Panasonic EX87 Recording Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by joroma, Jan 20, 2008.

1. joroma

joroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In my local store yesterday comparing the Panny DMR-EX87 and Sony HXD970 and noticed that if you try and use the EPG on the Panny to record a programme that has just started it will not record so you have to select the right channel use the instant record button and then set the record period by which time you've missed the bus into town! With the Sony you could use the EPG without any problem once a programme had started. I was only "playing" in the shop and can anyone confirm this is the case or is there a workaround. The salesman didn't have a clue ( surprise surprise ).

Also is it true that the digital tuner in the Panny is better than the one in the Sony?

These two factors will influence which one I buy (unless I toss a coin!).

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,048
    Yes - This behaviour is normal.
    It is not necessary to choose the channel. The EPG does that for you.
    When a current programme requires recording you can press record or invoke the instant timer and the recording starts immediately.

If you wish you can enter timer programming and commit it as a timer which will then take over.

As to the tuner issue... define better? There is no obvious difference of which I am aware.

There is a current thread regarding some isolated problems with the Sony tuner but it remains to be explained what the problem is.