Panasonic EX750 Owners Thread

atmoscinema

I have ABC control off all the time and still have very deep blacks.

I dont like the way ABC switches up/down the contrast with the credits on and off, plus some menu graphics too.

I use blackwiggle calibration, ABC off, Backlight 80, Contrast 100 for HD. I use blackwiggle in HDR too, using Custom and 2020 Colour Gamut.

Not seen any flashing.

Last edited by a moderator:

freefornow

Is your HDMI cable up to spec? Just mentioning it as i have had HDMI cables produce issues in the past.
Separate to your issue, but I could not get ARC/VieraLink to work with my receiver. Did my head in for a while. Changed the HDMI cable with a spare one that came with my PS4 and bingo. Worked straight away.

Could be worth a try. Flashing may not be tv related.

atmoscinema

Good point about HDMI cables plus, don’t forget HDMI 1 and 2 are a different spec to 3 and 4 too, which i have found to have an effect.

IvanFraser

After much tinkering I've pretty much settled on things for now.
Firstly, despite the occasional green issue on low ire scenes (below 5% which cannot be tweaked effectively), and the slightly overly red scenes in certain ire levels, I've been using Blackwiggle's settings for non-HDR, but with abc set to min. It's the best I can get for now. But it took a few days to settle in. (I've learned that using other settings and moving back and forth with them upsets the tv and I have to leave settings alone for at least a few days to stabilize).
For HDR, I am using BW's white balance and colour settings in True Cinema, but not his gamma - for that I have abc to min and gamma to 1886 without any advanced tweaking. I found the contrast at his 2.2 tweaked settings was highlighting high ire on some movies (notably Bridge on the River Kwai). 1886 seems very natural and cinematic.
I've also got 2020 remaster set to min. (Using Panasonic's UB900 set to output 12 bit 2020 - putting it to 10 bit didn't resolve the poor colour and banding issues. It's also at 4k direct.)
I have the HDR backlight and contrast still at 100, and according to my test files, they are okay, in that they do not clip whites or colour below 1000 nits (which is the recommended on my test footage).
Steve Withers recommends having contrast at 80 (to stop clipping at 4000 nits, but I need to reduce to 77 to stop clipping in that range), but I find it washes the colours a little as the backlight is so high. It also needs some abc to offset this. Setting to mid gives some colour shift for some reason and seems to affect the dynamic range by lowering the light output. I also found leaving gamma at default was okay, but just seems more 3d and alive, and real at 1886.
I've tried Steve's brightness -1 but it crushes black at very low %, but is perfect at 0 according to my test files.
The flashing is visible on some hdr movies when it goes to very low ire or black such as end credits, but haven't noticed it since I used 1886, and it doesn't interfere with actual movies.
As for using Dynamic - I have tried several permutations of that and it is just not anywhere near as good as the above. You cannot tweak the colours and the gamma is set. It might be bright and vivid, but it isn't able to reproduce the movie as intended. Colours are off and the low ire levels are far far too blue.
However, what is notable is the lack of flashing and such in dynamic mode - custom mode in mid or max is also good at preventing flashing (no idea why). And as someone pointed out, reducing brightness to -1 helps a lot too, but then the tv will crush black a little.
Please try the above settings and see what you think. For me, they are as good as it gets for now, until Mr B can work his magic on specific HDR settings.
I've not even tried the 3d since BW said he was going to do that calibration. I would love to know what others who are using Blackwiggle's settings have their 3d settings set to. I found the default settings without tweaking to be a little dull. I'm using 3d3 Universal glasses and perhaps there are better for this set (my old glasses for the vt50 would not work on the 750, so I got the 3d3 ones, which were well reviewed).
Anyone who has been able to compare 3d glasses on this set and can explain differences/recommend the best ones, would be very much appreciated.

Grovesy

Novice Member
I tried it with the settigns you gave me but its still giving me the odd flash

Turn HDR brightness enhancer on. If it is already on, turn it off. I get the same issue on Netflix app and turning that on fixes it. Strangely if I use the Netflix app on xbox one x I have to turn it off.

freefornow

Hey guys. In regards to HDR settings, I've been using the "dynamic" setting since I saw two recent reviews of the tv from major sites (the AVforums HDR settings are poor). When using the HDR test patterns on various xbox one x games like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Gears 4, it does indeed show that only the dynamic setting hits the white peak required. It's a night and day difference in quality and I had been using the "True Cinema" setting for several months.

If you're interested these are my current settings for HDR content whilst we pray Blackwiggle can come up with definitive settings for us :)

DYNAMIC

Backlight - 40 (in dark room). I'm still messing with this but I was getting eye strain at high levels. Adjust to your lighting conditions.

