Panasonic EX77 - Recording Widescreen.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Badger37, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Badger37

Badger37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    After reading lots of opinions and advice here, It's looks like I'll be buying a Panasonic EX77 soon.
    I'm slowly working my way down a list of 'hows' and 'ifs'...

My research has shown that some people have had issues with the aspect ratio of their recordings. Both to the HDD and DVD.

Can someone please confirm that if a program is in WS (16:9) then this will be correctly recorded, and can also be burnt to DVD retaining this setting?

Rightly or wrongly, I've read that the preceding adverts or program can 'mess up' the intending recording if they are being transmitted in other formats.

Thanks in advance...

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Yes the machine should record and successfully burn [ to DVD-R and DVD-RW media ] a widescreen programme.... but....

The situation is this: The recording takes on the ratio of the material being recorded right at the beginning of the recording... and, no matter what the rest of the programme material is, it will stay in that aspect ratio.
    It is this effect that can produce the 'wrong' ratio for recordings under certain circumstances.

Bear in mind that the the only difference between a 16:9 recoding and a 4:3 recording is a flag ... and all that flag does is instruct your TV to automatically change aspect ratios... which is something that you should be able to do manually if the need arises.

3. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    i've recorded programmes in 4:3 and 16:9 formats from freeview, and they are both perfect on playback from the hdd.

i then chopped out the adverts and the bits at the start and ends of the programmes and then put them both onto 1 dvd, and both are the same formats as they should be, the first one is 4:3 and the second is 16:9, so i haven't experiened this problem (yet).

4. SuperSeven

SuperSeven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I believe this isn't a problem if you are recording from an external source like Sky.

My experience of the EX77 is that although it is multi-format is certainly prefers DVD-R discs for burning.

5. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    It does happen with external sources like Sky.

It may not be a problem but it is certainly an inconvenience which can be easily rectified by using the Aspect Ratio button on the television remote control.

6. SuperSeven

SuperSeven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    In 3 months I've not had any screen format issues when recording via the scart. Do you record from Sky using the COPY function on the Sky box?

7. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    You have been extremely fortunate if you have not encountered the Aspect Ratio inconvenience yet. If you wish to see what most other owners of the EX77 have found to be a nuisance then I suggest you try recording some ITV3 from the Digibox. There are plenty of 4:3 programs followed by 16:9 adverts for you to test the Aspect Ratio capabilities of this machine. Start your recording in a 4:3 program and let it continue through a 16:9 advert break and then try starting in a 16:9 advert break and let it continue into a 4:3 program. Watch this live on your television and then watch the recordings. Can you spot the difference ?

Also note that if using Autoview and the EX77 starts recording before the Digibox wakes up then the recording will be in 4:3 by default.