Panasonic ET5 / Netflix / PCM SPDIF Issue

Zathnet

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a Panasonic TX-L37ET5B, primarily for use with Netflix and downloaded content as we do not have any aerial/cable/sky at this time.

Setup was easy with a little assistance from PicturePerfect to understand some unfamiliar features, and the picture is great and all was good in the world. :thumbsup:

However, I then came to the audio and hit a problem.
I've connected it using digital optical toslink to my Naim Uniti.
Then while in Netflix updated SPDIF from AUTO to PCM.
Bob's ya uncle, there be sound and it be good. :thumbsup:

Then the episode comes to an end and it automatically starts a new one, but there is no sound.
I check the SPDIF setting, it is still on PCM.
Change it to AUTO, still no sound.
Change it back to PCM: Bingo, sound again...

So, although it has been set to PCM and seems to stay selected as shown in the settings menu; after each episode/show/film, or on reloading Netflix the sound stops working and I need to flip it to AUTO then back to PCM again to enable sound. :nono:

I contacted Panasonic support, and somewhat surprisingly given what I'd heard, they replied very quickly with some assistance.
However, that thread has come to an end with an unsatisfactory answer. :thumbsdow

The answer basically comes down too;
'some kind of incompatibility between Netflix and the TV' and
'We do not know if or when Netflix will develop an update'

Anybody else had this issue and know of a fix?

I'm concerned, as it looks like the last update to the Netflix application was March 2011.
If I cannot fix it the TV will have to go back, as I will not be able to put up with this situation indefinitely. :censored:

I have exactly the same problem on my txl47et60b.
Did you ever get a solution?

Bought the tx-l47et60 last week and have the same issue. Any solution, now five months since last post?

After my post in August 2013, I contacted Panasonic support. They phoned me back to say that they reproduced the problem and that the issue was with Netflix. They said that they would report the problem to Netflix. I didn't argue the point - but if it was a Netflix issue wouldn't other models/manufacturers have the same issue? There must be some standards to adhere to? I now use apple tv for Netflix which is fine, but if the tv is turned off it no longer recognises it on the hdmi connection - but I know how to resolve it. I just don't think Panasonic have got it right with this tv - and no firmware updates available. I've been a loyal customer in the past - purchased lots of TVs and other products -but my loyalty has faded. I also had a problem with one of their tv recorders a few years ago, and the response was similar - not our problem but a signal issue. My next tv will not be a Panasonic.

In all i'm really satisfied with my purchase, apart from this annoying Netflix-problem. I'm sure more Viera-owners than us three experience the same thing?!

It only occurs when choosing digital oudio output. I haven't tried audio through HDMI though... My reciever doesn't support it. Sound, using the internal speakers is not a problem but it's not an option for me!

First world problem maybe but none the less annoying!

I've owned my TV since 2012, and I've been experiencing the exact same symptom & similar support experience described by Zathnet. Lack of willingness to follow through to complete resolution by Panasonic/Netflix is making me angry - this app is NOT fit for use in my view cos with NETFLIX contents(movies), it's not at all unusal that customer would want to hook up audio system for the home cinema experience. Rapidly disspipating loyalty to Panasonic brand/products/services as well. I use external DAC via SPDIF connection on TX-P50GT50B (however, based on other posts, I think it's Viera app specific and not TV model)

What was tried

1. other Apps on my Panasonic TV - no issue using the same setup
  2. Tivo box with Netflix app - no issue using the same setup i.e. Virgin_Media_TIVO<HDMI>TV<SPDIF>DAC. Sharing same 50Mbps by Virgin who has highest NETFLIX Speed Index score.
  3. Factory reset & latest firmware (1.630) upadate done as advised by Panasonic Support - did not fix/improve
TIVO as workaround will not be possible for long as I'm getting rid of it together with TV service.

Key Communication Trail
Panasonic Customer Service(CS) email response (2/10/14) - “this situation is due to the way that the Netflix application is actually outputting the sound. That is why after the episode or movie is changed you would encounter the same issue.”
Panasonic CS advised me to contact Netflix for help. I wanted to clarify ownership/accountability.

NETFLIX CS (23/10/14) clarified they don't own and develop the Panasonic's NETFLIX app. Panasonic does. Makes sense as NETFLIX provides the API (app programming interface) for 3rd party to develop on. They couldn't possibly develop all apps for all 3rd parties.

Now, I've gone back to Panasonic to confirm about their ownership of NETFLIX app, and where they are with my issue feedback that they have escalated internally (it's been 2wks+).

To the readers - Thanks for reading my long post. Please kindly share your expirience if you are also having this type of issues.

Cheers

Last edited:
octaveamp did you get any further feedback from panasonic on this issue?

Series of dissapointing dialogs and frustrations...
October end 2014 was my last dialog.
Panasonic - "In response, just as the Panasonic televisions are manufactured by Panasonic or the Sky boxes are manufactured by Sky, so is the Netflix application developed and owned by Netflix. In this instance, they should be able to provide you with the necessary details or, at least, point you in the right direction. Once again, the respective app in not developed by Panasonic. “

I did contact NETFLIX cusomter service after this but no response obtained.
Both NETFLIX and Panasonic is NOT owning up on who is the developer and owner of the NETFLIX app on the Panasonic Viera TV. Lost lots of energy so have paused it for the time being.

Octaveamp

I've just bought a Panasonic 55CX680B and have hit this issue with my Q Acoustics BT3 speakers. Horrible pulsating white noise when using the on board Netflix app. Fine from a Chromecast but would like to use the TV's app for the 4K content.

Did you find a solution?

Nothing by way of an answer, but the many problems like this reported across the forums leads me to conclude that TVs with built-in apps should be avoided. Panasonic in particular, it seems, is ready to pass the buck and not attempt to fix issues once a punter has parted with his money -- the issues with ITVHD on their Freesat recorders, recent app issues when their network hub was down, quality problems on their Freeview PVRs, and so on. To my mind, regardles of whether it's a Panasonic or Netflix issue on this occasion, the item is not fit for purpose as it doesn't work. If there's no sign of a fix, then return the TV. If customers did that, rather than waiting in vain for manufacturers to fix their bug-ridden offerings, then perhaps they'd get the message. Whilst you sit on your thumbs waiting for a fix the only winner is Panasonic in this case, because indirectly they have your money and don't really care how long a fix takes, if in indeed it will ever surface.

Clem

Nothing by way of an answer, but the many problems like this reported across the forums leads me to conclude that TVs with built-in apps should be avoided. Panasonic in particular, it seems, is ready to pass the buck and not attempt to fix issues once a punter has parted with his money -- the issues with ITVHD on their Freesat recorders, recent app issues when their network hub was down, quality problems on their Freeview PVRs, and so on. To my mind, regardles of whether it's a Panasonic or Netflix issue on this occasion, the item is not fit for purpose as it doesn't work. If there's no sign of a fix, then return the TV. If customers did that, rather than waiting in vain for manufacturers to fix their bug-ridden offerings, then perhaps they'd get the message. Whilst you sit on your thumbs waiting for a fix the only winner is Panasonic in this case, because indirectly they have your money and don't really care how long a fix takes, if in indeed it will ever surface.

Clem
I've got a feeling you may be right! Just spoken to Netflix who have suggested I ask Panasonic if they have a firmware update for me. Need to decide whether I embark on this journey or just return the TV...

Well, the saga continues apparently. Just bought a Panasonic TX58DX802b and I'm having exactly this problem, but with Amazon Instant as well as Netflix.

I have an optical cable from the TV to a Samsung amp, and if the TV's SPDIF Selection changes from PCM to Auto then I get this pulsing/laggy output. Changing it to PCM, or selecting a non-5.1 audio stream within Netflix, seems to fix it.

Amazed that 3 and a half years later this is still a problem.

A quick update in case anyone comes here to investigate a similar issue with their TV/audio setup.

I'm confident that the issue is with Netflix (albeit in combination with my particular choice of speakers - Q Acoustic BT3). The original problem (loud pulsing static noise from speakers and no discernible audio) only happened with the Amazon and Netflix apps on the TV. I complained to Amazon and Netflix about it. Amazon fixed it and Netflix didn't. I never have a problem with ANY audio from these speakers EXCEPT with the TV's Netflix app. ALL the TV's other video apps (Amazon, iPlayer, YouTube, etc) work fine. I have a Chromecast which works fine (including Netflix), a DVD player which works fine, a Chromecast Audio in the same speakers which works fine.

As I say, it's only the TV's Netflix app that doesn't work properly. And this a 4K TV with a big NETFLIX button on the remote. A TV which I bought, in part, to enjoy some 4K content, much of which is provided by Netflix. I really think I could take the "not fit for purpose" line if I really wanted to push it. However, my Netflix subscription is ending shortly so that I can pay for NowTV after my trial and carry on watching Westworld!

Hopefully, Panasonic will have learned a bit about the complexities of including these apps in their TVs. Perhaps a dumb screen is the way to go, and keep the smarts in the connected devices...

Same issue here
Panasonic 65CX700A TV and sound from Netflix app doesn't remain in PCM 2 channel format.

On 4K Firestick you can go into Audio Settings set PCM 2ch and then on your TV set HDMI Audio Output to PCM then when listening to Netflix it is in PCM all the time

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom