Panasonic EX75 HDMI Not Working

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Aidoscuz, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Aidoscuz

Aidoscuz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey all

I've had a Panasonic EX75 for a few months now and I love it, but I've just had my first problem with it. I was watching a programme on the hard disc over HDMI on my Samsung LE32R51BD TV when suddenly the screen just flashed and then went black. I tried re-seating the cable and turning everything off and on again, but I couldn't get any signal over HDMI on the TV. The HDMI options in the EX75 setup menu were greyed out as well, just like they are when you don't have a HDMI cable plugged in.

I assumed that there was a problem with the cable, so I brought it back to the place I got it to get it checked. They said they were too busy to test it so they just gave me a replacement! When I tried the new cable it still didn't work though.

So I presume that it has to be a problem either with the DVD recorder or the TV. Is there any way I can check which one is faulty or will I have to bring them somewhere to get them tested?

Thanks in advance

2. Aidoscuz

Aidoscuz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone?

3. farnworthless

farnworthless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you checked if it works with a SCART?

4. Aidoscuz

Aidoscuz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, it works fine with a Scart which is what I'm using now. Everything except the HDMI connection works fine.

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,051
    It may be worth trying to reset the unit back to shipping condition to clear out any corruption.

6. Aidoscuz

Aidoscuz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just tried that now but I'm still not getting any signal over HDMI.

7. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,051
    What about trying the same thing with the TV ? - as it may be that which has the problem.

8. Azuma

Azuma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Believe it or not - I have exactly the same problem which occurred on my EX-85 a few days ago (came onto the forum just now to see if I mght get any ideas on what the problem could be - and was pleasantly surprised to find a post right on the subject:) ).

The HDMI link between my EX85 and Panny PX600 has suddenly stopped working without any apparent reason. Didn't happen whilst I was watching, instead I just found the problem when I switched them on and couldn't get a picture.

I assumed there must be a fault with the cable (which I thought was odd given I hadn't touched the cable etc and everything had been working fine the day before) but took cable back to John Lewis, who checked it to my satisfaction and established it was functioning.

Like you Aidoscuz, the HDMI options on the EX are now greyed out and the Scart output is working fine. The PX600 has two HDMI ins and have tried the cable on each but no signal on either.

I don't have any other HDMI capable equipment so can't easily establish if it is the DVD or the TV which is at fault - which is problematic since the EX came from Currys and the PX600 from John Lewis (both purchased 4 months ago).

I'd like to try the reset idea, but have a question. The EX85 has been multi region enabled months ago by being flashed with a remote (from DVDchips - brilliant service BTW) - I presume that if I reset it I will lose the multi region capability?

Would really appreciate anyone's help with this - thanks.

9. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,051
    Again this would not be a matter of risk with the TV - so you could try to reset that first?

10. Azuma

Azuma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gavtech - I reset my telly back to 'shipping condition' and ... it worked!

Very happy - HDMI now working fine again and as it turns out, it wasn't the EX85's fault and rather it was the PX600's - I might post a topic over on the plasma forum noting this problem.

Cheers

11. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,051
    Good result! :thumbsup:

12. Aidoscuz

Aidoscuz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi again

I've had a look at my TV but I can't seem to find any option to reset it to factory settings. Should it be in the normal menus or do I have to go into some kind of service menu? TV's a Samsung LE32R51BD by the way

13. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,051
    I can't find anything in the manual either apart form picture resetting on page 24 .. which you could try ... but I somehow doubt it will have any effect on HDMI.

On the EX75 you have the option of two sorts of reset:

Reset to Shipping Condition

All settings, except for the security levels with the associated
    password and the time settings and the owner ID, are reset to the factory-default settings.

Reset to Default Settings

All settings, except for the programmed channels, time and disc language
    settings, the security levels including password and the remote control code
    and the owner ID, are reset to the factory-default settings.