Panasonic EX750 Owners Thread

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're asking.

Do adjustments change in real time as they are being altered, so reds increase/decrease in intensity?

Zero does not soften the image on Panasonic TV's. It is the recommended setting.
By who? No professional reviewer (John Archer, etc) recommends it.
Check any Test Card (eg BBC HD on YouTube) and look at the fine lines up close and you'll see how much its softening the image.

By who? No professional reviewer (John Archer, etc) recommends it.
Check any Test Card (eg BBC HD on YouTube) and look at the fine lines up close and you'll see how much its softening the image.
Well, AVForums own Steve Withers in his calibration settings video states sharpness should be set to "0". I believe Sony TV's "no sharpness" setting is 50 and can be adjusted above and below this mark, but for this TV it is "0".

Why are you using BT1886???
My understanding is that BT.1886 is for all High Definition (that is, ITU-R BT.709) video, not UHD.
I like it :0) It has a more cinematic look to it on my tv. Depth and texture is just a little better with my settings. Doesn't seem to be a panacea though - 2.2 looks better with some settings and with different movies.

Sharpness default is 50.

Do adjustments change in real time as they are being altered, so reds increase/decrease in intensity?
Yes, as I'm turning them down I'm watching the scenes with very low ire and I'm adjusting it down until the tinge disappears. That's when I stop.
However, turning the red down with the 2 point is also affecting the other ire levels and making them a little too green. Doing it by eye is a real pita.

Will Apple TV 4K pass Dolby Digital 5.1 via HDMI to optical out?

It works for my Fire TV 4K and Youview but not Xbox.

Sharpness default is 50.
In True Cinema mode sharpness default is 30. Gives things a more 3d sense. But I start to feel an artificiality at that setting. If left at default settings I think 30 makes up for some issues and brings a bit of life into it. A lot of online calibrations for the Panny LEDs have left it at 30.
With better gamma and white balance though I have tried 20 which tests better using the Spears and Munsil disc. But the most accurate setting does seem to be 0. With 20 I can detect slight motion issues in some programmes. With anything above that, certain artifacts become apparent on the test images. I think when I was focusing on sharpness with the test images, 9 was the highest I could set it to without introducing any kind of artifacts at all.
It's an old argument this one. It comes down to what people prefer. Different eyes and different brains perceive things differently.

I like it :0) It has a more cinematic look to it on my tv. Depth and texture is just a little better with my settings. Doesn't seem to be a panacea though - 2.2 looks better with some settings and with different movies.
Fair enough! :)

Sharpness default is 50.
SHARPNESS:
Correct setting:
‘0’ for Samsung, Vizio, LG, Sharp. ‘50’ for Sony and for Samsung TVs in PC mode.

Adjusting a TV’s sharpness setting changes how it defines distinct objects on the screen. The proper sharpness setting will make things look about the same as they do in real life. Too much will exaggerate contours and lines. It's very rare for a TV to have the option to remove sharpness from an image, which is why only two images are compared here.

Because high levels of sharpness make an image ‘pop,’ it’s not uncommon for a TV’s picture to be over-sharpened by default.
How To Calibrate Your TV
American site (hence no mention of Panasonic)

A lot of online calibrations for the Panny LEDs have left it at 30.
I imagine that when Steve did his calibration of the Panny EX750 he derived the sharpness setting of "0" from his calibration software pattern generator. I dont think he just made it up. If his calibration resulted in a 20,30 or 100 seting for sharpness he would have had that setting in the video.

I imagine that when Steve did his calibration of the Panny EX750 he derived the sharpness setting of "0" from his calibration software pattern generator. I dont think he just made it up. If his calibration resulted in a 20,30 or 100 seting for sharpness he would have had that setting in the video.
Yes, I always have the sharpness at 0 on my Pannys. Just yields a more natural picture. Some tv programmes do look soft, but that's the way they are.
Watching the new Thor again and using Steve Withers settings with my tweaked Blackwiggle white balance and rec2020 remaster on. Definitely better than what I had before for this movie. I'm wondering if Steve deliberately turned the brightness to -1 just to solve the flashing. It is technically incorrect as 0 gives black at the 0 ire. But I'm not noticing any crushed detail at the moment. Whereas with HD I am noticing crushed blacks using his HD settings.

In True Cinema mode sharpness default is 30. Gives things a more 3d sense. But I start to feel an artificiality at that setting. If left at default settings I think 30 makes up for some issues and brings a bit of life into it. A lot of online calibrations for the Panny LEDs have left it at 30.
With better gamma and white balance though I have tried 20 which tests better using the Spears and Munsil disc. But the most accurate setting does seem to be 0. With 20 I can detect slight motion issues in some programmes. With anything above that, certain artifacts become apparent on the test images. I think when I was focusing on sharpness with the test images, 9 was the highest I could set it to without introducing any kind of artifacts at all.
It's an old argument this one. It comes down to what people prefer. Different eyes and different brains perceive things differently.

