• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic EX773

IAN P

Distinguished Member
Hi peeps.

Ok, my JVC MX10 is dead so it's upgrade time. My questions, 'cause I can't find squat anywhere else, are ......

I know the EX773 can take an RGB scart in/output from a standard Sky box. Can it output a 576i (or better) signal through it's HDMI output to my amp to view via my projector? Or will having Scart and HDMI output together cause it problems? Scart to TV. HDMI to amp > projector. Not watched together of course.

I used to use the Component output on the JVC to do exactly that through my Sony amp. Upscaled to 1080p pretty good too. Just a case of selecting Component out via the menu.

Or do I find another recorder with Component?

Ta much.

Gavtech

Administrator
I know the EX773 can take an RGB scart in/output from a standard Sky box. Can it output a 576i (or better) signal through it's HDMI output to my amp to view via my projector? Or will having Scart and HDMI output together cause it problems? Scart to TV. HDMI to amp > projector. Not watched together of course.

I used to use the Component output on the JVC to do exactly that through my Sony amp. Upscaled to 1080p pretty good too. Just a case of selecting Component out via the menu.

Or do I find another recorder with Component?

Ta much.

There is a degree of unpredictability here.

The one certainty is that the unit cannot and will not output RGB and HDMI simultaneously.

The RGB is a single feed which is used and switched either to the scart output OR is used as the source to feed across the HDMI interface. [ ...across which it will upscale to the maximum capability of your displays resolution. ]

The uncertainty arises because of the HDMI switching and that will probably be circumstantial according to your installation.
Some reports indicate that the HDMI interface will relinquish the RGB and switch it back to scart once switched away from it.
This gets even more complicated with an amp ... and presumably whether the amp is powered.

Various link setting will no doubt also impact on this complex behaviour.

I'm afraid this will be a 'suck it and see'

IAN P

Distinguished Member
Aye, the amp would be powered when viewed through projector but not when TV is on.

Any Panasonic recommendations with component?

Gavtech

Administrator
Any Panasonic recommendations with component?

Component has been phased out from all Panasonic units for some time.
All such analogue connections will disappear from equipment sold after Dec 31 2012.

I am trying to understand the problem here. - You don't have to have a scart connection to the TV at all.

Is it that sometimes you wish to watch the output via projector and other times on TV?
If so, if the amp does not have direct-able outputs, why not feed the output to a scart switcher that could feed either the TV or the projector?

IAN P

Distinguished Member
Component has been phased out from all Panasonic units for some time.
All such analogue connections will disappear from equipment sold after Dec 31 2012.

I am trying to understand the problem here. - You don't have to have a scart connection to the TV at all.

Is it that sometimes you wish to watch the output via projector and other times on TV?
If so, if the amp does not have direct-able outputs, why not feed the output to a scart switcher that could feed either the TV or the projector?

Ok, TV is an old Philips widescreen with RGB enabled scarts.

Sky goes into the recorder via an RGB scart and then recorder outputs an RGB signal to TV.

Day to day viewing, no amp, no projector.

When there's an event on I use the amp and projector.

Old JVC recorder output a component signal to the amp, and then amp upscaled Sky to 1080p.

Can the HDMI output do the same as my trusty old component cable used to?

Gavtech

Administrator
Ok, TV is an old Philips widescreen with RGB enabled scarts.

Sky goes into the recorder via an RGB scart and then recorder outputs an RGB signal to TV.

Day to day viewing, no amp, no projector.

When there's an event on I use the amp and projector.

Old JVC recorder output a component signal to the amp, and then amp upscaled Sky to 1080p.

Can the HDMI output do the same as my trusty old component cable used to?

I'm reasonably sure this arrangement would be alright ... provided the amp is actually OFF and the HDMI interface is therefore 'dead'... when you are wanting to use the TV route solely, you should get RGB through scart.... I'm just not in a position to guarantee it.

IAN P

Distinguished Member
According to the destruction booklet, if you utilise the HDMI connection you lose the RGB scart signal. Hmmmm, so it's possible I might get a CVBS signal through the scart which I could put up with I 'spose.

Nice bit of kit by the way.:thumbsup:

Gavtech

Administrator
According to the destruction booklet, if you utilise the HDMI connection you lose the RGB scart signal. Hmmmm, so it's possible I might get a CVBS signal through the scart which I could put up with I 'spose.

Yes - but if you have whatever is connected to the HDMI connection switched off then the HDMI connection should be dead [ as if effectively disconnected ] and therefore RGB should revert to scart.

Have you tried it?

[CVBS is always available ]

IAN P

Distinguished Member
Yes - but if you have whatever is connected to the HDMI connection switched off then the HDMI connection should be dead [ as if effectively disconnected ] and therefore RGB should revert to scart.

Have you tried it?

[CVBS is always available ]

No mate not yet. I didn't want to switch all my gear on just to prove a point. I'll wait until it's "event" day.

Some fancy power saving modes on this machine too.

Recording to HDD in RGB was the main priority.

IAN P

Distinguished Member
Some interesting findings.

DVD-R discs that were burnt on my old JVC and not finalised seem to play without a hitch on this Panny. Even gives the option to finalise on the Panny.

I was under the impression you couldn't do that?

Albeit they were burnt at normal speed so that may have been why?

I thought I'd lost several hundred so I'm chuffed.

Also, automatic finalising of DVD-R's is a neat touch when copying from the HDD to disc.

Seems to be a decent bit of kit.:thumbsup:

Gavtech

Administrator
Some interesting findings.

DVD-R discs that were burnt on my old JVC and not finalised seem to play without a hitch on this Panny. Even gives the option to finalise on the Panny.

I was under the impression you couldn't do that?

Albeit they were burnt at normal speed so that may have been why?

I thought I'd lost several hundred so I'm chuffed.

Also, automatic finalising of DVD-R's is a neat touch when copying from the HDD to disc.

Seems to be a decent bit of kit.:thumbsup:

JVC and Panasonic both come from the same stable [ Matsush*ta ] so they both support the same pre-finalised state.

'Good to hear that you like the machine.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom