1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic ES20D quirkies

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mentsugi, Jul 24, 2005.

1. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    After my initial enthusiasm about this machine and delight over the DVB quality I have come across some minor issues that may mean my unit is faulty or that compromises have been made by Panasonic to get a cheaper DVDR and 1 second record function.

1. DVD-RAM not recognised - I loaded an older DVD-RAM I have used many times on my E20 machine without any problems. The ES20D first of all said it was unerasable even though the display stated it was DVD-RAM? So I tried formatting, machine would not allow it. The disk/drive was also making more noise than it has done before. Finally I noticed the remaining time indicator on the front display showed R2:05 on SP?
    Next I formatted the DVD-RAM using my JVC DVDR and reinserted it into the Panny. This time it showed NO READ on the display and thats all. Not good.
    This was becoming annoying as I would expect this sort of problems with cheaper RAM disks NOT Panny RAM disks :confused:
    Then a brainwave. I noticed that the 1 second record function means that every disk inserted must have all data on the disk loaded into the DVDR memory which is why it takes up to 45 seconds to load a new disk but 1 second from then on from power on to record.
    I turned the 1 second record function to OFF and hey presto, the unit reconised the disk and allowed me to format it to give R2:00. I have now recorded onto the disk no problem. The disk was also a lot quieter in the drive unit.
    I can only assume that there is either a problem with my Panny ES20 or this is a standard quirky with the 1 second function when it sees a disk recorded on by another DVD-RAM recorder?
    Anyway it is only a workaround if you have this problem as the 1 second record must be set to ON for the GUIDE to remain loaded with its 7 day program data.

2. New disk loading time. This is a standard characteristic on any ES10 and ES20 but to get the 1 second record time it seems to take up to 45 seconds to load all newly inserted DVD-RAM data into memory ready for any future 1 second record commands. So if you keep the same DVD-RAM in the DVDR you will enjoy benefits of quick power up etc. However if you are like me and constantly load new DVD-RAM or RW for new programs to watch while away on business trips etc this load time is a bit more of a pain. Switching the 1 second function to OFF takes the unit back to the E20 timings of about 15 seconds to read a disk from insertion but does obviously mean a longer power up from standby time of 45 seconds.
    Again the choice is out of my hands as the 1 second function must be ON for the GUIDE data to be fully available and I do use this handy helper.

3. Finally I have on a couple of occasions pressed the eject button from standby and removed the disk only for the front panel buttons to freeze. The only way to close the tray is to press the ON/OFF button which closes the tray. Not a big problem or certainly enough to go through the hassle of returning to the internet supplier...yet.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    mentsugi, It's up to you but why not repost these points in the Panasonic ES20D v Sony GXD500 thread - that way we can build up a major, easy access source of info on these two recorders. The quirks of each unit are going to carry across to the first DVB/DVD/HDD combis we are going to see later this year.