1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic ES10, Sky+ and component

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by reddevil63, Apr 23, 2005.

1. reddevil63

reddevil63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    Equipment is Samsung Plasma PS42V4, Sky+ Pace V2 Digibox and Panasonic DMR-ES10 (which has replaced the ES55) DVD Recorder....also have an amp but thats not the problem so will leave that out.

To get Sky transmission thru component out on TV I have connected as follows:

Sky Box (TV Scart - Output RGB) to ES10 AV2....not fussed about using Personal Planner so didn't bother connecting to Sky Box (VCR Scart)

ES10 AV1 to Plasma TV (AV1)

Component cables from ES10 component sockets to TV component sockets.

ES10 Connection Setup is AV1 set to video with component and AV2 set to RGB.

I read to leave ES10 on to receive component signal from Sky which I have. If I switch the ES10 to standby the RGB passthru comes into effect.

Sky Box Picture setting is set to RGB.

I get a great Sky picture using component together with progressive scan on but have noticed on Sky EPG, Channel Banners and Sky Sports News (where you see results etc) some horizontal jitter. Also the blue background seems darker! :confused:

With RGB you don't get this but PQ not as good hence the component route.

Does anyone else have this jitter and anyway to eliminate it? Or is that part and parcel of watching Sky via component output?

2. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

Remember that you're doing a conversion from RGB to component so you won't really get any real benefit from the component connection (ditto with prog scan as the orginal picture is interlaced) ... the best you can hope for is an identical quality picture. It's hardly surprising that you're seeing some slight artifacts from the conversion process so I wouldn't worry about them.

Gav

3. reddevil63

reddevil63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    Sorry I meant DVD's look good via Component and Progressive but Sky Transmissions do look better via component than RGB except the horizontal jitter which I can live with but if I could get rid of it, the better!