What are the artefacts?

So should the 290b also work on the EX750 ?

Panasonic EZ952 4K OLED TV owners and discussion thread

Just popping in from the OLED forum to bring news... My dealer has just confirmed that the Panasonic support patch that updates our OLEDs to 280b also works for your EX750s (which isn't surprising, as it updates the same MSTAR framerate converter which is shared between both platforms). He's just updated a 50" and a 75" EX750 to 280b.

280b cures the stutter and motion problems seen on 25Hz material (Freeview, Freesat, some streaming content - eg Black Mirror S4 and The Crown on Netflix). The previous patch to 270b cured this with IFC off, but 280b appears to work with IFC on also.

If you want to give it a go, it can be downloaded here: Dropbox - SDDL.SEC

It's extremely annoying that Panasonic UK service refuse to send out / deny knowledge of this patch when it's freely being sent out by other Panasonic service channels abroad. It's a single unified patch for all territories and platforms using this MSTAR motion processor.

Yes, it should - but strangely it's not listed in the 750 support page. Judging from what others have said, Panasonic don't seem to believe that the 750 has the same problem as the OLED, despite it being the same processor. If you stick it on a USB stick you could try it, it won't allow you to upgrade if it's not compatible.

OLED Forum says it makes stutter worse on hdr 24p test with IFC off.

1080p Pure Direct fixes 50Hz issue anyway.

Panasonic have acknowledged the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the artefacts?
Depends on the file. I think it's the S&M one that has some mesh patterns embedded into the outside grey frame. These are supposed to be barely visible but start to become obvious when sharpness is too high. Other test files have numerous patterns that start to change colour if the sharpness is too high. And then there's the added noise at the outside of lines.
Beyond that, an artefact of tweaking sharpness is perceptible slight artificiality in motion and realism that you notice when watching programmes - a too-3dness at times, like 2 2d objects rather than a 3d. Can oddly make objects seem a bit flatter than 3d. And pictures that already have edge enhancement on them seem worse.
I noticed all of the above with sharpness at 20. But watched an episode of Holby and it looked great - although the 'great' was only temporary because the next thing I watched looked worse.
I've tweaked sharpness many times in the past with the Panasonics and always with the same results: artificially enhances some things and makes other things look worse.
So I just leave it at 0.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yes. Noticing far less of the judder than before. Only seen it a few times since the update last week. Hasn't eliminated it, but has certainly decreased both the frequency and level/obviousness of it.

Can’t say i see it at all using 1080p Pure Direct. I am really fussy about motion too. Have you tried this, from external source?

I have Sharpness set at 0 now and it has lifted the colour detail.

Can’t say i see it at all using 1080p Pure Direct. I am really fussy about motion too. Have you tried this, from external source?

I have Sharpness set at 0 now and it has lifted the colour detail.
Yes, it's only been present on terrestrial tv via the dvb tuner of the tv. I think a couple of Netflix programmes had it a while back but that was confined to single episodes. No problems at all via external sources. 1080p direct from my br recorder has not been affected.

Given the vast amount of tweaks I've done - and there are many more combinations which I'm sure eventually could create a reference quality picture - I'm going to suggest another. And hopefully this will be my last :0)
Take my white balance settings from post 1944 - these are Blackwiggle's calibration settings tweaked by me to correct excess red. I.e. his settings with red at +5 instead of +15. Input that into True Cinema and Cinema.
Then follow exactly the settings given by Steve Withers in his video at: Panasonic TX-65EX750B Best TV Picture Settings
Et voila! You have a perfectly watchable tv.
Bear in mind that when you change settings a lot this set may give some backlight bleed on left and right sides which wash out colour. In my experience this should settle down. So don't rush to judge for at least a few days.
These settings don't test entirely accurately - but for real world watching, I've been happy with a couple of HDR movies, day and night tv and HD bluray.
Until someone does some proper calibrations for the different modes and gammas with the abc at mid or max, I'll probably stick with this. Never say never though :0)
Now, will someone please do a proper 3d calibration for Cinema, True Cinema or Custom?
Using Dynamic or Normal will never be very accurate because they can't calibrate the white balance - which is essential for a decent viewing experience imo. I've used the corrected white balance in TC with backlight and contrast at 100 with fairly decent results through my 3d3 Universal glasses. But I'm sure there's a better setting out there somewhere :0)

Quick question. Any ideas if eARC and HDR10+ would be available on the EX750 models?

Waiting for the price to fall Easter time or near world cup to buy the 75"..... We are big 3D fans and we are looking to move from a Benq1070 projector @ 92" to this TV or the Samsung MU8000 - no 3D but 1k less :confused:

George

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom