Panasonic EX75 + Standard Sky Box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jezzer256, Jan 13, 2008.

1. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Evening all

Firstly, if I were to get Sky, would I be able to connect it to my Panasonic EX75 and use the Panny to record Sky channels onto its HDD? And would I be able to use the TV Guide function etc on the Panny? How would I go about connecting it?

Secondly, as you'll probably appreciate there are quite a few undesirable channels on Sky. I don't want members of my family having access to these, so with the Sky box connected to the EX75, is there any way of 'deleting' selected channels completly?

Cheers

Jez

2. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I don't know the EX75 but I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to record from a standard Sky digibox just like you could with a VCR or DVDR. A scart lead from the digibox's VCR socket would be the way to connect it.

Another scart lead from the digibox's TV socket would then connect to the TV - so there's only one scart going to the TV.

You can PIN protect any channels you don't want the digibox to be able to access.

3. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Cool, cheers

Does anyone know of the features of the EX75 when connected to the Sky Box?

Jez

4. Kevosull

Kevosull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would run the fully wired scart from the digibox's TV out (RGB signal) to the AV2 of the Ex75 as this would allow RGB passthrough when on, or in standby mode.

Ensure you have RGB signal selected and Scart Control set to On in the Digibox's picture settings options.

Connect the AV out of the Ex75 (AV1, I believe) to an RGB enabled scart on the TV if you have one, to continue the RGB quality signal. Again, you'll need a fully wired scart here.

Then connect the VCR scart of the digibox to the TV (if you have another tv scart available). Although not necessary, it allows another method of watching sky, if for example, you've got the Ex75 recording from another input (say, Av3 on it's front). You won't need a fully wired scart here, but you can if you have one.

You can watch recorded material on the HDD on the ex75, whilst still recording from Sky at the same time, it's fairly competent at editing, allowing you to divide titles and remove adverts quite easily.

It's a very capable machine, and I'm sure if you're still wanting, others here will be able to give a much more in-depth breakdown of its capabilities.

btw, I would also recommend Verbatim DVD-R, if you would be archiving from the HDD to DVD, as they are a good brand, and the -R's need no formatting before use.

hth, ;)

Kev

Update

Also, the Ex75 can be set to auto-record Sky when the Sky box comes out of standby, say, for programs marked in the sky planner.

That way, you wouldn't need to set the Ex75's guide.

Also, bear in mind, that the Ex75 is a discontinued model, that had both an rf tuner and a digital tuner (freeview).

The replacements are the Ex77 and the Ex87, where the former has a 160gb hdd and the latter, a 250gb (iirc).

Kev