Panasonic, Epson or JVC?

Donkey99

Ex Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first projector and so far the AE4000, Epson 3600/4400 and JVC 350 or X3. I love 3D so thought the X3 but some say it's naff at that so maybe I should save ££ and look at the others I've listed?

Any guidance?

Either JVC gives a better 2D experience with the new X3 definitely the better it as always comes down to your preference between cost and performance. Have a demo but I'd go with the X3 if I had the money. :)

Your budget runs from £1700-£3500 so it's a bit wide ranging.

For value for money the HD350 wins hands down.

If you want 3D there is only one choice.

If you want to be a cheapskate get the Epson TW3200 £999 forget the 3600 at £1300.

My budget is not set by what's in the bank but by what you actually need to spend for a good level of performance.

My day started by seeing the new Sim2 Crystal (35 I think) at £4500 in a THX rated cinema room. Picture was good, but even the slightest room lighting washed out the image (screen was £16k worth too)!

Went onto Super-fi and had a look at the Epson 3600 and Panasonic 4000 in a white-ish room on a cheap pull down panaramic (something like that anyway) and immediately the picture was less affected by ambient light, motion was smooth no rainbows (LCD vs. DLP). The Panasonic seemed to have better blacks but the Epson was very good overall. Therefore thinking the Epson's bigger brother the 4400 would be good. Found it at £2100 with a free Yamaha v767 (no need for this).

Read a lot about the 2 JVCs but some of the specs seem low (contrast ratio and light output) next to the Epson. I'll be using it in a reasonably well light controlled room, but not perfect so thought the Epson may do better with my less-than-blackout room?

Nowhere has either JVCs for me to demo currently but the reviews make you feel you could buy one blind and be safe. The 350 seems amazing value at around £1600.

In summary I experienced better performance from cheaper kit - hence my selection being steered by real life performance as a balance rather than £££.

The JVC HD350 is brighter in reality than the supposedly brighter AE4000,this is borne out by Kelvin1965 who has the 350 and previously owned the panny ae1000/2000/3000 and 4000.

The 350 is £1800 by the way and not £1600 unless it has fell off the back of a lorry:D

So my original point stands get the 350 for value/performance and the X3 if you want 3D and forget the rest.

I'm looking to buy my first projector and so far the AE4000, Epson 3600/4400 and JVC 350 or X3. I love 3D so thought the X3 but some say it's naff at that so maybe I should save ££ and look at the others I've listed?

Any guidance?

where have you read the X3 is naff for 3d?

i`ve had customers here who have said and I quote

"Avatar is better here than at the Imax at Bradford" :D

and more than 1 have said that actually.

if its 3d you want and I seriously ask you to have a demo of it done properely then look no further than the X3.

it will be head and shoulders above all the others you have mentioned, not that they are bad, infact they are all quite good for the money, but for me the X3 is in a league of its own at the moment.

if you want to demo one against the Epson, Panny or Sony HW20 as well, which I suggest you do, then no problems

cheers

Allan @ Ideal AV

Hi Allan,

Thank you for the reply, it was castle sound and vision in Nottingham and trusted reviews that said it had a lot of xtalk. Is it good then? My samsung 46c8000 can be bad or almost perfect with 3D dependent on the disc.

I could be interested in a deal on a white X3 and screen (electric and no wider than 220cm) with a surface suitable for a light lounge. Could you pm me details?

My budget is not set by what's in the bank but by what you actually need to spend for a good level of performance.

Not much these day's as most projectors are pretty darn good, personally I'd spend as little as possible as incremental improvements tend to cost rather a lot of money.

I'd put a roof figure of around £1k on a PJ and spend money elsewhere like a nice short break or spinning rims for your car :D Even modern budget 720p projectors throw a wonderful picture so try not to get too caught up in all the marketing hype whilst listening to over egged enthusiasm on this forum.

I'd disagree with Mad Monks view but then thats aloud. having said that with projectors performance can be substantially improved by changing the environment that you're using it in, light control is exceptionally important a slightly cheaper projector in a good room will impress more than an expensive projector in a bright room generally. I've compared the JVC models to the Panasonic and it was easy to identify the JVC.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom