Question Panasonic EX700 Problems

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by HeavyMachine, Nov 11, 2017.

1. HeavyMachine

HeavyMachine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there!

I recently bought a Panasonic Ex700 (at the end of September), and everything seemed to be working fine until a couple of days ago.

The TV has started having some crazy pixelation issues? There are random black and blue-ish gray shadows in the corners of the screens during dark scenes. The dark scenes themselves have become heavily pixelated. Strange light bars are now coming in across the screen. During anything with an aspect ratio the image seems to bleed into the black bars.

I've attached plenty of images. The issues occur when using both my PS4 and any of the TV's built in apps, both in SDR and HDR. They even appeared on the Panasonic logo when I did a factory reset.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with it? :(

Attached Files:

2. georgetsang

georgetsang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I have EX700 but I don’t have this problem. Seems rather strange.... does it still appear when you do a reset?

The only problem I have with the set (I’ve had it for a couple months now) is that using the steaming apps - a hissing/buzzing noise can be heard throughout. Quiet scenes it’s very noticeable ... whilst normal sound scenes you can definitely still hear it.

Do you have that problem?

3. HeavyMachine

HeavyMachine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It’s very distracting and makes dark scenes virtually unwatchable sometimes. I’ve done a reset but to no avail sadly.

Can’t say I have any issues with the streaming apps at all, or any sound issues

4. HeavyMachine

HeavyMachine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Had an engineer come out to it today from John Lewis.

Going to put a new screen on it! Hopefully that'll be the end of my TV woes. Seems a bit shady considering the TV is almost brand new that it is having such issues o_O, you'd think they'd just do a straight swap, but I guess as long as it goes back to normal I'm not too fussed :smashin:.

5. georgetsang

georgetsang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    What? they didn't do a straight swap? instead, they've gone the route of dismantling it in your home and replacing the panel? wow....

Any chance you can test out the streaming app and see if you got the same problem as me?

6. HeavyMachine

HeavyMachine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll just be glad to have it working! I actually had a Samsung before this that had some crazy white flashing issues, you'd be watching tv and suddenly it was like someone was taking your picture :laugh:

Can't seem to have any luck these days :eek:

I tried out the Netflix app and I couldn't hear any strange sounds coming from the TV. However, the 4k stream makes my router go nuts :confused:

7. georgetsang

georgetsang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Thanks for trying out the app - I've been on the call to Panasonic and then subsequent call with my local authorised repairer. They've asked me to try the apps with TV connected via the network cable (as opposed to WIFI). He suspects it could be the sound of the WIFI module working - when obviously streaming huge amount of data when playing 4K. I am going to do that tonight and see what happens...

apparently if it is this - then the WIFI module will need to be replaced. If that doesn't solve it, then a new board will be installed instead.

8. HeavyMachine

HeavyMachine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well at least you're getting it sorted!

Still waiting on them giving me a call to book when they are going to fit the new panel :thumbsdow

9. ChrisKz

ChrisKz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Whats the update , did you get it sorted?

10. HeavyMachine

HeavyMachine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure you really want to know

John Lewis have handled the whole thing terribly, they sent Martin Dawes who finally appeared on Monday after I kept pursuing them.

Put a new panel on, didn’t solve a thing. Then they claimed there was nothing wrong with it, and it was in the “manufacturers specifications.” They said they could take it away for another look but after messing me around repeatedly I didn’t fancy them running off with my tv.

Rang John Lewis up who simply repeated Martin Dawes. Asked to get put through to a manager who said they would contact Panasonic if I sent through some pictures. Did that and was waiting around for more phone calls back.

Rang them up again on Wednesday and got put through to an incredibly helpful employee who read through the file and was shocked at the pictures, considering they said nothing was wrong with it. She said I’d get a call back the next day once Panasonic responded.

Ten minutes later she called me back saying she convinced the manager to offer me a full refund or a new tv, and scrapped Panasonic altogether!

I really liked the TV, so chose a replacement. Got fifty quid back as it had dropped in price since too! I just feel sorry for all the folks who Martin Dawes and John Lewis are convincing to have perfectly functional, clearly faulty televisions .

11. ChrisKz

ChrisKz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Dang . Well at least you got a refund , that's good news . If I had that problem I would have chosen a different brand . Just poor service for JL .. ( lol i just bought one off them) hope you are enjoying the replacement :eek:)

12. HeavyMachine

HeavyMachine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It’s coming tomorrow, hopefully fully functioning!

To be fair I think it was Martin Dawes repair company more than John Lewis, clearly had no clue what was wrong with the tv and didn’t want to admit it. Hopefully you live in the South and don’t have to deal with them if anything goes wrong!

13. ChrisKz

ChrisKz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    LOL depends how far north you are if I am in the south , rofl .. yep to you im a damn southerner .. pmsl

14. HeavyMachine

HeavyMachine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The replacement was just as bad :eek:

A real shame as it is a lovely tv, getting a Sony now instead.

Still absolutely baffled as this. Nobody seems to be having these issues yet I've had two tvs with it. If anyone can shed light on the issue I'd be much obliged... :laugh:

15. ChrisKz

ChrisKz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    No issues with mine so far ( apart from factory settings were terrible ). My only real gripe is thats its a 60hz and not a 120hz

16. HeavyMachine

HeavyMachine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Think I've just been very unlucky, at least on the up-side I seem to be forever opening new televisions :laugh:

17. ChrisKz

ChrisKz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    LOL . you could always buy mine .. Missing my LG

18. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Haha,bet I can beat you,I'm now on my 14th tv in 4/5 months.

19. Ajaja2016

Ajaja2016

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have the same problem with Sky Q highly pitch buzzing noise coming out from the tv when changing channels in Sky cinema or coming out of a recording. The fix that I found is to change that sound on sky to standard rather than Dolby

20. steocullen91

steocullen91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    My ex700 is doing the exact same thing on dark colours. I don't know if it's broken or its just the way the tv is. If you view it directly from the center it isn't as bad but you can't do that all the time. Mine has a lot of blue and green colours on what should be the dark or shadow detail. I probably should have just kept saving and bought a sony.

21. ChrisKz

ChrisKz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Luck of the draw .. could be a bad production batch .. who is to say a sony is better ( or any other brand ) ... The TV is not perfect , but just think how many people bought these and have had no problems . Phone the retailer and ask for a refund or a repair , simple as that

22. Ajaja2016

Ajaja2016

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Steicullen I have a feeling that your picture settings might be incorrect. Believe me out the box this tv was awful and what you described was evident to me in normal mode, so please take a look at what mode you are using. I suggest you move away from normal as it’s too blue which what is causing your black to look wrong. True cinema with some tweaks will give you a very very pleasant picture particularly on movies.

23. steocullen91

steocullen91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I might do a factory reset then see what true cinema looks like unaltered. It looks fine on everything else but the dark colours. The analog channels have a horrible ghosting effect but I'm buying a tuner for my PC instead so that will bypass that problem. I'll try them settings after a factory reset and report back if it looks better.

24. Ajaja2016

Ajaja2016

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sounds like a plan

25. steocullen91

steocullen91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I reset it and it looks fine so I thought why is that then and I figured out what's happening. It's really stupid and makes no sense but it's the backlight setting. For some reason turning up the backlight has the screen doing some sort of stupid dynamic adjustment which is making it look terrible.

I have the ducktales remastered game on my Xbox one and when you pause it it has a dark overlay so I've used this for my example.

Have a look at what's happening here. One image is with the backlight on 46 and one is on 47. Notice how the brick colour just turns brown and dark instead of the lighter colour it was. I'm not sure it's right either way but when unpaused the wall is green so it makes sense that it's green in this instance.

So it's fine up until the backlight hits 47 then I have no idea what it's doing. It kind of looks like when you have a screen with a damaged cable and all the colours just go wrong or like an old version of Windows running in a really low bit like 256 colours etc.

I think it's them dynamic screen adjustments making it look like that. It seems to try to brighten the dark image for no reason when it shouldn't be doing that. It should have a setting to just display the picture and stop trying to process it and change everything.

The backlight on less than 47 is definitely the best I've seen it look yet but it makes no sense that any higher completely ruins any shadow detail as the display starts doing what it feels like. Who'd of thought backlight would be the problem you'd expect it to be brightness but not backlight.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  26. Ajaja2016

Ajaja2016

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Very good finding there, I must admit I have my backlight at 34 hence why I never experienced your issue.

27. steocullen91

steocullen91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Yeah to be fair I don't really need it that high anyway it actually hurts my eyes if I put it on 100 so it's fine with the lower backlight. It's just a bit odd that it does it. At least people know that are having this same issue to lower the backlight. You can litterally see the whole screen changing colour as soon as it hits 47. Odd one.

Happy enough with the tv now once the backlight is set lower.

28. Ajaja2016

Ajaja2016

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Absolutely, when I got mine out of the box and turned it on it was in Dynamic mode and yes I did notice the backs are grainy and bleuish, I am glad that you point Ed this out for othe users. Nice one

29. steocullen91

steocullen91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Also make sure to turn off contrast control as this is on custom by default on true cinema and also makes the blacks look grainy. Mine looks even better again with that off now :)

30. Ajaja2016

Ajaja2016

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sure thanks for the tip