Panasonic EX-75 DVD-RAM Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stigff, Sep 17, 2007.

1. stigff

stigff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've encountered a problem recording to DVD-RAM in high speed mode. This isn't a widescreen flag issue, but a problem with the recording itself. 16:9 material is squeezed beyond 4:3, i.e. when I play back the DVD-RAM I can't stretch the picture enough to get the correct aspect ratio. The TV's 16:9 setting improves things, but I'm still left with black bars on either side.

It also messes up the aspect ratio of native 4:3 material. I tested this by transferring some recordings from my old 4:3 camcorder.

This only happens with DVD-RAM. I've tried DVD-R and DVD-RW with no problems. It's also not a problem with high speed mode off.

Another thing to point out is that playback on the EX-75 itself is fine, it's only playback on my other (Panasonic) DVD player that is problematic. I spent half an hour with Panasonic's support people who suggested that the EX-75 was faultly and I should take it in for repair. However I'd like to check that this isn't a "feature" in which case it's unlikely to be fixable by a local service agent.

2. Hal_loe

Hal_loe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    A couple of questions:-

What is the source for the recordings?

What Panasonic DVD player is being used to playback the recordings and how have you got it connected up?

My Panasonic DVD Player has picture zooming functions (need to use it to playback DivX / XviD correctly) are you sure it isn't in one of these modes?

3. stigff

stigff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVD player I was playing back on was a Panasonic S53.

I tried a couple of different sources:
    1. Free to air TV direct to DVD-RAM
    2. Free to air TV to HDD then copied to DVD-RAM
    3. Camcorder output copied to HDD and then to DVD-RAM

The first scenario is the one I use most often. I've set up the EX-75 to record "Home and Away" onto DVD-RAM every day so my wife can watch it in another room!

The S53 is set up for 16:9 viewing. I tried playing around with the player's zoom options, but it doesn't really help as it doesn't change the aspect ratio.

4. Hal_loe

Hal_loe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Check whether it is the TV or the player causing the problem.

Plug the DVD Player into the same TV as the EX75 using the same connection method. You don't say what it is.

Free to air TV direct to DVD-RAM - I assume you mean Freeview?

Also what TV's are the EX75 and S53 normally connected up to?

5. stigff

stigff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Good idea to check whether the TV was at fault. Well I just tried plugging the S53 DVD player into the TV that's connected to the EX-75 (using the same connection method, i.e. S-video). Exactly the same result, so that rules out the TV.

By free to air I mean Australian free to air digital terrestial transmission which uses the same DVB standard as UK and Europe.

The TVs in question are a Pioneer PDP-507XDA and Loewe Xelos.

6. Hal_loe

Hal_loe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Ah that where it becomes a bit tricky.

You have a Plasma and a LCDTV I believe.

Both of which should be showing the full picture, no overscan as on CRT TV's.

So you would expect the black pictures to show on both the S53 and EX-75.

I have heard of UK viewers moaning that with some setups the EX75 shows the edge of the picture when recording from Freeview.

I take it you don't have a PC with a DVD-RAM drive, so you can see if the black edges are part of the picture that has been burnt onto the DVD-RAM disc?

7. stigff

stigff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is a bit more drastic than overscanning. I think there is a flaw in the machine's processing and it compresses the video material twice. Widescreen material is compressedlaterally to 4:3 for recording on a DVD which is fine because a widescreen TV stretchs it back. However I suspect it's getting over-compressed. Strange that it only affects DVD-RAMs, not other DVD types.

8. Hal_loe

Hal_loe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    No standard definition channel is actually 16:9, they are all anamorphic widescreen in the UK that is a 16:9 picture is transmitted squashed to fit in the image space of a 4:3 picture. I expect as the EX-75 is a standard definition machine it is very similar to the UK one.

Only PVR's can actually save the material as broadcast as the DVB specification is not the same as the DVD specification, resolutions and the GOP (group of pictures) differ from those allowed by DVD on the Freeview transmissions.

DVD-RAM are one of the main reasons I bought a Panasonic as they are the format that does the least re-compressing.

If you are using the discs correctly you only need one encoding process.

It could be more to do with the DVB tuner which has to be converted, I would have thought though you would see it on ever disc format, which is why I suggested looking at the contents on a PC.