Contrast - 100
Brightness - -4
Colour - 60
Tint/Sharpness - 0
Colour Temp - Warm 2
Vivid Colour - On
Rec 2020 Colour Remaster - Max
Adaptive Backlight - Mid (Can put on High for more 3D pop to the image but the Whites are a little duller.
Put everything else off.

I found these results based off the test patterns hit the sweet spot and for me the results look fantastic on several 4k films I've watched since applying them.

I watched Star Trek Beyond UHD last night primarily because this may have been the most recent film i watched at a theatre. There is a scene where Kirk and Chekov are standing in a forest, and I remember the vibrancy of that scene from watching at the cinema.

The only setting on the TV that had a similar impact visually for that scene, was Dynamic.
I made some small changes to your settings:

DYNAMIC

Backlight - 100 (was watching with lights on) will tweak this down in a dark room as it is a eye burner
Contrast - 80
Brightness - 0
Colour - 60
Tint -2 (negative 2)
Sharpness - 0
Colour Temp - Warm 2
Vivid Colour - On
Adaptive Backlight - Mid (Can put on High for more 3D pop to the image but the Whites are a little duller.
Put everything else off.

The space scenes were still dark with the colours of the various gases and nebulae now clearly visible.
No other setting came close (although I will have to now try BW True Cinema settings and bump the backlight up).

YMMV and apologies to calibration purists.

Last edited:

HairyHoff

Novice Member
I watched Star Trek Beyond UHD last night primarily because this may have been the most recent film i watched at a theatre. There is a scene where Kirk and Chekov are standing in a forest, and I remember the vibrancy of that scene from watching at the cinema.

The only setting on the TV that had a similar impact visually for that scene, was Dynamic.
I made some small changes to your settings:

DYNAMIC

Backlight - 100 (was watching with lights on) will tweak this down in a dark room as it is a eye burner
Contrast - 80
Brightness - 0
Colour - 60
Tint -2 (negative 2)
Sharpness - 0
Colour Temp - Warm 2
Vivid Colour - On
Put everything else off.

The space scenes were still dark with the colours of the various gases and nebulae now clearly visible.
No other setting came close (although I will have to now try BW True Cinema settings and bump the backlight up).

YMMV and apologies to calibration purists.
Yeah, I've tried all the other configs on here and none of them reach the white peaks that dynamic does. Unless Blackwiggle can hit the white peaks in True Cinema/Custom by fine tuning the white balance, dynamic is the only way to get the full HDR range. It's a pity we can't fine tune this mode but hey looks great to me.

I've been going back and forth on contrast 100 or 80 ad decided to go with what you suggest and also dropped my tint two notches. Looks fantastic with Assassins Creed Origins on XBOX One X. Thanks for the tweaks. P.S. Star Trek Beyond was cool. No-one gives Into Darkness any props but that was my fave of the trilogy. :)

Bully o0o

I am really struggling to get a picture quality as good as my old 42” panasonic TX-L42DT50B on Sky HD, tried loads of different settings.

atmoscinema

Blackwiggle whites are miles brighter than Dynamic on mine.

Lovely colours too.

Mine is better than my old Panasonic Plasma, though that was only 720p.

I had my Sky/Virgin box set @ 1080p on HDMI 1/2, using Pure Direct and Blackwiggle calibrations. Superb picture. I think they benefit from the 10bit colour on HDMI 1/2.

All processing OFF, even ABC.

Last edited by a moderator:

freefornow

Lovely colours too.

I had my Sky/Virgin box set @ 1080p on HDMI 1/2, using Pure Direct and Blackwiggle calibrations. Superb picture. I think they benefit from the 10bit colour on HDMI 1/2.

Yeah, Dynamic does not work for me on BluRays etc-far too much of a blue tint.
But on 4KHDR content that I use (UHD Blu Ray or HDR games on Xbox) it just pops across the range. Maybe Dynamic with Rec2020 work together better?.

Last edited:

Bully o0o

Lovely colours too.

Pure direct is greyed out on mine?

atmoscinema

Sky/Virgin box has to be 1080p.

ozsat

Virgin TiVo B6 box has 2160p in Netflix and TiVo.

SkyQ is 2160p for some films and sport content.
if i rmember virgin boxes only go up to 1080i unless its via a pass through?

but i dont know about the new v6 box

Bully o0o

My sky HD box is only 1080i, even freeview and freesat HD looks better on my old panasonic TX-L42DT50B, cripsper, sharper images and colours, and no white haze.

atmoscinema

Sky Q 1080p, Virgin V6 1080p pass through.

Even Freeview/Youview box have 1080p.

HD channels are a must.

SD via HDMI is poor compared to via SCART.

Picture is miles sharper with loads more detail than my old Plasma.

ozsat

SkyQ has to be set to 2160p for their UHD stuff - Virgin V6 has 2160p passthru but Netflix seems to get forced to 2160p using V6.

Older Sky and VM boxes do NOT have 2160 option.
Sky Q 1080p, Virgin V6 1080p pass through.

Even Freeview/Youview box have 1080p.

HD channels are a must.

Bully o0o

My sky HD box is only 1080i, even freeview and freesat HD looks better on my old panasonic TX-L42DT50B, cripsper, sharper images and colours, and no white haze.

I’m comparing my old TX-L42DT50B with my new TX-50EX750B, watching built in Freeview/freesat and Sky HD+ box.

Rousey40

If you want a good example of just how impressive the blacks can be I'd recommend watching Mama on Netflix. Watched it last night and was really impressed.

MrThaDj

These are my calibrated settings for the 50 inch version of the EX750 - Rec709

Picture preset: Custom
Backlight: 40
Contrast: 90
Colour: 50
Sharpness/Tint/Brightness: 0
Colour Temp: Warm 2
ABC: Low

Everything else OFF

White Balance:
R-G 0
G-G -2
B-G +8
R-C -6
G-C 0
B-C -8

10 ire
+13 0 -5

20 ire
+9 0 -6

30 ire
+10 0 -6

40 ire
+11 0 -5

50 ire
+13 0 +5

60 ire
+14 0 -4

70 ire
+11 0 -4

80 ire
+9 0 -10

90 ire
+6 0 -17

100 ire
+8 0 -15

Colour Management ( not mentioned values remain at 0)

R Hue +3
R Sat +2
G Hue -1
G Sat +14
G Lum -1
B Hue -3
B Sat -7
B Lum -2
C Hue +2
C Sat +4
M Hue +12
M Sat +6
M Lum +6
Y Sat +3

Gamma: BT1886

Last edited:

Bully o0o

These are my calibrated settings for the 50 inch version of the EX750.

Everything else OFF

White Balance:
R-G 0
G-G -2
B-G +8
R-C -6
G-C 0
B-C -8

10 ire
+13 0 -5

20 ire
+9 0 -6

30 ire
+10 0 -6

40 ire
+11 0 -5

50 ire
+13 0 +5

60 ire
+14 0 -4

70 ire
+11 0 -4

80 ire
+9 0 -10

90 ire
+6 0 -17

100 ire
+8 0 -15

R Hue +3
R Sat +2
G Hue -1
G Sat +14
G Lum -1
B Hue -3
B Sat -7
B Lum -2
C Hue +2
C Sat +4
M Hue +12
M Sat +6
M Lum +6
Y Sat +3

Is this for 4K/HDR viewing?

freefornow

These are my calibrated settings for the 50 inch version of the EX750 - Rec709

Everything else OFF

White Balance:
R-G 0
G-G -2
B-G +8
R-C -6
G-C 0
B-C -8

10 ire
+13 0 -5

20 ire
+9 0 -6

30 ire
+10 0 -6

40 ire
+11 0 -5

50 ire
+13 0 +5

60 ire
+14 0 -4

70 ire
+11 0 -4

80 ire
+9 0 -10

90 ire
+6 0 -17

100 ire
+8 0 -15

R Hue +3
R Sat +2
G Hue -1
G Sat +14
G Lum -1
B Hue -3
B Sat -7
B Lum -2
C Hue +2
C Sat +4
M Hue +12
M Sat +6
M Lum +6
Y Sat +3

Thanks for posting. Look forward to any HDR setting you can provide.

freefornow

Looks fantastic with Assassins Creed Origins on XBOX One X. Thanks for the tweaks. P.S. Star Trek Beyond was cool. No-one gives Into Darkness any props but that was my fave of the trilogy. :)
Watched Into Darkness last night. Fantastic HDR (the Enterprise getting hit with the blasts from the Drednaught and the chaos that ensues look fantastic with great use of HDR) and great film!!
Will pop AC:Origins back in soon. Being blown away with the Witcher 3 atm. Dear god!!!

Last edited:

atmoscinema

Watched Into Darkness last night. Fantastic HDR (the Enterprise getting hit with the blasts from the Drednaught and the chaos that ensues look fantastic with freat use of HDR) and great film!!
Will pop AC:Origins back in soon. Being blown away with the Witcher 3 atm. Dear god!!!
What did you watch it from?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Falcon Acoustics launches Q7 speaker kit
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches React soundbar with Alexa
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Dolby honoured by National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
  • By Andy Bassett