deteriorate further.

Last edited:
Someone suggested using the HDMI output of the E99 connected to the HDMI input of a laptop / PC? Would that work?

You're in the wrong sub forum here, maybe a mod could move?

Laptops don't have hdmi in only out. If you want to backup VHS to your pc you need a USB video capture device and appropriate software.

Hard drives in DVD players are made for time shifting rather than archiving footage, you should be able to back up to DVD though.

You're in the wrong sub forum here, maybe a mod could move?

Laptops don't have hdmi in only out. If you want to backup VHS to your pc you need a USB video capture device and appropriate software.

Hard drives in DVD players are made for time shifting rather than archiving footage, you should be able to back up to DVD though.

Sorry you seem to deem this to be in the wrong sub-forum. I thought this forum was about DVD recorders. Hence the title "Backing Up an EX99 HDD"

This is not what I was asking about: "If you want to backup VHS to your pc you need a USB video capture device and appropriate software."

Never mind I shall find a more tolerant and helpful forum.

This is for DVD hacks there is another for DVD recorders

I am not really sure what you want

Sorry you seem to deem this to be in the wrong sub-forum. I thought this forum was about DVD recorders. Hence the title "Backing Up an EX99 HDD"

This is not what I was asking about: "If you want to backup VHS to your pc you need a USB video capture device and appropriate software."

Never mind I shall find a more tolerant and helpful forum.

Unfortunately, you have hastily taken misplaced offence from someone who went to the trouble of addressing your issue in a way that was intended to be helpful.

Yes was in the DVD hacks forum tbh think the op is long gone now.

Well, if the OP is still around, the EX99 is fitted with a DVD drive - that's where you 'back up' the hard drive to. Transfer VHS to HDD, edit it there, copy to DVD.

Then, if you want, copy the files from DVD to PC for another backup. Or make more than one DVD from the edited VHS on the HDD. Then delete from the HDD to make room for more VHS

The OP has visited since and does know that this thread has been moved here... but has obviously chosen not to take the matter further.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom