Panasonic EX77 - skipping finalising!

Oyster24

Established Member
Reaction score
I tried to copy some footage I have on my Panasonic E77 to disc. I did all the usual things and it copied OK but when it was finalising it jumped from 69% to 100% and said "Click OK to finish". On trying the disc out on my other DVD player, the disc had the final track missing. Also the recorder was very noisy.

Any thoughts?

I seem to have lost my thread on this subject!

When I copied some footage recently the finalising skipped to the end from about 69%. Consequently when I tried to play it on another DVD player the final track was unplayable!

Any thoughts?

I seem to have lost my thread on this subject!

When I copied some footage recently the finalising skipped to the end from about 69%. Consequently when I tried to play it on another DVD player the final track was unplayable!

Any thoughts?

That's because you originally posted [ correctly ] in the DVD section where I have now moved this post to join it.

These symptoms need clarification... because I am not used to the finalising screen having any percentages present... only the actual copy screen normally shows a percentage.

It tends to suggest that there may be a problem with the last item - on the hard disc.

I suggest - if you have any RW discs [to avoid wasting discs] that you try copying that item using the advanced copy screen [ Functions / To others / Advanced copy] .. and note if there are any symbols beside it in the copy screen... and whether it will copy OK or not.

[ You say E77 but I presume it is EX77?]

Further thoughts- You say the Title was 'unplayable'... Was it therefore listed as present in the disc menu?... Also - What format type of disc was it?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Yes it is an EX77 - sorry.

When I tried to play it on the other DVD player (a combi) the last track sais "invalid ID", but it was present on the menu. It played on my Panasonic!

I am using DVD-R - good idea about the -RW will try that.

One thing I didn't tell you was that I recorded in High Speed - I might try recording in a lower speed.

Since I first contacted the forum, my friend has played - or attempted to play - a disc I recorded and it was pixelated and breaking up on occasional tracks. It was the same footage I was copying for myself.

Does this info help at all?

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is an EX77 - sorry.

When I tried to play it on the other DVD player (a combi) the last track sais "invalid ID", but it was present on the menu. It played on my Panasonic!

What was the original source for this title? Was it an Off-air recording?
Has it been edited? Anything unusual about it that you are aware of?
I am using DVD-R - good idea about the -RW will try that.

One thing I didn't tell you was that I recorded in High Speed - I might try recording in a lower speed.
Try both.
Since I first contacted the forum, my friend has played - or attempted to play - a disc I recorded and it was pixelated and breaking up on occasional tracks. It was the same footage I was copying for myself.

This last problem usually is indicative of poor compatibility with the machine that burned the disc or just a poor quality disc.

I have just remembered that I cannot use DVD-RW on the Panasonic as it only takes DVD-R or DVD-RAM. I have some Ram discs so will try that. I can use the Ram discs on my DVD drive on the computer.

The track in question was recorded on my BT Vision box and then transferred to the Panasonic just as you would record a programme normally. It is only a short clip, about three minutes long. I have done this before with no problem.

I was using a Verbatim disc. They are usually good.

Anyway thanks for your suggestions. I am off to give it a try.

I have just remembered that I cannot use DVD-RW on the Panasonic as it only takes DVD-R or DVD-RAM. I have some Ram discs so will try that. I can use the Ram discs on my DVD drive on the computer.

I have an EX-77 and can assure you that you can use DVD-RW on this machine as well as others, see Page 74 of the manual for a list of compatible discs.

I have copied the footage with both High Speed and Standard Speed but it still doesn't work! I am wondering if it is the recorder which is the problem.

I have copied the footage with both High Speed and Standard Speed but it still doesn't work! I am wondering if it is the recorder which is the problem.

Can you define' doesn't work' because earlier you said the result would at least play on the Panasonic.

Also are there any flags or symbols next to the title when selected in the copy screen?

It is doubtful there is any problem with the recorder. There may be a HDD glitch in the recording or it may have copy once protection but the copy screen flags may tell you something - if present.

Is the original recording still available on the BTV to transfer again?

Sorry, I forgot to look for the flags.

Yes, I still have the original copy on the BTV.

Back later.

I'm back from lunch!

When I say "doesn't work" I mean that I tried to put it onto my TMPGEnc program which usually takes footage quite easily but it rejected it - invalid file! In both speeds. I will have a go copying the rest of the footage separately and try again. It is driving me potty!

Last edited:
I have discovered that it is the third clip which is making it difficult to copy. I tried DVD Decrypter and it stopped at 67% which is almost the same place as before. I am going to try and copy the rest of the clips, leaving out that one and see what happens.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom