panasonic es10 "ext link" refusal to refund

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by barrie502, Jun 13, 2005.

1. barrie502

barrie502

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently took delivery of a Panasonic es10 dvd recorder from Digital Point following reviews on this forum.
    I had noticed the "ext link" issues but hoped the problem had been ironed out.
    Anyhow set up the unit, great, went to bed and came down to see the ext link light on. Hoped it was nothing till it happen again and again the following two days.
    E- mailed Digital Point who said send it back, but contact engineer first. Spoke to engineer who said he had four on his bench with the same problem and no help forthcoming from Panasonic. He invited me to send it in for repair and I declined.
    I demanded a refund and they agreed ( unconditionally -on an email) to include my postage costs.
    They have just phoned me to say they can find no fault and will not refund my postage and will also take 15% off the amount they will return to me! This just seems so unfair. I have done nothing wrong and am about to lose 40 or so pounds. Any advice?
    Barrie

2. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    How long have you had the machine?
    If it's quite short (a week or so..), you're entitled to a full refund under the Distance Selling Regulations - regardless of whether it's fauly or not. Unless they say otherwise on their site they should refund postage too and I don't believe they can legally charge a 'restocking' fee.
    However, if you have this unconditional refund e-mail, seek advice off Trading Standards too. Not good Customer Support at all!

3. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    How can they 'find no fault' if you didn't send it back? - I'm not familiar with this 'fault' but they have to refund if it is a fault whether it's specific to your machine (they are entitled to see it to verify the fault) or a design fault, or incorrectly described (mis-representation law) - they don't have to refund if it just doesn't do what 'you think' it ought to do - which sounds like the loop hole they're exploiting

4. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    p.s. i forgot all about the distance selling protection mentioned by sjw

5. barrie502

barrie502

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, meant to say that after the offer of a refund I sent it back, they then phoned me to say that they had checked and there was no fault present and refused a refund.
    I was outside the 7 days (just), as for the fault it is one that I have seen mentioned on this and other forums a few times recently. I purchased in the hope that mine would not be affected but it was. Problem is, if you return with a fault, but they do not accept that there is one, what can you do? I would have had it back if they had fixed it. Sadly my option was (is) accept their reduced refund or have the unit back with the same fault .
    I have e mailed Panasonic but they have not replied. I might seem bitter but really I am disappointed, all I ever wanted was a working recorder.

Barrie

6. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    7 days is only a guide. I think the wording is 'reasonable amount of time' and I feel sure you would be entitled to a refund still.
    Ask them how they've tested it. Does the problem only occur when connected to the ariel? Are they connecting it? Tell them it seems a common fault, there's definitely a problem and you will be contacting Trading Standards if you don't get a refund. You only returned because an engineer you contacted said he had a few in with the same problem. etc. etc.